415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the Sunderland site is quite funny. Why do they have to end a sentence in "like". Even when talking about Darren Bent, who the obviously dont "like" anymore.

I've noticed they talk in their accent too, **** gay ay it.

mon imprinted himself on the squad. it will take time to change things, today we saw the few occasional attempts at through balls for darren bent. i see a bright future ahead. bent and young is going to be lethal! i think ged is doing a decent job, beat wigan, forget united and after that we got a decent run of games. ged can build support for himself and continue with the momentum.

also credit for getting the defense solid again.

I'm not going to change my mind about Houllier on the back of one good result. We rode out luck a bit today and I wasn't entirely convinced about the way the team was set up, Gabby's role especially.

I don't want to be churlish though. It was a very very good result, and the improved performance of the defence was very encouraging, along with Bent and all the confidence his signing seems to have brought.

Pretty much exactly my thinking. A good win and a better performance but still far from flawless imo.

It reminded me of a MON style of performance, not pretty but effective. I am sure GH's long term strategy will see us improve in every aspect.

my thoughts as well, sort of echos what people have said about GH trying to change our style of play to quickly. Need to build on this with 3 points against Wigan, then weve got some breathing space.

I'm not going to change my mind about Houllier on the back of one good result. We rode out luck a bit today and I wasn't entirely convinced about the way the team was set up, Gabby's role especially.

I don't want to be churlish though. It was a very very good result, and the improved performance of the defence was very encouraging, along with Bent and all the confidence his signing seems to have brought.

Great result - and a tremendous defensive display - although a little fortune at the end - Friedal was well protected - and didn't have that many saves to make.

Still think we waste the pace of Young, Gabby , and Bent - with the crossfield passing. I want to see bent playing off the last defenders shoulder - not coming deep as we he was starting to do 2nd half.

Waffling abit - good win - but still not convinced about GH

Talk of sacking Houllier is obviously now academic. It was a great "backs to the wall display" and in many ways a very enjoyable game.

But I am still very uncomfortable with the way we are set up. An attacker on the left wing, a left winger as a right sided central midfielder doesn't IMHO make sense - can anyone suggest why Houllier plays them out of position like this? The only reasons I can come up with for Gabby playing left is that he can get back to defend faster and hold up play better than Downing. But Downing in the centre seems totally wrong.

You can see that things are getting back to normal with the way we defended today. Yes, it was backs to the ball but that's what it should be like when the opposition spend half a gazillion quid on their squad. Having a player of James Milner's quality on the bench is almost wasteful. The players wanted it today and we have now lost just once in five games. I can see us catching up with the teams above us in no time at all with the current spirit. Just 4 points of 11th place. I wouldn't rule out a top eight finish if we keep up the battling spirit.

I think we will finish top 8. We are only 5 points off 7th, building some momentum, still improving the squad, and we have a very good run in.

Even 6th place is a slight possibility. Sunderland are 12 points ahead of us, but they have just lost their best striker, whose name escapes me.

A couple of good posts:

I back Houllier because I still like the way the team plays. However the players haven't been there. O'Neill gave us a great base to build from, I won't deny that.

A lot of our key players got 1 year older.

Alot of our key players have been injured and our depth was massively exposed.

You can't judge Houllier until he has a full season or two under his belt. I also like that he has international/french ties, which allowed us to get a guy like Makoun who otherwise would not even consider a team like us.

from another thread (Is anyone else just really happy?)

I have been very impressed with how as a club we have finally grown a pair of b***s! It's about time we stopped being bullied around & give a bit back! It's probably the 1st time we have been taken more seriously as a club since 1981 for goodness sake!

So yeah i am very happy with RL, GH & darren Bent for having the trust to come to us considering our precarious league position.

Was the 1st half of the season GH's fault...NO he inherited a squad & gave them all a chance but got the tail end of MON's "bad bits" so to speak. Then with fires springing up all around him which he boldly confronted head on incidently, he had the most horrendous run of injuries i can remember in a Villa squad so we played most of that half of the season with a very young, inexperienced, unbalanced & ever changing side so surely it was inevitable we would struggle?!

Also as our 1st choice players recovered (severeley lacking in match sharpness don't forget) we started to hit a run of very difficult fixtures.. still we got a fantastic draw at Stamford Bridge & a good point at Sha mixed with a rather unfortunate defeat at home to Sunderland when Heskey got his red of course...

So yeah.. I am happy. I feel we are now for the 1st time seeing what GH & RL are truly made of & WOW! Keep it up guys please :D

I think Houllier has done fantastic job.

Â