Dublin

Demitri_C

Walk along fleet street west out of temple bar, cross westmorland street to the other fleet street and you'll find the best bar in the City on your right. Called Bowes, best pint of Guinness in there. €4.20 I think it costs.

Wish I was going there after work today. Stupid London :angry:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Booked to go next March for 3 days with the Wife for our anniversary, not taking the little one, staying in some Castle Hotel or something in D4 (I think).

So, from reading this thread, go to Templebar because it's fun, but don't go to Templebar because it's expensive, check.

Go to Guinness Storehouse because they give you free Guinness, but don't go to Guinness Storehouse because it's shit, check.

Look for the steps in Murrays to find TVs with football, check.

There's some decent stuff down by the docks, check.

Save lots of money, because you can be charge anything from 3 euro to 8 euro for a pint, depending on the time, bar and barman.. check.

Templebar during the day has a good energy about it.  It's a vibrant place full of a good mix of shoppers, tourists, street performers and general bustle, so it's well worth walking around it or sitting and people watching.  Geographically it's also a stone's throw from the Liffey, Trinity College, Grafton Street & Christchurch Cathedral.  Part of the charm of Dublin City Centre is that you can pretty much walk one end to the other and most of what's worth seeing will be well within reach.  From Grafton Street you have St. Stephen's Green and from there Leinster House, Museum of Natural History, Merrion Square (Oscar Wilde), The Dáil (our government buildings).  From Christchurch you can almost see Patrick's Cathedral, not to mention you're 5 minutes from the Guinness storehouse at James' Gate.  At the other end of the city's part of the Liffey you have Phoenix Park which has the zoo, Áras an Uachtaráin (the president's house), not to mention being a beautiful place to spend some time if you get the weather.  I would recommend getting the tourist bus, as with most cities; if nothing else; it gives you a sense of direction and perspective and I find them useful for getting (and keeping) my bearings in a new city.  But for the rest you can pretty much walk.  Unless the Mrs. isn't a walker in which case taxis; whilst expensive; won't be a long journey within the confines of the city centre.

Or you could ... y'know ... just drink for 3 days *cough* :twisted:

Right lads.

I'm heading to Dublin in 2 weeks for a stag do. Getting there for a night out on the Friday, heading of to the races on Saturday day time followed by another night out afterwards.

Despite having been to Ireland about 100 times in my life, I've only ever been to Dublin (City centre anyway) once. That was another stag do and it was probably the most expensive night out I've ever had.

For this one, we're staying right near Temple Bar so I think the idea will be to go out there.

Where should I try to steer them to still get a decent night, but maybe not bash my wallet quite so badly?

Any other ideas for bars/clubs?

How many of you are there? What's the general age (or range)? Are there lads out looking to score (wimmenz), or are you more a higher end club lot, or what's the general breakdown? As that'll determine the clubs I recommend :) Will it be silly costume stag (typical Templebar fare) or lads who actually want to get in to places?

There's 15 of us.

Age range is all around 28-30

Most of the people going have girlfriends or wives, so not much emphasis on pulling. More about having a laugh basically.

I think the focus would be on a nice pub or bar rather than a club. Maybe somewhere for a dance to end the night (before the titty bar, obvs)

The second night we're dressing as Peaky Blinders. I've never seen it so I'm not sure what it entails, but I understand it's nothing too mental. First night we'll just be dressed normally.

Basically, here's my ideal scenario. We turn up at Temblebar, all pay €7 for a pint. I say "**** this, I know a much better bar, it's down here"

We all go to the bar that you lot have recommended, have a bloody brilliant time, and I'm hailed as being a half irish king.

• Like 2

So, from reading this thread, go to Templebar because it's fun, but don't go to Templebar because it's expensive, check.

Go to Guinness Storehouse because they give you free Guinness, but don't go to Guinness Storehouse because it's shit, check.

Save lots of money, because you can be charge anything from 3 euro to 8 euro for a pint, depending on the time, bar and barman.. check.

Temple bar though expensive was the best time we had in pubs around Dublin

People who say the guiness storehouse was shit, from my experience were expecting a guineas factory,hence the disappointment. Imo for €15 its a good way to spend a few hours and has fantastic views of Dublin at the end

As for the prices, I dont remember paying anything less than €4.90 a pint during the day, prices of increased from about 7 in the evening I think, going up to €12 (Iirc) a pint after midnight

Me and my missus got through about €450 in 2 days and nights, without buying anything other than food and drink

Starting off in Templebar, the best bar for an early drink in my opinion is The Quays Bar.  It has an atmosphere from earlier in the evening than any of the rest of them and it's slap bang in the centre of Templebar looking out on the central promenade (where you could see anything...).  It also isn't a rip-off pricewise compared to places like 'The Temple Bar' (see Zatman's receipt at the top of this page), The Dubliner or the infamous Oliver St. John Gogarty's.  Although I must say, price aside, the Temple Bar is a good pub so maybe check it out at some point.  The Workman's Club on the Liffey is also a good spot.

