The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

For the avoidance of doubt and to counter it not being reported by western media, this was on the news some time ago.

The problem is, any tittilating video like this is going to be constantly 'rediscovered' by people that didn't see it or forgot it and now wonder why others haven't seen it. 

I'd imagine we'll all be asked again in 7 or 8 weeks why this hasn't been shown before.

But please don't believe this is a new low or a different kind of evil. From the decapitated heads of enemies displayed on spikes on London Bridge, to the guillotine, mustard gas, the black hole of Calcutta, concentration camps, Sarajevo, Cambodia, agent orange, napalm and a million other unrecorded atrocities, the only difference here is the wide availability of smart phones.

• Like 2

For the avoidance of doubt and to counter it not being reported by western media, this was on the news some time ago.

The problem is, any tittilating video like this is going to be constantly 'rediscovered' by people that didn't see it or forgot it and now wonder why others haven't seen it. 

I'd imagine we'll all be asked again in 7 or 8 weeks why this hasn't been shown before.

But please don't believe this is a new low or a different kind of evil. From the decapitated heads of enemies displayed on spikes on London Bridge, to the guillotine, mustard gas, the black hole of Calcutta, concentration camps, Sarajevo, Cambodia, agent orange, napalm and a million other unrecorded atrocities, the only difference here is the wide availability of smart phones.

Don't forget Piers Morgan . 

Let he without sin etc.

• Like 1

Why would the Western media miss the chance to report something like that though? That would definitely whip up the kind of storm most of them would like?

As others have said there have been 100's of these IS snuff vids doing the rounds, thing is western news outlets never show footage of people actually being killed because it's considered to be in bad taste - which frankly it is.

60,000 Kurds have been made refugees and fled from Northern Syria into Turkey over the last 24 hours or so. The YPG (Syrian Kurdish fighters) are using rifles and RPG's to try and resist a new IS offensive with tanks, artillery and armoured vehicles. They have already taken dozens of surrounding villages but the target is a city of 1 million Kurds - and precisely no one is helping to defend them.

This one isn't going to end well.

We aren't they getting air support AWOL I thought this was exactly the sort of thing that the US and the other nations had said they would take action to stop. Surely of IS fighters and weaponry is put in the open it could be easily targeted from the air?

Or is there a bigger agenda here, to let something like this happen to justify heavier future action?

We aren't they getting air support AWOL I thought this was exactly the sort of thing that the US and the other nations had said they would take action to stop. Surely of IS fighters and weaponry is put in the open it could be easily targeted from the air?

Or is there a bigger agenda here, to let something like this happen to justify heavier future action?

yeah i think there is an agenda, its pretty obvious in my eyes.

Yes you're right that IS in the open are sitting ducks from the air. The YPG are not getting air support (yet) because they are in Syria and the west hasn't decided whether or not it's all too difficult to start bombing across the border. Were they Iraqi Kurds being attacked then The USAF would be dropping on IS as we speak.

The bigger agenda is simple, our leaders are clueless morons who would rather a few more 1000 dead civvies than be seen to bomb people that are nominally opposing the Assad regime - even though they are the same folks lopping off heads of western hostages.

We have no proper cogent policy on how to deal with the Assad/Baghdad/IS dynamic and it's a disaster for people on the ground.

How active is Turkey in all this? It's all kicking off at their border yet they don't seem to be doing much.

Their 49 hostages taken from the consulate in Mosul have just been released by IS precisely because they aren't doing much.

Turkey has played a very dark role in all this.

I think it's more of the attitude that goes with it (I don't know what their raid was like - it may well have been very well mannered with lots of friendly knocking on doors and cups of tea), that is: in terms of policing, law making, lack of accountability (see the reports on the police and politicians comments to the press) and so on.

Trotted out by many is the line about defending our freedom(s) as much as our person(s) with the often implicit (though sometimes explicit) caveat that, of course, we might need to temporarily and for some certain types of people set them aside a bit (or more).

My mind can't comprehend the excessive amount of brackets used in this post.

You are owed 6 apologies.

The root of it all, as always, is Saudi Arabia. Until their power and influence is denied, nothing will change over there. That they are a major funder of IS seems to be common knowledge. So why aren't they being sanctioned, held to account somehow? They very shrewdly play all sides of all fences, and the West are made to look foolish.

I think it's more of the attitude that goes with it (I don't know what their raid was like - it may well have been very well mannered with lots of friendly knocking on doors and cups of tea), that is: in terms of policing, law making, lack of accountability (see the reports on the police and politicians comments to the press) and so on.

Trotted out by many is the line about defending our freedom(s) as much as our person(s) with the often implicit (though sometimes explicit) caveat that, of course, we might need to temporarily and for some certain types of people set them aside a bit (or more).

Tbf, I think that went without saying. ;)

Edit: (sorry donnie) x 6

Edited by snowychap

Tbf, I think that went without saying. ;)

Edit: (sorry donnie) x 6

That's okay snowychap :-)

I see the UN Peace Envoy is desperately trying to get "boots on the ground" in Iraq, whilst at the same time reminding us that the current situation is nothing to do with him and his illegal war. At all. 

If he can get a major conflict going for a few months, lots of rocket flashes a bit of shock and a pinch of awe, then be seen glad handing the winners, well, who knows there might be another peace prize in it for him. Or another million dollar cheque from Israel.

Interesting language used by Tony Abbott, our PM, today: 

“Regrettably, for some time to come, Australians will have to endure more security than we’re used to, and more inconvenience than we’d like. Regrettably, for some time to come, the delicate balance between freedom and security may have to shift. There may be more restrictions on some so that there can be more protections for others. After all, the most basic freedom of all is the freedom to walk the streets unharmed and to sleep safe in our beds at night. Creating new offences that are harder to beat on a technicality may be a small price to pay for saving lives and for maintaining the social fabric of an open, free and multicultural nation.”

Â