Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Why we wear helmets on a bicycle but not in a car.

Seat Belts and Air bags are seen as better forms of safely in a car but not on a bike for obvious reasons

• Like 1

Seat Belts and Air bags are seen as better forms of safely in a car but not on a bike for obvious reasons
I'm not going to start wearing a helmet in a car, the neighbours would get you sectioned but I do wonder whether it would be safer.

Since I am not English myself, I always wondered at the word 'extraordinary'.

If ordinary means common, something everyday, and extra means something greater, almost a multiplication, why does 'extra' in front of the 'ordinary' make it something rare and special?

If I called somebody 'extra-idiotic' would that make them a genius?

Edited by Mic09

I'm not going to start wearing a helmet in a car, the neighbours would get you sectioned but I do wonder whether it would be safer.

How about wearing a helmet when walking around the high street? Could protect you from a nasty fall or any falling debris (from a building or a comet)

Why do postmen always wear shorts?

Yes, that has struck me as well. You'd think that with the dog thing, they'd wear armoured trousers.
  • Like 1

I believe it's an unwritten rule that postmen wear shorts, like a badge of honour kind of thing. Anyone who does their round in trousers is seen as a bit of a second-class citizen.

Do they make the second class one's do the afternoon delivery?

(That's an age related joke - in olden times your first class post turned up in the morning, second class post turned up mid afternoon. Now of course, all post turns up mid afternoon, some of it with more stamps than others)

Â