Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

But by 'only scoring goals' he actually weakens the team. He doesn't hold the ball like Benteke, nor can he stretch a defence like gabby, so in the end the ball comes back more and put our midfield and defense under more pressure.

Ha ha. A striker who is criticised because he only scores goals (about 1 every 2 games for those who haven't been counting)?

Whatever next?

It isn't his goal scoring that is questioned though and in fairness the question marks over the rest of his game have followed him throughout his career.

Scoring goals isn't always enough, especially when there is another player around who can score just as many but who contributes far more to the team.

Bent is a great goal scorer but we are a better team with Benteke supported by Weimann and Gabby.

I agree that Bent is not the best team-player and I know Benteke is better, but saying Bent isn't playing because we are better off without him is pretty dull when we have just had an abysmal season finishing 15th! Goalscoring has been a huge problem all season, except for the strange result against Sunderland a few weeks back. I hope Darren Bent stays, because he is good enough to play more than he has done this season. All depends on Benteke really..

I don't think anyone is criticising Bent. Everyone is saying he's a great goal scorer, which is the main attribute to his game. But... Benteke is twice the player of Bent. So, it's a shame for Darren but we need to do what's best for this football club, and unfortunately having him unhappy on the bench earning more money than the other lads probably isn't the best thing. He just doesn't do enough to get in our first 11, and it's the best thing for Bent and for Villa if he leaves. 

I agree that Bent is not the best team-player and I know Benteke is better, but saying Bent isn't playing because we are better off without him is pretty dull when we have just had an abysmal season finishing 15th! Goalscoring has been a huge problem all season, except for the strange result against Sunderland a few weeks back. I hope Darren Bent stays, because he is good enough to play more than he has done this season. All depends on Benteke really..

he is a fantastic finisher, but if we'd played him more, especially back when we couldn't buy a goal i doubt he'd have sorted the problems out. he doesn't create and that was the problem, we weren't creating goal scoring chances until we hit on the magic gabby-benteke-weimann up top formation.

bottom line is we can't afford to be giving bent the amount of money he is on to be on the bench, ignoring the financial side i'd love bent to stay. if, and it's a huge if, he could be arsed to fight for his place we would have a very strong attack. promote grealish to the squad, and we'd have a pan b of grealish left, alby right and bent through the middle if plan a didn't work out. just tell the wide men to get the ball in the mixer as much as possible and bent would score.

i doubt we'll carry on paying his wages though for a squad player. it's a huge outlay in resources that could be better spent looking for the next darren bent if we do want a plan b with a poacher...

I think he could play upfront with Benteke in a 4-4-2 if we had the right wide players ..which currently we don't even then most teams like ourselves favour the 4-3-3 formation now and in that formation Benteke is going to be the first pick.Lambert said as much himself over the weekend.If Benteke had not been scoring / injured / off form Bent would have played more.

As it is on high wages and not first pick it seems like its best for AVFC and Bent himself to move.

I think he could play upfront with Benteke in a 4-4-2 if we had the right wide players ..which currently we don't even then most teams like ourselves favour the 4-3-3 formation now and in that formation Benteke is going to be the first pick.Lambert said as much himself over the weekend.If Benteke had not been scoring / injured / off form Bent would have played more.

As it is on high wages and not first pick it seems like its best for AVFC and Bent himself to move.

If you look at all the runs he made yesterday, with the right balls he could have scored a hatful of goals. It could work in a 4-4-2 but where would that leave Gabby and Weimann.

We should look to sell Bent this summer, purely because we cannot afford to have a player on £70k/week sat on the bench for 90% of the season. He'll be on more than Benteke and financially it doesn't make sense.

There are so many players like Ireland, Given, Dunne and Bent that take up so much of the clubs finances each year, but next season will contribute very little if they stick around.

This thread over the course of a season has taken a huge u-turn for the majority of posters. Suddenly I dont feel so alone :)

For the avoidance of doubt I would just like to say I think the opposite of whatever position is held by Woodytom at any time whatsoever. Thank you please ;)

This thread over the course of a season has taken a huge u-turn for the majority of posters. Suddenly I dont feel so alone :)

For the avoidance of doubt I would just like to say I think the opposite of whatever position is held by Woodytom at any time whatsoever. Thank you please ;)

Haha

It can not be denied (not that Im smug of clearly being proved right  ;) ) that I was getting absolute pelters from day 1 for acknowledging that Darren Bent is indeed a good goalscorer but highlighting that when he doesn't score he offers zero else. 

Now all that needs to happen is for 'Paul Scholes isnt that great' and 'Heskey is a genius' to be proven right  :D

Werent United 5-2 up when Scholes came on? (Strongly clutches at a mountain of straws).

Edited by Woodytom

Well my opinion of Darren Bent hasn't changed really, but my opinion of what's best for Villa has. Benteke has made it impossible for Bent to stay here imo.  

Well my opinion of Darren Bent hasn't changed really, but my opinion of what's best for Villa has. Benteke has made it impossible for Bent to stay here imo.  

But isnt that because Benteke has proven there are cheaper, better and more complete strikers available and that the 24m on Bent could have been spent much wiser?

Haha

It can not be denied (not that Im smug of clearly being proved right  ;) ) that I was getting absolute pelters from day 1 for acknowledging that Darren Bent is indeed a good goalscorer but highlighting that when he doesn't score he offers zero else. 

Now all that needs to happen is for 'Paul Scholes isnt that great' and 'Heskey is a genius' to be proven right  :D

Werent United 5-2 up when Scholes came on? (Strongly clutches at a mountain of straws).

I always agreed he was a limited player, in the past his goal scoring was enough to warrant his place in the side perhaps in part due to the strength of the creative players around him at the time. People like Downing and Young but since their departures and the lack of creativity we've had for 2 seasons in terms of chances being created this was no longer enough. I always agreed with you that he didn't offer a lot else, I think we just differed on if we thought that acceptable or not, at the time myself and a lot of others didn't much think it mattered.

We needed someone more mobile, someone who could play with their back to goal and for the team and Bent has never been those things.

Still a good player mind, in the right side he would still score plenty of goals but at 29 I wouldn't want us to be trying to build a team around him.

As for your views on Scholes, you are bat shit crazy man :)

But isnt that because Benteke has proven there are cheaper, better and more complete strikers available and that the 24m on Bent could have been spent much wiser?

I think everyone thought it could have been at the time once they got over the euphoria of the signing itself.

It was stupid money spent by a crap manager and a desperate chairman with little clue about what he is/was doing.

• Like 1

Â