• Downing
    • A Young
    • Albrighton
    • Delph
    • Reo-Coker
    • Bent
    • Petrov (for Delph 77)
    • Agbonlahor (for Albrighton 83)

Anyone else think Darren Bent has been shit since the day he joined?

Errr no.

He's scored 3 in 7, created chances with his movement and surprisingly good link up play. Weve almost scored 2 goals a game since his signed also.

He's signed halfway though a season, i dont expect the best out of him till next season, but put it this way he's been better that Torres, Carrol and Suarez so far and he was the cheapest.

Not seen GH that pissed off in a postgame interview before, not seen him really criticise a ref either like that.

What is he saying?

Just saying we were easily the better team, officials game some decisions very wrong and just generally being snappy with all the questions. Can tell he's very pissed off. Hope he gives the defenders a completely bollocking because that was a disgrace.

On the subject of Houllier's responsibility. He's responsible for our softness and lack of spirit. He's responsible for what happened on Weds against City and the effect that had on the boys.

But I think that's as far as it goes today. He picked the best team he could and they played well enough to win. The defence was a disaster because of who was in there. Nothing Houllier can do about that when Dunne, Collins and Cuellar are out.

Nope, the attacking players had to carry the team today and failed when it mattered, most glaringly with Ash's penalty miss. This one is on the players.

Anyone else think Darren Bent has been shit since the day he joined?

Errr no.

He's scored 3 in 7, created chances with his movement and surprisingly good link up play. Weve almost scored 2 goals a game since his signed also.

He's signed halfway though a season, i dont expect the best out of him till next season, but put it this way he's been better that Torres, Carrol and Suarez so far and he was the cheapest.

totally.

i would have been ok with Bent only having scored 1 goal so far for us... normally it can take a couple of months to settle into a new team.

Bent has done amazing, 3 goals (in 6 games?) is much better than expected.

it wasnt even a game of 2 halves, it was a game of 2 tactics ( yet again, sigh)

when we played downing on the left and alby on the right we had control of the game, the ball was being played at our tempo with it on the floor, attacks were flowing defence were coping and we were limiting them to a couple chances here and there.

walker was linking up well with alby who was ripping them apart down the right

downing was putting decent ball in and playing nice passes and looking to beat his man when on the left and was the extra body protecting left back

delph made some mis placed passed but for the first 40 minutes of the first half and the first 10 minutes of the second half, we had total contol of the game.

chances were being created at it was only a matter of time before we were going to score

those were the times when downing was on the left and alby was on the right.

only really brad concerned me, not coming off his line under any circumstances, it put the team under pressure. even downing literally jumping as high as he could in the air every time a bolton player came near him to avoid any sort of physical contact didnt really bother me because as a unit we were prety solid and were working well.

so over all a 8 out of 10 because we played good football and attacking football and were coping easily with their attacks

but then we have the **** shit crap which breaks the whole unit down which is to play the wingers on their wrong sides!

what a **** load of shit

we managed to score a good goal from this tactic so you would presume it works, right?

well wrong is the answer.

the first 10 minutes of the second half a stat came up on the screen attempts at goal in that 10 minutes bolton 1 aston villa 6

the first 40 minutes we had scored and not conceded, the second half first 10 we did not concede

but then lets look at the last 7 minutes of the first half, from playing great football and being in control to downing taking a left footed freekick when we were on the attack, he took it from the right hand side left footed, which makes sense.

but then he dicides to stay there and albly goes to the right

then we get 7 minutes of hoof ball where they totally dominate us having chances to score and then doing so.

2nd half, im relieved downing is on his proper side and we are ripping them apart, chances going begging and looking good for a couple more goals.

than for some reason the wingers are again switched ( you would have thought GH would have learned that this tactic may work 1 in 8 games but normally costs us, just like in the first half)

then what happens?

we start getting battered, we have abreak away ( great flick from young) and a good run from downing who hits in a cross for benty who just misses it, coming in at the far post ( just like when alby did it and downing came in) alby is at the far post and shoots. it goes in.

they attack again and again we have another break away where ( i admit it may have gone out but walker was fouled anyway) young gets bundled over. downing and alby were not involved in this move i dont recall? but they were still where they were.

but as soon as young missed ( i hope now that pens are handed to the rightful pen taker benty) i turned to my brother and said we would get stuffed 4-2 now because it was a couple breaks which got us ahead and they were in control now.

i will also only point out once to anyone who has an agenda and thinks im bashing downing, im bashing where he and alby are being played. just as i do when gabby our centre forward, is played on the leeft.. midfield.

it ruins any solidity in the team and may pay off maybe 1 game in 8?

utter shit, we were a pleasure to watch for those 50 minutes and then it was possibly 70/30 in boltons favour when the position switch was made.

im just wondering how many more games we will have to wait again to see a great atacking display from our wingers playing where they should?

the goal downing crossed and alby scored is the same as when downing missed an alby cross although i would say alby picked downing out and downing was putting his one in the danger area or for benty rather than picking out alby but that is picking hairs, he put it in there. but on their correct sides they put in cross after cross and we created shed loads of chances while keeping them at bay.

so for the times playing the wrong positions the team conceded 3 and scores 1 and loses control of the game and we create very little

a side note to ashley young

he did well and then was shit when it counted, not the penalty which was not his greatest effort, he put himself about and was thrown to the floor rammed and bundled over several times so i dont personally think he did much diving today, they treated him like john carew however grabbing someone and shoving them when they weight 8 stone they are going to go flying.

