The 2011 new music thread

sellyoakvilla

I have actually written a piece for Counteract Magazine on my top tips for 2011.

The Editor’s top picks for 2011

This year is already shaping up to be a great one for music. The BBC Sound of 2011 shortlist drew up some great candidates for success, some I agree with, some I don’t. Unfortunately I don’t agree with the winner, Jessie J, as I feel it could have gone to a much more worthy winner. Here are a few of my picks for bands which you are sure to hear about this year.

THE VACCINES – My personal favourite. The first time they caught my eye was on Jools Holland where they performed ‘Wreckin’ Bar (Ra Ra Ra)’ and it finally seemed the succinct one-minute-thirty song we’ve missed since the days of Art Brut was finally back. I couldn’t help but wish it was longer but the edgy “indie” which has been ignored and replaced by shitty Fratellis sing-a-longs finally seems to be regaining its rightful place within the industry. Their debut album is expected in March.

TROPHY WIFE – This band recently part-toured with Foals in 2010 and have gained a relatively large following since. Not to be confused with a different Trophy Wife, but they’re on Spotify so go and check out their new single ‘Microlite’. Think of an early Foals demo crossing paths with Two Door Cinema Club. They’re soon to be going on tour with my next pick, Esben and the Witch…

ESBEN AND THE WITCH – Taking their name from a Danish fairy tale, the Brighton trio create an eerie, atmospheric sound and are bound to be the next (albeit less radio friendly) Florence and the Machine. Alongside being shortlisted in the BBC’s Sound of 2011 poll Esben and the Witch have also toured with Foals, The Big Pink and The XX to name a few. It’s questionable whether they will reach the dizzy heights of Florence Welch, but if they don’t I will be shocked. Catch them at the Hare & Hounds on February 8 with Trophy Wife and (silver) souvenirs.

CRYSTAL FIGHTERS – 2010 was a great year for this band but 2011 is going to be even better. With their debut album, Star of Love, receiving rave reviews and their accompanying headline tour going down incredibly well all across the country, they are set to catapult into new heights this year. If you don’t know who they are now go and listen to ‘I Love London’ and I’m sure you soon will. Their next single, ‘At Home’ is due for release soon with a UK tour scheduled for March – go and see them.

PEACE – These four lads from the West Midlands are set to break onto the scene this year with a recommendation in Vice and a huge internet following shows supporting The Vaccines, Tame Impala and La Shark in 2010. Recordings are almost finished on tracks which can only be described as timeless. They’re supporting Flashguns at Birmingham HMV Institute on March 22, get down if you can.

CAJOLE CAJOLE – Thought I would end on another local choice, this Wolverhampton trio present music capable of lifting you out of any bad mood with their youthful riffs and catchy lyrics – think Tokyo Police Club. They are currently taking some time out of the live scene to write new songs and record but expect them to explode onto the scene with a UK tour at some point this year but there is no way you will not hear about this band – my local tip to watch for 2011.

Here’s to a great 2011 and hopefully my tips all come off!

Richard Franks

clicky

TROPHY WIFE – This band recently part-toured with Foals in 2010 and have gained a relatively large following since. Not to be confused with a different Trophy Wife, but they’re on Spotify so go and check out their new single ‘Microlite’. Think of an early Foals demo crossing paths with Two Door Cinema Club. They’re soon to be going on tour with my next pick, Esben and the Witch…

^Really, really like these guys.

Young Legionnaire recently got picked up by Wichita so I'm eagerly awaiting their debut. It's like YCNI:M never left...

Young Legionnaire are playing at my mates clubnight next month with Les Savy Fav at the Soundbar on the 25th Feb..

Les Savy Fav are truly, truly brilliant and I think Calories are playing that gig too. What a **** line-up. :shock:

Check out Wild Moccasins - a US band I've just booked for a gig at The Vic in March.

I have. I like. Thanks for the tip. 8)

Young Legionnaire are playing at my mates clubnight next month with Les Savy Fav at the Soundbar on the 25th Feb..

Les Savy Fav are truly, truly brilliant and I think Calories are playing that gig too. What a **** line-up. :shock:

Check out Wild Moccasins - a US band I've just booked for a gig at The Vic in March.

I have. I like. Thanks for the tip. 8)

I love Les Savy Fav. However I'm working that night at The Streets at the O2 so can't go :(

Fate is a cruel mistress (or in that case, just a stone-cold bitch). :(

On lighter news, Vessels just announced that their second album "Helioscope" will be out March 21st. I say this without hyperbole; best post-rock band ever in the history of everything. Ever.

packshot-300x300.jpg

Apparently, if you pre-order you get a free poster and a bonus b-sides/remixes CD. Couple of tracks from the album here:

The Trap

Meatman, Piano Tuner, Prostitute

I'm pretty sure I haven't heard of any of these bands.

On another note, Explosions In The Sky have a new album coming out. Take Care, Take Care, Take Care is is out on April 18th.

Track list:

1. Last Known Surroundings

2. Human Qualities

3. Trembling Hands

4. Be Comfortable, Creature

5. Postcard from 1952

6. Let Me Back In

I'm pretty sure I haven't heard of any of these bands.

On another note, Explosions In The Sky have a new album coming out.

You should definitely give Vessels a pop if you're an Explosions fan; both bands new (and preceeding) albums were all produced by John Congleton. 8)

So So Modern - tidy little band

Holy shitballs... I've listened to all of 20 seconds and I'm already drooling. :shock:

EDIT: I'm up to about 3 minutes now and still drooling. :shock:

It's like a mathier (is that even a word? It sounded good when I made it up in my head) Japandroids.

So So Modern - tidy little band

Holy shitballs... I've listened to all of 20 seconds and I'm already drooling. :shock:

EDIT: I'm up to about 3 minutes now and still drooling. :shock:

It's like a mathier (is that even a word? It sounded good when I made it up in my head) Japandroids.

and that my friend is why I'm the Editor of a music magazine :winkold:

Introducing… CUFFS

0 Comments 31 January 2011

Although the name ‘Cuffs ’ might not necessarily strike you as one of a band, put the images of S&M and Bondage to the side, and concentrate on listening to the amazing surge of soft vocals, warm indie guitar and resonating lyrics.

They reside in Cambridge MA, next to Harvard University and describe their sound as “post-graduate quarter life crisis, realizing you are no longer in your mid-twenties and day dreaming about living in London circa 1987 – think Monochrome Set with Ira Kaplan on guitar or the Embarrassment trying to write Prefab Sprout songs”.

All the band members are musically pretty well off: two of them having played in an indie-pop band Pants Yell, the bassist in Big Troubles and the guitarist in Reports. It’s time this amalgamation of indie-pop talent got their deserved recognition so they can be well on their way to 2011 indie-pop-world domination.

Watch out for their new 7” single due out in May via Ride the Snake Records. Instead of heading to the sex shop to get another pair of those plastic cuffs with no key, in the false hope you will one day sexually harass someone, head to the record shop and get some real Cuffs.

Listen to a demo of ‘Privilege’ below.

Summary: American indie-pop that means something

For fans of: Adam and the Ants, The Vaselines, Two Door Cinema Club

Listen to: Privilege, Albert Kroft

clicky

you can listen to a track by them on the link.

The Go! Team's new album Rolling Blackouts is out this week... heard a few tracks and they're right up there with their previous stuff!

Be honest, did you do what I just did - Search I-tunes under Alternative Music?

Its being promoted on there at the moment.

(I have poor music knowledge, This thread and I-tunes recommendations tend to be my guiding lights, with the latter being pretty useless in the main).

Â