Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I do wonder, in a macabre way, that if guns were as easy to get hold off in this country as the USA, whether suicide rates would be higher?

I very rarely have dark thoughts like that, but If I was inclined to off myself, i'd imagine a gun would be the easiest way. 

Just now, Xela said:

I do wonder, in a macabre way, that if guns were as easy to get hold off in this country as the USA, whether suicide rates would be higher?

I very rarely have dark thoughts like that, but If I was inclined to off myself, i'd imagine a gun would be the easiest way. 

I think it absolutely would, there are more suicides than homicides in the US gun death statistics :(

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

On a fairly regular basis I find myself humming the You've Been Framed theme tune to myself.

I haven't watched You've been framed in at least a decade. Probably 2 decades. 
It's not a particularly good theme tune.
I can't think of anything that sounds similar that I hear regularly that could put it into my head.

Why does this happen?

I do the exact same thing with YBF.  Also Call My Bluff, University Challenge, Antiques Roadshow and the X-Files.  Must be something that gets rooted deep in your brain when growing up because bar University Challenge I've not watched them in donkey's.

21 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I do the exact same thing with YBF.  Also Call My Bluff, University Challenge, Antiques Roadshow and the X-Files.  Must be something that gets rooted deep in your brain when growing up because bar University Challenge I've not watched them in donkey's.

Two things always happen at the start of UC: I insert the 'bong!' sound which used to be present in the old 'bells' theme tune (actually the second one, I never saw the original), and when he says "Asking the questions..." I say "Bamber Gascoigne'. 

Incidentally, I quite like Amol Rajan, except for his attempt at a trademark by asking the teams if they'd enjoyed it at the end of the programme. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Two things always happen at the start of UC: I insert the 'bong!' sound which used to be present in the old 'bells' theme tune (actually the second one, I never saw the original), and when he says "Asking the questions..." I say "Bamber Gascoigne'. 

Incidentally, I quite like Amol Rajan, except for his attempt at a trademark by asking the teams if they'd enjoyed it at the end of the programme. 

I would prefer Amol Rajan in a higher chair, it looks currently like he is a teeny tiny man in a normal sized chair.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

On a fairly regular basis I find myself humming the You've Been Framed theme tune to myself.

I haven't watched You've been framed in at least a decade. Probably 2 decades. 
It's not a particularly good theme tune.
I can't think of anything that sounds similar that I hear regularly that could put it into my head.

Why does this happen?

Every time I see a squirrel I start singing the Mission Impossible theme tune. I think it's from an old advert.

Is that correct?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Xela said:

Heroin overdose ftw

16 hours ago, Xela said:

They say when you drown you enter a state of calmness part of the way through. If that's true, I would pick this.

27 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

They say when you drown you enter a state of calmness part of the way through. If that's true, I would pick this.

I've never believed that for a moment. Whenever I've been swimming, and even momentarily swallowed/inhaled water, it has rated as one of the most unpleasant, panic-inducing experiences ever. It's getting from that to 'part of the way through' that would rule it out for me. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've never believed that for a moment. Whenever I been swimming, and even momentarily swallowed/inhaled water, it has rated as one of the most unpleasant, panic-inducing experiences ever. It's getting from that to 'part of the way through' that would rule it out for me. 

It's a tough one to prove I know

30 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

yep  Carling IIRC. This is why I hate advertising :D

Yes and No. Carling bought that footage from the BBC documentary Daylight Robbery. The MI Theme is definitely from the advert though

Â