Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

14 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

What ads? ;)

Only recently did I realise that people have their own chosen nickname by their user name, for some reason I thought it was hierarchical based on number of posts, daft I know. I've been on here a few months now prob since the time of Tony's takeover. So I'll donate and I assume that gets rid of the ads then. Can't think of a good nickname though... Especially since I picked the blandest username possible. 

Edit, also what actually gets discussed in Clearing In The Woods, is that a whole sub level of forum?

also actually while I'm here, when you see the words 'clearing in the woods' in a forum post , is that an automated replacement where someone has used the C word? And 'word removed' is the f word? Always wondered that. Match threads have many clearings in the woods and many words removed!

Edited by Midfielder

26 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

How does Davina McCall get commissioned for another heartfelt TV show?

Probably for the same reason Paul O'Grady keeps getting shows about bloody animals; because there is a large portion of the population who likes shit TV.

I don't really get the hate for Davina though. She doesn't do anything I watch anymore but I think she's a good presenter and likeable.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

For me, I listen to a lot of Talksport. I genuinely think that some of the programs are often superb programming. I have a love hate relationship with Adrian Durham. Sometimes, I think he is absolutely spot on, sometimes he winds me up massively. Almost like a Katie Hopkins. Goughy is usually spot on.

same with Andy Goldstein and the funboy Jason Cundy, sometimes as a pair they're spot on, but sometimes Cundy really comes across as a total nob (and he probably is). 

Back to Durham though, on his rant days he's unbearable. I know that's part of their show, to almost polarise, but sometimes... I could beat him senseless. 

58 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Only recently did I realise that people have their own chosen nickname by their user name, for some reason I thought it was hierarchical based on number of posts, daft I know. I've been on here a few months now prob since the time of Tony's takeover. So I'll donate and I assume that gets rid of the ads then. Can't think of a good nickname though... Especially since I picked the blandest username possible. 

You don't get to choose these yourself I'm afraid. They are bestowed up on you by the powers that be. Usually following admitting your "relationships" with house hold cleaning appliances, or your love for HBO chick shows. There's no telling if or when you'll get one, but it is an honour that some receive. 

7 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

You don't get to choose these yourself I'm afraid. They are bestowed up on you by the powers that be. Usually following admitting your "relationships" with house hold cleaning appliances, or your love for HBO chick shows. There's no telling if or when you'll get one, but it is an honour that some receive. 

Ah I see. I'll be on good behaviour from now on then. Payday was yesterday. Thanks Dave

• Like 2

Just now, Midfielder said:

I don't mind Goughy, he's sometimes raw and speaks like a fan and really goes at Durham when Durham needs going at. Same as Goldstein does with Cundy. 

Yeah, it's almost as though they have been told to have opposing views...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah, it's almost as though they have been told to have opposing views...

For sure. The polarising. Sometimes one of the takes an indefensible stance on a topic and sticks with it. Bit like debating really but so,etimes when you're driving , Durham probably contributes a few per cent of the road rage incidents that happen in rush hour in the Uk. Not all the time, but when he's on one. Gets people phoning in though and thats what they want. 

Where on youtube I can find the episode or clip from '8 out of 10 cats' where Sean Lock mimics someone using an electrolarynx at a smokers group meet, asking for someone to open the window.

I've searched so long for that and can't find it.  When I saw the episode at the time I cried laughing and couldn't see the TV for about 5 minutes.

Someone help!

On 02/11/2016 at 21:08, Midfielder said:

also actually while I'm here, when you see the words 'clearing in the woods' in a forum post , is that an automated replacement where someone has used the C word? And 'word removed' is the f word? Always wondered that. Match threads have many clearings in the woods and many words removed!

'word removed' - the c word

'clearing in the woods - the t word

'****' - the f word

'rocket polisher' - the w word

• Like 1

Whilst we're on the subject, does that mean I'm okay to type the swear word then, because the filter gets rid of it? I've never done it, because I always think I'll still get told off.

On nicknames, I got mine by posting a picture of my tongue which looks like Gordon Ramsey after falling asleep on a sunbed. So perhaps posting a pic of an embarrassing body part is a way in?

I was embarrassingly delighted when I got my nickname, such an honour.

13 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I sometimes wonder what The Understudy is up to these days. 

I always find it a bit weird when you get some posters who suddenly just one day disappear? Like, why?

What happened to Gareth? 

Â