BUT STAY THE **** AWAY FROM ANY DEAD BALL SITUATION

I would say Bent has done ok but today I just couldn't understand it. Stuck away a routine gimme on 15 mins and should've gone on to get 2 or 3, but in his subsequent chances he looked like he wanted someone else to do it. The one-on-one and the miss in the second half were very poor. Downing was poor in his chance, and Young's penalty was dreadful.

I'm not jumping on the Houllier-out wagon tonight but the set pieces are his responsibility. We just need to get to 44 points now and then just wind the season down building the team around the young players.

This is definitely the lowest I've felt this season, and how important is the Wolves game now?

Just listened to his press conference on the radio. says young was quality (trying to keep him I think) had no answer to what to do with the defense seened pretty pissed though. I just dont think the players are good enough for GH's football at the moment.

On the subject of Houllier's responsibility. He's responsible for our softness and lack of spirit. He's responsible for what happened on Weds against City and the effect that had on the boys.

But I think that's as far as it goes today. He picked the best team he could and they played well enough to win. The defence was a disaster because of who was in there. Nothing Houllier can do about that when Dunne, Collins and Cuellar are out.

Nope, the attacking players had to carry the team today and failed when it mattered, most glaringly with Ash's penalty miss. This one is on the players.

Houllier has been unable to get the team to defend properly since the day he walked through the door. It doesn't matter who he picks they just leak goals.

How are people saying you can't blame Houllier for the result when yet again we failed at the most basic defending of corners.

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression that the manager set up how teams defended set pieces, and ran the drills in training to get them all doing their jobs properly. So if that very simple task of defending a set piece CONSTANTLY fails, regardless of which players are on the pitch, then surely the problem is deeper than the players on the pitch? If all season we'd been defending corners like pros and rarely conceding then sure, blame the weakened back line. But when EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. we look dodgy as hell on set pieces then look to the manager as he's the one that's dictating how we defend them.

You can do all that all day in training at it would work but on the field it is down to the players

If one thing is certain in life, it is that Villa will always let you down.

We are well on course for our worst season in 5 years. We could still go down, and perhaps in this stage of the season wednesday's surrender will be looked at as the key point. That decision well and truly backfired today.

Houllier is a cancer.

To blame Houllier for the players missing those chances is just nuts, although the buck will stop with him and people will rant saying they want him gone.

Week after week the same players who were pushing for CL fooball keep failing - how can you NOT see it is down to the Manager ???

Those same players failed at getting the champions league spot...Explain that to me?Did you watch the game? Did you see all those missed chances? How on earth you can blame Houllier for the players missing in some cases easy chances it behond me.

He put out the correct team from the players he had to choose from, set up was good attacking, but they didn't finish, that's what some of them get paid to do....Defending also, how **** hard it is to defend a corner...I understand we have 2 centre backs out who would have been playing, but the ones that were should have done a good enough job from the corners.

Explain what ? GH has turned winners into losers.

Yes I watched the Game. Yes I saw the missed chances - watch MOTD tonight and you will see lots of Teams miss chances. In the end if you miss too many and concede too many you go DOWN, and that is a definite possibility in our case. There are many reasons why a winning Team is down to the Manager and so is a losing one. We are a losing Team, a consistently losing Team, and that is down to the Manager.

You can carry on saying how many chances we make till the cows come home, but we are potentially one win off bottom - with a Team of excellent players.

GH is the problem.

I was at the Reebok and I actually enjoyed the game. I like it when we create good chances from open play like this. If we'd put another one away or scored the pen it would've gone to be 1-4. Clearly our main undoing today was the inexperienced defence.

I would also backup Houllier in one aspect, we had our 3 first choice centre halfs out. 3 of our back 4 were 21 and under.

I think you will find that we only had one experienced defender against Man Citeh too yet Houllier defended is team selection that night by stating that he played internationals and that he had a good squad and that he had to use it.

Based on his logic then there can be no excuse for the fact that 3 of the defenders today were 21 and under. He dictates the tactics in the match, he dictates the training methods, he picks the team and he is the manager so it is his responsibility.

If one thing is certain in life, it is that Villa will always let you down.

We are well on course for our worst season in 5 years. We could still go down, and perhaps in this stage of the season wednesday's surrender will be looked at as the key point. That decision well and truly backfired today.

Houllier is a cancer.

To blame Houllier for the players missing those chances is just nuts, although the buck will stop with him and people will rant saying they want him gone.

Week after week the same players who were pushing for CL fooball keep failing - how can you NOT see it is down to the Manager ???

Those same players failed at getting the champions league spot...Explain that to me?Did you watch the game? Did you see all those missed chances? How on earth you can blame Houllier for the players missing in some cases easy chances it behond me.

He put out the correct team from the players he had to choose from, set up was good attacking, but they didn't finish, that's what some of them get paid to do....Defending also, how **** hard it is to defend a corner...I understand we have 2 centre backs out who would have been playing, but the ones that were should have done a good enough job from the corners.

Explain what ? GH has turned winners into losers.

What did we win if we were winners?

Yet again we threw away a game we should have won. We don't score enough from our from chances and we give away sloppy goals. We are in a relegation battle make no mistake.

Â