Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I don't think we'll shift much of the 'bomb squad' until the end of the window, Darren included. We're still a month off that. He's going to look a decent prospect as a panic option to somebody after a couple of losses in a the first few games as guaranteed goals for 6million. I think we're right to hold out and Randy should just stump up the cash in the short term for any extra additions Lambert wants. The money from these players will come eventually. 

Its an excellent point Richard but if he had played 20 plus games last season in Lambert's system then he probably would have struggled in the same way as he did playing for he who should not be named due to the system not suiting him.

Its unfair to judge Bent playing in two systems which didn't suit him and better to judge him on the system that did.

All fine.

The conversation is moot either way. He doesn't fit this system and I really like this system, I'm struggling to understand why anyone wouldn't. We're exciting going forward for the first time in quite a while.

So no more Bent. Job done.

Yes the system is exciting but it's too reliant on one player.

Bent gone, Benteke injured, who do we slot in there. Gabby maybe but i'm not sure he is prolific enough.

Benteke gone next summer?

We'll need to spend a fair chunk of what we get for him to replace not only his hold up play but the ability to conjure goals out of nothing.

Like i said too reliant on one player and we will need a plan B that works should the worst happen or Benteke needs resting. 

I think with the additions already this window and the extra experience the youngsters have, we already have a decent plan b?

I mean a few years ago Gabby was leading the line and looking great, and his pace is still enough to frighten the bejesus out of opponents, Weimenn played the majority of his academy days as a striker and Helenius has spent his career to date doing the same. Obviously none of these are going to be as effective as BennyTekkers, but as a plan b I think we are looking good - Bent is definitely surplus to requirements.

Bent gone, Benteke injured, who do we slot in there. Gabby maybe but i'm not sure he is prolific enough.

We'll need to spend a fair chunk of what we get for him to replace not only his hold up play but the ability to conjure goals out of nothing.

Like i said too reliant on one player and we will need a plan B that works should the worst happen or Benteke needs resting. 

You weren't at the Wigan game then I suspect, Bar his goal he did nothing to warrant the role of a lone striker. We were constantly on the backfoot. Bent is not an ideal replacement for Benteke in any situation, we have Helenius, Gabby. Also Weimann could do a similar job to Bent as the main striker.

Yeah he did that last season at the start I think. It was a bit weird though although he had Ireland & KEA in the middle but dropped deep then Bannan & Holman out very wide but forward slightly with Bent & Weimann up front. Over time he tucked Bannan & Holman in narrower (by the Southampton game) and swapped out Weimann for Takkers trying to fix what was wrong.

Eventually he decided what was wrong was that to cover the gap in front of your two DM's you either need to tuck in your wider midfielders or your forwards need to track back a lot. Bent couldnt/wouldnt do that so he dropped him then settled on 3 up front with the hardworking Gabby & Weimann dropping back to fill the gaps out wide and tekkers as the target man.

Yes, we are over reliant on our best player. Like pretty much every club in the land.

If/When Benteke leaves we will need to replace him, yes.

Yes fair point but top half teams (which we want) have several players they can rely on and since Benteke is head and shoulders above anyone else in our team if we lose him i don't think we have enough to compensate and we will consequently struggle.

Fenebarche have come in for him now too. Only a matter of time with Darren.

If true.....

They have the Arse in the Champs League qualifyer. Send 'em a DVD of the game when Bent scored 2 at the Emirates a couple of years ago!

Yes fair point but top half teams (which we want) have several players they can rely on and since Benteke is head and shoulders above anyone else in our team if we lose him i don't think we have enough to compensate and we will consequently struggle.

Morpheus, I think you're obsessing over the wrong details. Last season was Lambert's first season and we weren't particularly blessed with a squad full of options. If Lambert gets all the transfer deals done that he wants I guarantee he would have thought about contingencies for Benteke getting injured. That's where I think people like Tonev and (potentially) Kiyotake come in. As a squad we'll be more dynamic. We have a more balanced squad this year, because Lambert has now had more of an opportunity to buy and sell. But as someone else said though Benteke IS our best player and all other teams rely to a degree on their best players. There is no point having someone so underused and overpaid as Darren Bent. Have a bit of faith that Lambert will use the money gained by selling Bent (from wages saved and transfer fee) on a player or two who have more impact than Bent over the course of a season. 

I agree praised mambo, we have many options going forward aside from benteke at the point as option 1 and Bent doesn't add in if you look.

Gabby Benteke Weimann

With Sylla Westwood Delph

Or Helenius/ Pick 2 Delph Sylla Westwood KEA Gardner

If Benteke is injured

Gabby Helenius Weimann

Or N'Zogbia Gabby Weimann...

A lot of interesting options to check out. Bent is quality and except for the match day shopping trip has been professional. He and the club know its time to transfer. Darren, thanks for your goals against Arsenal in the first season. Cheers.

Â