Alan Hutton

Rich_D

10 hours ago, TRO said:

The problem is all about consistency.....There are things I love about Hutton, but....

There is more likely to be an error with Barnes incident and the Sessegnon error at Wembley.....Than the Roy of the rovers goal against Blues.

To get out of this division, above all else you need consistency.

Team consistency and consistency of individual play.

You can be a really good team but Individual errors, will Zap points away from you.....We know in our position, we will not get error free players , but you have to work towards it by improving the quality as we go.

Ps However, I though there was more than just him at fault for their first goal.

Agreed, he was a little unfortunate that he made the tackle then slipped over, but his starting position was all wrong in the first place. However we were all over the place anyway, leaving Gayle to run freely in and score a relatively easy chance. We have bigger problems at the back than Cafu to sort in January though, and his attitude buys him some latitude, certainly at Championship level. 

Alan Hutton to score the winner in the last game against Norwich and seal our promotion. The Scottish Cafu, living the dream!

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

On 09/12/2018 at 07:03, DaveAV1 said:

Agreed, he was a little unfortunate that he made the tackle then slipped over, but his starting position was all wrong in the first place. 

I still don't understand why Chester didn't recover it when he was the one pulled back holding the line. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I still don't understand why Chester didn't recover it when he was the one pulled back holding the line. 

Chester had to retreat about 40 yards to get back into position and had to cover two men when he got there. He had no chance.

I thought Chester was holding the offside line deeper than Hutton at the moment the ball was played through? In fact I was certain of it. So that's incorrect? Anyone got a link to the play? 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I thought Chester was holding the offside line deeper than Hutton at the moment the ball was played through? In fact I was certain of it. So that's incorrect? Anyone got a link to the play? 

Are we talking about the first goal vs Baggies?

From my memory it was a fairly long ball to the left wing which forced our defence to retreat from the line the were holding further up the pitch. Hutton got to the ball to make a tackle on the winger (Barnes was it?) and could have cleared it, but didn't and then slipped. Barnes cut inside meaning Chester had to retreat further and now had Barnes plus another man (Gayle?) to his left to cover so really had no chance. Barnes passed it to Gayle who finished.

So basically Chester had to run back about 40 or 50 yards and then cover two men. I don't think he had much chance. He could have gambled on either man and covered them which might have worked, or it might have made it even easier.

if you're not talking about that goal then ignore me :) 

Edited by Stevo985

I am. But the way I remember it Hutton was at least 10 yards ahead of Chester. Yet Chester couldn't read the pass or intercept the ball on time. Thus Hutton had not only to recover 10 extra yards, he also had to do the job as the holding defender despite this being Chester's job. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am. But the way I remember it Hutton was at least 10 yards ahead of Chester. Yet Chester couldn't read the pass or intercept the ball on time. Thus Hutton had not only to recover 10 extra yards, he also had to do the job as the holding defender despite this being Chester's job. 

Chester was practically on the other side of the pitch when the ball was played to the Baggies left wing. They played the ball from their own area after a misplaced flick from Kodjia or Abraham. Chester was well pushed up supporting the attack.

I think you're remembering it incorrectly.

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Are we talking about the first goal vs Baggies?

From my memory it was a fairly long ball to the left wing which forced our defence to retreat from the line the were holding further up the pitch. Hutton got to the ball to make a tackle on the winger (Barnes was it?) and could have cleared it, but didn't and then slipped. Barnes cut inside meaning Chester had to retreat further and now had Barnes plus another man (Gayle?) to his left to cover so really had no chance. Barnes passed it to Gayle who finished.

So basically Chester had to run back about 40 or 50 yards and then cover two men. I don't think he had much chance. He could have gambled on either man and covered them which might have worked, or it might have made it even easier.

if you're not talking about that goal then ignore me :) 

For me the most significant bit leading up was Hutton slipped so Barnes was free to attack, but Chester was recovering in the centre.....at this point Gayle was steaming on the blind side of Chester, Chester made a quick look behind him and knew Gayle was steaming in, but was caught between a rock and a hard place.

The question for me is.....who was picking up Gayle, Taylor looked like he was on his holidays.....a player should not be allowed to run the length of the pitch like that without someone being accused of a dereliction of duty.

Tracking back is a particular questionable part of some of our players makeup.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

For me the most significant bit leading up was Hutton slipped so Barnes was free to attack, but Chester was recovering in the centre.....at this point Gayle was steaming on the blind side of Chester, Chester made a quuick look behind him and knew Gayle was steaming in, but was caught between a rock and a hard place.

The question for me is.....who was picking up Gayle, Taylor looked like he was on his holidays.....a player should not be allowed to run the length of the pitch like that without someone being accused of a dereliction of duty.

Tracking back is a particular questionable part of some of our players makeup.

Exactly.

There was a player to Chester's right, I forget who, so in a normal situation that player would have pressed Barnes and Chester could have tracked Gayle. But given the nature of the quick break and the tracking back that didn't happen. Chester was stuck covering two men.

For me the prime suspect is Hutton. You can blame whoever did the flick in the opposing penalty area, but I think if you lose the ball in the opposition box, you have every right to expect that to be dealt with before it goes in your own net. I don't think you can blame them for the goal.

Hutton had a fairly routine opportunity to clear it or put a tackle in and didn't. It was partly a slip s you can't be too harsh, but it was still his fault.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly.

There was a player to Chester's right, I forget who, so in a normal situation that player would have pressed Barnes and Chester could have tracked Gayle. But given the nature of the quick break and the tracking back that didn't happen. Chester was stuck covering two men.

For me the prime suspect is Hutton. You can blame whoever did the flick in the opposing penalty area, but I think if you lose the ball in the opposition box, you have every right to expect that to be dealt with before it goes in your own net. I don't think you can blame them for the goal.

Hutton had a fairly routine opportunity to clear it or put a tackle in and didn't. It was partly a slip s you can't be too harsh, but it was still his fault.

Stevo.....I respect the different views and Hutton did play a part have to agree....but

If Gayle wasn't there, there wouldn't have been a goal, so I blame in the main the player who should have tracked Gayle.....Gayle had the Sahara dessert for space, that was all wrong for me.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Stevo.....I respect the different views and Hutton did play a part have to agree....but

If Gayle wasn't there, there wouldn't have been a goal, so I blame in the main the player who should have tracked Gayle.....Gayle had the Sahara dessert for space, that was all wrong for me.

Yeah I guess you're right. I've no idea who that should have been. Taylor or Chester I guess. I'd have to see it back

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Chester was practically on the other side of the pitch when the ball was played to the Baggies left wing. They played the ball from their own area after a misplaced flick from Kodjia or Abraham. Chester was well pushed up supporting the attack.

I think you're remembering it incorrectly.

Lets get a video linked! 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I guess you're right. I've no idea who that should have been. Taylor or Chester I guess. I'd have to see it back

As i say, I think Chester was pre-occupied by Barnes.....so I think it was Taylor....but because I watched it on TV, I may have missed something off screen that may have been significant in Taylors favour/ defence.

I don't want to open another debate on Dean v Steve, but you can see at times the importance of competent Defending.....I do think Steve deployed too many players to do it, at the expense of attack.

They have to be able to defend in reasonable numbers....Tracking back for me is all about workrate and ability to read the game....we need better quality in defence as we all know.

30 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Looking at that video I still maintain Chester had at least 10 yards on Hutton. 

Pause the video on 0:02

That's Chester in the foreground. He's the other side of the pitch from Hutton and a good 10 yards further up the pitch. I'm not sure what point you're making

Â