Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Generally shots per game will decrease with minutes. If you compared shots per game with minutes per game, it'd give a more accurate representation.

Fair shout - I guess they didn't average it over minutes.

Put aside for a moment any opinions about whether he's overweight, doesn't care, doesn't try, is selfish, has been mishandled by Lambert, is a victim of a manager's playing style that denies him the service he needs, etc.

And think for a moment whether, in any of his appearances so far this season (of which there have been significantly more than I would have expected), he has even touched the ball. I really can't recall seeing him touch the ball at all. I'm sure it's happened, but probably only a couple of times. Regardless of whose fault it is, if he doesn't touch the ball he isn't going to score or contribute in any other way. Gabby and Weimann may not be doing great things with the ball a lot of the time, but they at least have opportunities and occasionally seize them simply because they're on the ball a fair bit during the game.

His minutes per goal were better in a relegated Fulham team than Gabby/Weimann last season. Hardly decades ago. But let's stick with what isn't working. When we are in the Championship they can score. Maybe.

Spot on.

If what the current attacking players was doing was working I could get some of the arguments to persist with them.

The reality is we have a team that has scored 1 goal in 7 games and is the lowest scorers in the premier league and in fact no team in the entire football league has scored fewer than us. It is not working therefore change it!

Bent has scored more goals than Gabby, Benteke and Weimann combined in league football. I blame Lambert for not using him correctly and not making the most out of what was a huge outlay for the club.

Bent should start the next game but sadly out failed manager will probably want to 'go again' with the same flawed tactics and therefore get the same woefully bad results.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

The only players that HAVE scored for us have been Gabby and Weimann though... would Bent fair any better with a lack of creativity behind him given that he's strengths in the past have been movement to get on the end of things, rather than work hard/create chances for himself?

You could very well be right. But 1 goal in the past 7 games isn't great. Would we have fared better with Bent in the side? Maybe, maybe not. But we won't know if we don't try anything new. Sticking to something that doesn't work is a recipe for disaster. If Bent was given a chance and we still were showing little up top, then fair enough.

• Like 1

The only players that HAVE scored for us have been Gabby and Weimann though... would Bent fair any better with a lack of creativity behind him given that he's strengths in the past have been movement to get on the end of things, rather than work hard/create chances for himself?

He might struggle but 1 goal in 7 tells me its worth trying something different.

Take Gabby - 2 goals in 9 starts and set up zero goals. It's going to be a struggle for Bent to do worse than that!

We don't create many chances but if a chance does come by Bent is more likely to score it IMO than Gabby. Taking Gabby out of the team who has set up zero goals isn't suddenly going to impact our creativity in a negative way. With him in the team we have been awful in an attacking sense.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

You could very well be right. But 1 goal in the past 7 games isn't great. Would we have fared better with Bent in the side? Maybe, maybe not. But we won't know if we don't try anything new. Sticking to something that doesn't work is a recipe for disaster. If Bent was given a chance and we still were showing little up top, then fair enough.

That's where I am with the whole front line, especially with Benteke suspended. It can't be any worse, although a lot of that is down to the way we set up.

i can't see how giving Bent a starting place will hurt considering we aint scoring.unless hes not pulling his weight in trainin if thats the case fair enough but id be alot more confident of him takin a chance should one come along than Gabby

Edited by Villan81

There absolutely no point putting Bent into a team which creates very little chances and that's where we are. Bent is only effective when the other 10 players are trying to set up him with scoring opportunties. That was fine when we played with wingers and had a midfield that didn't only pass sideways or backwards it worked well.

We've scored 1 goal in 7 and got 1 point in 7.

It can't get worse playing bent.

Its not about getting worse it's about how we get better. Can it get better with Bent ?

I don't think its gets better playing the same style and players over and over again. I think we need a new approach and maybe bent starting a few games does that.

The definition of insanity: Keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

We haven't lost or drawn or won every single game this season.

Edited by bobzy

Â