The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Well it saved the lifes of three innocent people.

Maybe. Maybe there was another answer. Classic Russia though eh, **** the sanctity of human life just smash **** out of it until it yields.

Every US president since the second world war says Hi.

Gorbachev shrugs shoulders and walks away disappointed.

• Like 1

11133967_680136255425062_426152595726276

What has Soviet Russia got to do with this thread?

And incidentally how much is a bottle of Vodka in Sweden expressed in dollars?

4 diplomats kidnapped in Beirut ?

Beirut is in the middle east if you didn't know..

Well it depends on the quality or brand, but somewhere between $30-$40.

11133967_680136255425062_426152595726276

What has Soviet Russia got to do with this thread?

And incidentally how much is a bottle of Vodka in Sweden expressed in dollars?

4 diplomats kidnapped in Beirut ?

Beirut is in the middle east if you didn't know..

Missing the point SOVIET… 1986…

(a) Soviet Union no longer exists and Russia is now nominally a democracy not a communist state.

( B) 30 years ago

Oh and there have been lots of Russian hostage crises in recent history

• Like 1

I thought it was a good story so i decided to post it here..Yikes!

The first line of the 'story' is Ever wonder why terrorists aren't kidnapping Russians? - that'll be apart from the Russians who have been kidnapped and all of the Russians involved in hostage situations in the last however many years, yes?
  • Like 1

as stated not long a go on this thread i think iran can become a huge ally in this fight againt isis and sunni extremism but its wether the west wants to dance with iran. obviously iran are no angels but ive never felt the same about iran and previously iraq than i have about the sunni countries.

Well it saved the lifes of three innocent people.

Maybe. Maybe there was another answer. Classic Russia though eh, **** the sanctity of human life just smash **** out of it until it yields.

Every US president since the second world war says Hi.

Gorbachev shrugs shoulders and walks away disappointed.

Fair point, I didn't say that the US were any different mind.

Yeah, Gorbachev was alright. Russia were cool for about a week there. Edit - hang on, Gorbachev was head of state in 86?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

The kidnapping in question happened in 1985. The only reference to this supposed solution is from the Jerusalem Post, which at the time was rightish leaning English and French language Israeli newspaper but was mostly read in the USA. That may indicate the kind of agenda at play in the article as it was revealed as a response to a spate of American hostages being taken at the time. The article in question was written by an avowed zionist named Benny Morris, who at the time was a journalist but now a historian. The story then seems to have come to a more widespread audience when it is mentioned in Geoffrey Archers book Eagle Trap, published in 2004.

So there's little substance to the story apart from one journalist with an agenda and a work of fiction. It might be true it could also be a load of bollocks ;)

Those lovely head bangers in Saudi are plumbing new depths with their assault on Yemen. Considering that before they began bombing more than 50% of the Yemeni population needed food aid, the Saudis - with American technical assistance - have been bombing grain silos and food distribution centres.

That's in addition to intercepting and turning away tankers carrying fuel required to drive the generators that draw water from deep wells.

Having woken up to the fact they have the martial characteristics of an angel delight, Saudi's new plan appears to be starving the Yemen into submission. Classy. I'm glad the US, UK and France (all upstanding P5 members and leaders of the democratic world) are supporting these hypocritical, nepotistic, petro-fascists. Makes you proud to be British.

Did I mention I f****** despise Saudi Arabia? Bomb the bejesus out of them for a short cut to Middle East peace.

Edited by Awol
  • Like 3

I thought it was a good story so i decided to post it here..Yikes!

The first line of the 'story' is Ever wonder why terrorists aren't kidnapping Russians? - that'll be apart from the Russians who have been kidnapped and all of the Russians involved in hostage situations in the last however many years, yes?

Yes iam aware of all the horrific hostage situations that has happened in russia, the theater siege in moscow and Beslan, ive seen documenteries about them both and read evry book i could find about the Beslan siege.

I even used to have chechen friend who hates russia with passion, and ive spoken alot with him about the war they had with russia.

But the reason i posted the photo is because of the way the russians handled the situation, ive never heard of anything like that before, i thought it was good story so i decided to post it on here.

• 1 month later...

Italians need to be ready. Warning ahead is unusual though so might be BS.

"ISIS supporters post photos on Twitter of notes showing group's logo and messages near famous Italian landmarks warning of counting down 'till the zero hour' "

Just read that Ramadi (a city very close to Baghdad) has fallen to isis.

And i thought that the iraqi army had isis on the run..

No not at all. IS has a big offensive coming up around the middle Euphrates and by taking Ramadi has finally secured Anbar Province - about 1/3 of Iraq. Regular Iraqi army again deserted in droves from Ramadi and the only ground forces capable of taking them on are the Pesh up north and the Iranian backed Shia militia in the central regions.

Although IS "lost" Tikrit the reality is they pulled back their main forces ahead of the Shia militia led attack and left behind a few hundred well dug in suicide troops. It still took massive US air support to finally enable the attacking forces to overcome them.

As for Noelvilla's post below yours, it's been well flagged that IS in Libya has used the flow of illegal migrants into Europe to both raise funds (taking 50% of earnings from the people traffickers) and infiltrate their own fighters into Europe to prepare atrocities. For example their intent to attack the Vatican has been trailed in videos and statements for a long time, although whether they go for a softer target remains to be seen.

In another thread outbyeaster was talking about the terrorist threat currently being overstated to allow greater surveillance by GCHQ et al. In fact as far as media reporting goes it is probably being understated. The whole IS/Caliphate malarkey has got an increasing level of support within Europe and in the next few years that's going to manifest itself in some very ugly scenes.

• Like 1

Â