Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

In " Raiders Of The Lost Ark" the Nazis capture the ark and transport it by submarine. Indiana Jones is seen climbing onto the submarine.  How did he survive the journey outside the sub?  How did he avoid detection inside the sub?  Why would the submarine travel the entire distance on the surface with such a valuable cargo. 

What happens when you put milk in a soda stream?  Has anyone drunk fizzy milk? 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

In " Raiders Of The Lost Ark" the Nazis capture the ark and transport it by submarine. Indiana Jones is seen climbing onto the submarine.  How did he survive the journey outside the sub?  How did he avoid detection inside the sub?  Why would the submarine travel the entire distance on the surface with such a valuable cargo. 

Submarines travel faster surfaced using diesel engines whilst charging the electric engines used when submerged , the need to dive would only be if there was some form of threat which in 1936 there wouldn’t have been ? 

Hell of a long shot by Doctor Jones though

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Submarines travel faster surfaced using diesel engines whilst charging the electric engines used when submerged , the need to dive would only be if there was some form of threat which in 1936 there wouldn’t have been

Great answer. 

But do you have a soda stream? 

• Haha 2

Just now, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Great answer. 

But do you have a soda stream? 

Ha

Well I was thinking about that answer as well…. When I was in the DPRK I had an alcoholic milk drink that was made with fizzy rice wine , it was quite decent  , enough that I had more than one at least :) 

where I’m not sure is that I think the milk element might have been lost in translation as I think even though the drink has a nickname of “ fight milk”  I don’t think it contains any milk 

so soda-stream it might have to be :) 

When I worked in a bar I was able to sample most variations of most drinks.

You could make a fizzy Baileys, but you couldn’t make a fizzy version of the knock off second tier brands like Irish Mist or Merlyn. Those ones would have a chemical reaction and separate.

Similarly submarine related.

20,000 leagues under the sea, the 1954 version. Spoiler for something that happens about a third of the way into the film -

If I remember correctly, Nemo tests the professor’s loyalty by locking him and his two companions out of the Nautilus and then going below water to see whether or not the professor would abandon his mates and take up Nemo’s offer of joining him.

When they’re going under water, all three of them locked outside the Nautilus are holding onto the vessel with limited success (only Kirk Douglas has any joy, Peter Lorre is kidding himself). Why exactly would you hold onto it as it’s going under water? You haven’t got a great chance treading water in the open sea, but you have a lot more chance of survival than you have by holding both the submarine and your breath while it descends to the ocean floor. And if you’re calling his bluff, you may as well let go and just float until he comes back up.

That’s my wondering about plot details in old films this week. Next week it’s why the Baileys seemingly built their homes on a cemetery in It’s a Wonderful Life.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Submarines travel faster surfaced using diesel engines whilst charging the electric engines used when submerged , the need to dive would only be if there was some form of threat which in 1936 there wouldn’t have been ? 

I am no expert on submarines.  Nor do I speak German.  Is the submarine diving at the start of this clip??

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Ha

Well I was thinking about that answer as well…. When I was in the DPRK I had an alcoholic milk drink that was made with fizzy rice wine , it was quite decent  , enough that I had more than one at least :) 

where I’m not sure is that I think the milk element might have been lost in translation as I think even though the drink has a nickname of “ fight milk”  I don’t think it contains any milk 

so soda-stream it might have to be :) 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am no expert on submarines.  Nor do I speak German.  Is the submarine diving at the start of this clip??

I thought the sub also dived as they left the ship the Germans had boarded , I seem to recall  there is  a scene where the boat crew are cheering him and he salutes them ?  Googling it it appears The script originally had Jones using his whip and attaching himself to the submarines snorkel ( these weren’t invented  at the time ) but apparently they forgot to film the screen !!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Ok……..whilst we are on the subject of milk……. 
Thousands of years ago an early human decided to drink the bodily fluids of a cow.  It caught on.  
What else did this maniac try before he got it right? 

Interestingly, it’s really only European humans who have the lactose tolerance. Obviously we’ve spread around the world since then, but other parts of humanity are not able to drink milk without upsetting their digestive systems

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Interestingly, it’s really only European humans who have the lactose tolerance. Obviously we’ve spread around the world since then, but other parts of humanity are not able to drink milk without upsetting their digestive systems

Why would anyone want to drink milk,without cornflakes/weet bix,etc added to it ?

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Reading this article it suggests all infants can digest milk and then something changes as you enter adulthood , weird how the body works !

All humans can digest milk in infancy. But the ability to do so as an adult developed fairly recently, likely in the past 6000 years. A handful of mutations allows adults to produce the enzyme lactase, which can break down the milk sugar lactose. Genes that enable what's called lactase persistence are widespread in modern Africa, which has four known lactase persistence mutations. (European populations rely on just one.)

Edited by tonyh29

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Reading this article it suggests all infants can digest milk and then something changes as you enter adulthood , weird how the body works !

We'd be pretty screwed as a species if infants couldn't digest milk.

Lactase production has a cost and at some point was selected against past infancy. Once we domesticated cattle and had ready access to dairy products, the trait to maintain lactase production into adulthood would have started to be selected when it recurred.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Ok……..whilst we are on the subject of milk……. 
Thousands of years ago an early human decided to drink the bodily fluids of a cow.  It caught on.  
What else did this maniac try before he got it right? 

You think that's weird? I want to know how the actual **** they invented the cheese process. What they hell were they thinking mixing in the digestive juices on calves with milk. What on earth were they thinking? 

Next up, I wonder what happens if I scrape off the goop between a horses hoof and mash it together with crushed strawberries. 

I've never tried milk in a soda stream but I did try and make orange milk by mixing it with orange squash. I can confirm that doesn't work and is **** horrible. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â