• Downing
    • A Young
    • Albrighton
    • Delph
    • Reo-Coker
    • Bent
    • Petrov (for Delph 77)
    • Agbonlahor (for Albrighton 83)

First of all, people that actually saw the game will know that this defeat was not GH's fault. We went there to win the game and could/should have been out of sight, we missed 3 chances I could have put away and a penalty and we still can't defend set pieces and Bolton knew it.

If you didn't see the game, then you probably would have thought "Houllier's fault" but wait until you see highlights, jesus christ our finishing was awful, that is not the managements fault! Believe me I was as angry at GH after Wednesday as the next Villa fan so am not his greatest fan! It's an absolute tragedy we lost that game today and everyone knows it, 3 Bolton fans said the same after the match, they feel guilty walking away with 3 points. But the records will say Bolton 3-2 Aston Villa and nothing else, sums up our season IMO. Gutted...

The problem is when we play worse than the opposition we generally lose and when we play better than the opposition we generally lose so by default there must be something wrong with the management of the situation.

Without making too many excuses today we were missing three big centre backs. Which made a hidge differnce. All though I still really fancied us to get a result there.

I when we started playing a CB at RB a few years ago, I did not understand the logic, but i grew to love the 3 CBS, as we has one of the best defenses.

We need to start playing with 3 CBS and LB this is evident from our defending today and the rest of the season. Are there any people that think we should still play 2 CBs?

Went up there today full of hope and came back with yet another ruined weekend !!

Just a brief run down on certain players I feel need to be single out..

Friedal - He's had a great couple of seasons for us but If I had any doubts that he was finished today put paid to them - USELESS.

Walker - What a star this kid Is going to be my joint MOTM.

L.Young - I thought he was great considering his 1st game back and out of position.

Downing - Full of energy and played well - Missed a complete sitter tho.

A.Young - Did **** all apart from winning about 30 free kicks. His set plays were shocking like the pen miss.

Albrighton - I reckon Robinsons heads still spinning he completely destroyed him joint MOTM.

Bent - He should have had at least a hatrick maybe 4 If he had the balls to tell Ash he's a penalty taker.

Without making too many excuses today we were missing three big centre backs. Which made a hidge differnce. All though I still really fancied us to get a result there.

I when we started playing a CB at RB a few years ago, I did not understand the logic, but i grew to love the 3 CBS, as we has one of the best defenses.

We need to start playing with 3 CBS and LB this is evident from our defending today and the rest of the season. Are there any people that think we should still play 2 CBs?

Let me have a think about that for a micro second. No, I don't think we should have 3 centre backs. If that was the route to success then Ferguson, Wenger, Redknapp, Ancelotti and Mancini plus quite a few others must be getting it wrong year upon year.

First of all, people that actually saw the game will know that this defeat was not GH's fault. We went there to win the game and could/should have been out of sight, we missed 3 chances I could have put away and a penalty and we still can't defend set pieces and Bolton knew it.

If you didn't see the game, then you probably would have thought "Houllier's fault" but wait until you see highlights, jesus christ our finishing was awful, that is not the managements fault! Believe me I was as angry at GH after Wednesday as the next Villa fan so am not his greatest fan! It's an absolute tragedy we lost that game today and everyone knows it, 3 Bolton fans said the same after the match, they feel guilty walking away with 3 points. But the records will say Bolton 3-2 Aston Villa and nothing else, sums up our season IMO. Gutted...

Spot on Wedge! GH brought a £18m striker to address our goalscoring problem but the £!8m man should've walked away with the matchball at least. Then at the other end we have an untried back four in terms of them play together. Yes we need to defend better at corners but I can't see this is Houlliers problem it certain looks like we are set up correctly to defend the corners but the players are reacting slowly to the crosses.

I was fuming after getting home early on Thurdsay morning with Houllier but he can't be blamed for the poor finishing/marking today.

Ashley Young should never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever take a penalty again. He is piss poor at them.

This! been saying it for ages! i can never watch when he takes one

Just got back. reaction - not too disappointed, I expected a draw and I thought we were very hard done by by the ref - Elmander should not have been on the pitch just before the HT whistle. Bent was substandard todat, Ash was terrible. Petrov should never EVER play for us again, and Albrighton was very good. Walker was brilliant, my MOTM. Petrov wasn't anywhere near the threat he has been this season, Walker kept him out the game. Thought Lung looked good coming back from a lengthy layout, Friedel was poor, Baker was poor, Clark was very good IMO, shut Kevin Davies up despite him getting away with his customary elbowing.

The things which are costing us at the minute are 1) We don't close down enough. 2) We can't defend set pieces.