There are loads of good boozers within a 5 minute walk of Templebar so no matter what, you won't be walking too far.  Depending on the kind of music you all like, there's the Mezzanine ('The Mezz') in Templebar which usually plays live rock music.  The Foggy Dew will be playing something or other too.  Across Dame Street you have the Mercantile and behind that the legendary Stag's Head.

Heading up George's Street (avoid The George because it's ... probably not for you guys ... if you get me...) you've got Hogans up on the left which is another good place to start a night off (Typically where I arrange to meet people for the first few hours of a night out).  Further on, Capitol Lounge is a lively 'Eurobar' (that a long time ago I may or may not have been barred from *cough* All a misunderstanding).  Pass Aungier Street which hasn't got much on it and on to Wexford Street where you've got Flannery's and Whelan's which is a legendary music spot but also a good club upstairs so a good place to end up.

Parallel to George's Street you have the iconic Grafton Street (which you have to visit!) which itself has some great pubs.  My pick of which would be Kehoes and Bruxelles which is for the rocker in you (jukebox playing AC/DC type stuff would be standard fare).

Between Templebar and Grafton Street you have O'Neills of Suffolk Street and if you want a very snazzy (and yes, expensive) spot for a bit of posh totty, go up to Dawson Street (parallel to Grafton Street on its other side) where you have Cafe en Seine or Sam's Bar.  For a larf you could all also try to fit into the smallest bar in Dublin, The Dawson Lounge.

Dakota on South William Street (in between Georges Street & Grafton Street) is well worth checking out too.  You're still less than 5 minutes from Templebar at this point.

Parallel to Aungier Street/Wexford Street you've got Stephens' Green which has the pretty cool Dandelion club.  Another regular haunt of mine.

If I was recommending somewhere to end up, I'd say Dandelion or upstairs in Whelan's on Wexford Street, or Dicey Rileys on Harcourt Street which; if there are smokers in the group; has one of the best smoking areas evarrrr.  Oh and hypothetically ( ;) ) if there was someone who was in dire need of a shag then you'd send them to Copper Face Jack's on Harcourt Street which also has the advantage of being one of; if not the latest opening (non-wine-bar) club in the city.  To say it has somewhat of a reputation would be an understatement.

You mentioned titty bars.  Just be aware that they close at basically the same time as the clubs do.  So you won't be able to get turfed out of a nightclub and then wobble up to Lapello on Dame Street for a dance, cuz you won't get one.

Grub
You can't beat a dirty kebab in Zaytoon in Templebar :)  One thing we seem to do better over here is keep our food places open way beyond the clubs close, because they know the food zombies will be along :)

So to sum up (with my subjective ranking out of ten).
The main places involved would be
Templebar - Quays Bar (8), Workman's Club (8), Foggy Dew (7), The Mezz(7), The Temple Bar (maybe just have one in here)
Grafton Street - Kehoes (9), Bruxelles (8)
Wexford Street - Whelans (9), Flannerys (7)
St Stephens' Green - Dandelion (9)
George's Street - Hogans (8)
South William Street - Dakota (8)
Dame Street - Mercantile (7), Stag's Head (8)
Harcourt Street - Dicey Rileys (8), Copper Face Jacks
Dawson Street - Cafe en Seine (7), Sam's Bar (7), The Dawson Lounge
Suffolk Street - O'Neill's (7)

I'm sure someone else will chip in with pubs from other areas.  You could; for example; drink down the Baggot Street end of town which is one of the other exits off Stephens' Green.  Plenty down there too.

• Like 1

Now, so as to help with your route plan, here's a map with the pubs I mentioned numbered on the map. Took bloody long enough to do :)

a2e703dd186933e202c499f6443fc4f1.png

1 Quays Bar

2 Workman's Club

3 Foggy Dew

4 The Mezz

5 The Temple Bar

6 Lapello

7 Mercantile

8 Stag's Head

9 Zaytoon

10 Hogans

11 O'Neill's

12 Dakota

13 Bruxelles

14 Cafe en Seine

15 Dandelion

16 Kehoes

17 Sam's Bar

18 The Dawson Lounge

19 Whelans

20 Flannerys

21 Dicey Rileys

22 Copper Face Jacks

• Like 3

Dicey is also dirt cheap ;) think 5 euro in but not more than 4 euro a pint on weekends. Some good bars on BOF list though I would firmly disagree with 3 of them :P 

though I expect you to be hit hard in the pocket if hit at least half of them

Â