The 2011 new music thread

sellyoakvilla

I found this with the Editors who i love, their first 2 albums, The Back Room and An End Has A Start were amazing. Then Tom Smith decides he wants to go all synthesizers, keyboards and computers in In This Light and on This Evening and the album they produces is gash!

Off to the "things that piss me off..." thread.

There has to be a massive list of bands that have gone that way.

There are probably people who perhaps appreciate the "more carefully crafted" music that bands come out with on later albums. But for me, any artist sounds at their best when it's just raw music, as it would sound if they were playing it in a pub on a thursday night.

This is going to get me shot, but even Coldplay's first album was pretty good.

I found this with the Editors who i love, their first 2 albums, The Back Room and An End Has A Start were amazing. Then Tom Smith decides he wants to go all synthesizers, keyboards and computers in In This Light and on This Evening and the album they produces is gash!

Off to the "things that piss me off..." thread. :x

Bricks & Mortar is a tune though.

EDIT: My pedant-radar has gone off...

the Editors

*slap* Sort it out, man!

Off to the "things that piss me off..." thread. :x

Bricks & Mortar is a tune though.

EDIT: My pedant-radar has gone off...

the Editors

*slap* Sort it out, man!

Notice the t in the is not a capital, thus not intended to be part of the name. 8)

In that case you don't need the definite article. For example, you wouldn't say "I found this with the U2" or "I found this with the At The Drive-In".

This PSA was brought to you by the Grammar Gestapo.

Nothing wrong with Editors third Album imo, quite like it

Ive really really tried to like it but i just cant get into it. Their first 2 albums were unbelievably good.

Just much prefer their original style to the synthy stuff they put out in the third album.

In an on going quest to try and find something in the realm of dubstep I might actually like, I listened to Matta's 'Prototype' yesterday. It was recommended to me as something that I would definetly get into. And I tried but...it's still the same old stuff, man. The bass is fun, but I prefer heavy bass is doom and drone, and as for electronic music dubstep is just too slow to be as good as than gabba or speedcore, and too fast to be as good as ambient and dark industrial stuff...I think the genre is a lost on me.

In an on going quest to try and find something in the realm of dubstep I might actually like, I listened to Matta's 'Prototype' yesterday. It was recommended to me as something that I would definetly get into. And I tried but...it's still the same old stuff, man. The bass is fun, but I prefer heavy bass is doom and drone, and as for electronic music dubstep is just too slow to be as good as than gabba or speedcore, and too fast to be as good as ambient and dark industrial stuff...I think the genre is a lost on me.

You've tried Burial? Kode 9 & the Spaceape? The Bug? Darkstar?

Theres a great Hyperdub compilation album out there thats a good starting point called 5 : 5 Years of Hyperdub (A label best of if you like)

Ive really really tried to like it but i just cant get into it. Their first 2 albums were unbelievably good.

Just much prefer their original style to the synthy stuff they put out in the third album.

I think they had to move on and change styles. TBH I think there was quite a change in style from the first to the second too but the change from album two to three was much more noticeable because of the synthy stuff making it obvious. Can see why some didn't like it, too much of a change for some I suspect.

I think they had to move on and change styles. TBH I think there was quite a change in style from the first to the second too but the change from album two to three was much more noticeable because of the synthy stuff making it obvious. Can see why some didn't like it, too much of a change for some I suspect.

I just think if it wasnt broken then why fix it? :?

But like you say, some people probably prefer the 3rd to the 1st and 2nd.

If a band just keeps doing much the same thing, then they will end up not selling any music - people will have heard it before, basically. On the other hand if you change too dramtically from one album to the next, then you end up losing a lot of your fanbase, perhaps. I think Editors will go back towards the guitar style rather than synths for the next one, but keep a bit of the synth influence. As a result they'll be better for it. The first 2 albums were superb, but they can't just make them again (can they?).

They're always good live, and the last time I saw them, in Preston, they was after the third album came out and the mix of the new and old was excellent, and fitted together really well.

My only complaint was that they were so loud it was right on the border of painful.

The new REM album is fine, but all the songs on it remind me of stuff they've done previously, and asa result I'm a lot less likely to go back to it than I am for some their older albums that I listen to over and over again.

I agree about the REM album, its like a pastiche of their former glories, its ok but that is all it is, nothing really stands out on it. It just plods and its unmistakably REM but its also nowt special.

News hot off the press, there is a Thom Yorke / Burial / Four Tet collaboration single coming out this summer. That is something to look forward to

News hot off the press, there is a Thom Yorke / Burial / Four Tet collaboration single coming out this summer. That is something to look forward to

My guess is it will sound a bit like Feral. 8)

Â