The 2011 new music thread

sellyoakvilla

Thought I'd open this thread so everyone could give their insights on who they tip for 2011 success and who they are currently diggin' so far.

I'm a big fan of the alternative scene - indie / lo-fi / underground etc. For me there's quite a few bands who I think will break through this year, these are the ones I'm loving at the moment..

The Vaccines

Mona

Esben & The Witch

Brother

Crystal Fighters

For those who like a bit of rap/grime (been around for a few years before 2011 but tipping him for deserved success this year)..

Wretch 32

I know they're not a new band but The Walkmen's new album is incredible. Jamie Woon will do well too.

Who are you tipping for success in 2011 (self-promotion of your own band is acceptable! Just..)

E&TW are playing Hare & Hounds on Feb 8 with support from Trophy Wife, my mates band Silver Souvenirs are also supporting, going to be a good gig.

I saw Egyptian Hip Hop at The Flapper a couple months ago, wasn't really impressed, just another poser band for me. Is Tropical and Tall Ships are quality though, never really got into Morning Parade but willing to give them another chance...

I'm liking the look of the Vaccines, it must be noticed Radio 1 are promoting them a fair bit as well.

I thought Crystal Fighters had already broken through? I've been keeping an eye on them and what they're doing since about Oct '10.

Good choices though.

Crystal Fighters broke through in 2010 but chose them because I reckon they'll have an even bigger 2011. I booked them for their Birmingham gig in October and I've got them back again for the HMV Institute on March 23 if you fancy it! Tickets will go on sale soon... shameless promotion...

So is anyone gonna post any proper bands or is it all gonna be this bland, vacuous trying too hard to be cool indie 'soccer am highlights backing tune' shite? :)

hahaha!

I was gonna say, anything GarethRDR likes is usually worth avoiding ;-)

For those of us that like the heavier side of things. Then i'm currently loving the Italian band Dead Elephant

Not interested if they'll be 'big' or not, just loving their doom

Roll on tomorrow night. Ultraphallus in Birmingham

So is anyone gonna post any proper bands or is it all gonna be this bland, vacuous trying too hard to be cool indie 'soccer am highlights backing tune' shite? :)

hahaha!

I was gonna say, anything GarethRDR likes is usually worth avoiding ;-)

Gareth actually has a surprisingly good music taste 8)

Hoping this year a Birmingham band called Malpas will really break through.

I think they are still unsigned at the moment but they really are brilliant. If you ever see them playing around Birmingham (they play quite a bit at The Rainbow in Digbeth and The Hare and Hounds in Kings Heath) then I highly recommend you check them out.

Heard this song on the radio the other day too. Thought it was quite good :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhcGNN9r1D4.

For those of us that like the heavier side of things. Then i'm currently loving the Italian band Dead Elephant

Not interested if they'll be 'big' or not, just loving their doom

**** A. Looking forward to whatever Salome do this year, really really liked their last album. Would really like to see Zola Jesus in concert this year also. Shikari are supposed to be releasing something too after reforming. Hope they do a UK tour would love to see them

Enjoyed Gwilym Simcock's 'Good Days At Schloss Elmau' more than I expected. It's solo Jazz piano (mmmmm, nice). Not my usual bag, but undeniably lovely in places, released last week.

The Bibio album due in the next couple of months might be worth a listen.

Â