9.0 quake hits Japan

Cracker1234

Just been speaking on Skype to a business contact from Korea who was in Tokyo for an exhibition. Apparently everything was falling off stands, exhibition hall now closed and can't use the elevator at the hotel (which she's the only person left in). And this is in Tokyo, it must be really incredibly bad closer to the epicentre.

And I'm a bad human being because my first thought was "This is going to slow my bloody order down". :oops:

watching this is upsetting! They are saying that the wave is bigger than some islands they are going to be engulfed, worrying is that some of these islands are populated from 100000 to a million people

Watching real time replay of the tsunami wave hitting. Horrendous stuff. Watching a ship being thrown around like a toy :(
There is one bit where you can see the wave sweeping in across farmlands and a truck trying to get out of its way but it gets blocked by abandoned cars so the guys try and outrun the wave

Japan declared a nuclear emergency at a plant in the north east. Apparently reactor is secure but the water pump to cool it is knackered and the emergency shut down procedure isn't working.

Some news outlets are reporting this as an 8.9 magnitude.

Worringly a nearby nuclear reactor has been damaged by the Earthquake & failed & they can't get coolant into the core at the moment as the pumping system has been damaged.

Â