Still a cracking day out, and let me take this opportunity to blast the Bolton fans, they were pathetic. Villa fans were great and I had a crackiing time, the banter with their mascot was hilarious. All in all a good day out despite the result.

Onto Wolves! And Makouns back.

We have 4 or 5 quality CB's

use them

simple as

Let me have a think about that for a micro second. No, I don't think we should have 3 centre backs. If that was the route to success then Ferguson, Wenger, Redknapp, Ancelotti and Mancini plus quite a few others must be getting it wrong year upon year.

So are you comparing us on a like to like basis with United, Arsenal City ect.

We are knowhere as good as those teams - thats the point. If we had the players that those teams had then I would def say you are right but we dont.

Whats your evidence for this? Heres mine...!

How Many Goals from corners have we lately?

How many clean sheets have we kept recently?

How many set pieces have we conceded from lately?

Was our defense better this year or last year....!

Yardi Yarda Yardi....!

Although Walker does look quality...!

8)

We are knowhere as good as those teams - thats the point. If we had the players that those teams had then I would def say you are right but we dont.

Yardi Yarda Yardi....!

8)

Yardi Yarda Yardi.... how very immature.

So you think having 3 centre backs and a left back is the way we should play? Why not 3 centre backs and a right back or is it that we are okay at left back and weak on the right side s a centre back at right full back is the solution. Be interested to know your experience as a player, coach and manager.

Shit ginger lion, shit ginger liiiiiiionnnnnn :lol:

NRC motm for me, we shouldve drawn at the least, despite the defense. I'm (not) lookin forward to seeing Bent's early miss...I have no idea how he didn't slide it past the keeper. Really needed one of Cullar/Dunne/Collins in there, who is next due back? Call me naive but I don't think we wouldve conceded more than 1 with 2 of them in the team

Collins failed a late fitness test. Cuellar should be back for Saturday. Dunne is out for at least a month.

NRC was very good, Walker edged it for me though. Albrighton and Clark were the other stand out players for us. Once we cut out the stupid set piece conceding we will be a real force.

Shit ginger lion was a personal highlight!

Yardi Yarda Yardi....!

8)

Yardi Yarda Yardi.... how very immature.

So you think having 3 centre backs and a left back is the way we should play? Why not 3 centre backs and a right back or is it that we are okay at left back and weak on the right side s a centre back at right full back is the solution. Be interested to know your experience as a player, coach and manager.

This is only my opinion and it does not mean I am right, are forums not about people opinions...!

What I think is this:

We need to improve our defense massively.We need to be able to win headers from set pieces. as well as when we have set pieces (it seems ages since we last scored from a corner). We need to win more 50/50s and dominate tackles and blocks and be more physical. I think that 3 center backs would help us to do this. Our records from the last few years show that we have had an awesome defense where we would do all the above on a regular basis. Hence finishing 6th and getting to Wembley twice. This season has been the opposite and we have rarely played with three center backs. I am not saying its as simple as this as there is more to it.

You have to be a top coach, player or Manager to notice that something needs to be done defensively within the team, is that the point you were trying to make?

You could be right with 3 centre backs and a right back.

Who would you like to see starting defense?

Would you agree that some thing needs to be done with the defense?

Apologies if you were offended by the Yardi Yarda Yarda, did not mean anything by it!!!

Walker Dunne Collins Clarke, same logic.

As for today, i think you deserve to concede from a corner if you dont have a man on each post, schoolboy, but you see it so often.

Haven't watched the highlights but was at the match. First half Delph was on the back post at corners so if that was a hole when they scored after he went off it may be fair to assume it was Petrov's responsibility.

Cant believe we got nothing from this game. Fcking sad afternoon..We competed well but wasted too many great opportunities and we're shit defending set pieces. Still, mostly youth at the back today who are still learning the game.

My MOTM Downing. NRC not far behind and just wish we had deal in place for Walker! He's really come in and made a name for himself!

A bad bad day for our Ashley.. :(

Just watched the delayed broadcast over here on FSC. That was nowhere near as bad as I expected, based on many of the comments going around. Everybody was actually pretty decent on the whole, only to be undone yet again by poor finishing and simple, stupid errors at the back, namely the inability of the back four to clear and slowness to react to the second ball. Even taking their goals into account, we should've won 6-3.

Walker Dunne Collins Clarke, same logic.

As for today, i think you deserve to concede from a corner if you dont have a man on each post, schoolboy, but you see it so often.

Haven't watched the highlights but was at the match. First half Delph was on the back post at corners so if that was a hole when they scored after he went off it may be fair to assume it was Petrov's responsibility.

Cahills first goal, nobody anywhere near either post, i absolutely hate not doing something so simple but so important, absolutely awful stuff.

Â