Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

He had a very good one-touch game and could pick a pass that would set us on our way (Blackpool, Bolton etc.) When he wasn't pressured, such as the United game it was very easy for him to play over 100 passes - however when a thug got stuck into him (Karl Henry) he lost the battle.

So, a bit like a deeper sitting Stephen Ireland.

I would have liked to have seen him in a team where he wasn't required to do as much defensive work, or at least given more of a chance to adjust to the pace of the Premier League [like Stan was in his first season] as he was never really eased in (even though he did well after being thrown in for the win against Wigan playing with an injury). Not so sure he'd suit our current predicament though.

Makoun is what you'd call a "continuity" midfielder e.g. in a 3 man central midfield he's neither attacking or defensive but someone who can pick a pass and keep the player moving. Someone like Ramsey at Arsenal and the best in the league at it imo Luka Modric (if you think in Spurs's system Parker is the purely defensive player and VDV is the attacking one).

I thought when we signed him Makoun would be an upgrade on NRC...someone who could get forward and score.

I think McLeish gambled big time Delph would have a breakthrough season and Jenas would stay fit so Makoun wouldn't be needed. Hasn't worked out that way has it?

I would give him another chance, purely with the team we have now it would be Herd....Makoun....Ireland for me.

Makoun is what you'd call a "continuity" midfielder e.g. in a 3 man central midfield he's neither attacking or defensive but someone who can pick a pass and keep the player moving. Someone like Ramsey at Arsenal and the best in the league at it imo Luka Modric (if you think in Spurs's system Parker is the purely defensive player and VDV is the attacking one).

I thought when we signed him Makoun would be an upgrade on NRC...someone who could get forward and score.

I think McLeish gambled big time Delph would have a breakthrough season and Jenas would stay fit so Makoun wouldn't be needed. Hasn't worked out that way has it?

I would give him another chance, purely with the team we have now it would be Herd....Makoun....Ireland for me.

I really don't get why people even think that Makoun stands the remotest chance of even wanting to be here next season. He clearly did not want to be here once Houlier went and buggered off pronto at the first opportunity.

It's pie in the sky dreaming to think he'll "get another chance"

I think he didn't fancy working under McLeish as opposed to not wanting to be here full stop.

Very much this. i think he would jump at the chance to play week in week out in the Premier League (in an attacking minded team) over the Greek league.

Lichaj Cuellar Clark Warnock

-------------Herd--------------

---Nzog--Makoun--Ireland---

------Bent---Weimann--------

Or something along those lines is a team I would like to try out in pre season.

Such a shame we never got to see Makoun in a side with an in form Ireland and a fit Darren Bent. With all due respect to some of the youngsters, how much worse could he have been than the makeshift midfield we've had to play at times this season?

I'm guessing that wages and possible cultural issues were at the forefront of the decision to let him go on loan.

In his short time here he looked a good footballer (if a little lightweight) who, if given a chance, could have adjusted to the pace of the premier league and been a real asset.

A guy who scored in a CL game against Real Madrid must be poor.

Yes, deciding on a player based on one goal is a really great idea. Let's buy that Zat Knight bloke and play him up front, I saw him score a great goal at The Emirates once.

Predictable. Regular for Lyon.. regular international.. won trophies.. was linked with massive clubs before he fell out of favour with the coach there. Didn't realise you needed spelt out. You can't judge him for 6 games. He's proven at a higher level. Even Henry took 6 months to settle.

I really don't get why people even think that Makoun stands the remotest chance of even wanting to be here next season. He clearly did not want to be here once Houlier went and buggered off pronto at the first opportunity.

It's pie in the sky dreaming to think he'll "get another chance"

Er, no. If McLeish goes, all bets are off. He's still under contract with Villa, so any new manager coming in could consider him as much as any other player he inherits.

Makoun left because McLeish didn't fancy him and he was one of the (few) players who we could find someone to take his wages (in order to sign Jenas, presumably).

Quote from McLeish in Jan: "Has he got a future with us? It depends. The reason for letting Jean out was I looking for a different type of midfielder. I’m not saying he’s not got a future – it would be stupid to say that – but certainly I was looking at our midfield without Jean."

"Has he got a future with us? It depends. The reason for letting Jean out was I looking for a different type of midfielder. I’m not saying he’s not got a future – it would be stupid to say that – but certainly I was looking at our midfield without Jean."

Of course Jean II wasn't in your plans, him being a midfielder that likes to keep possession and all.

"Has he got a future with us? It depends. The reason for letting Jean out was I looking for a different type of midfielder. I’m not saying he’s not got a future – it would be stupid to say that – but certainly I was looking at our midfield without Jean."

Just about sums Mcleish up.

Â