Dublin

Demitri_C

It was horrible. But we only went there for a larf.

I've booked to go back to Dublin on my birthday in December. Just going for the day with she who shall not be named. £25 return :)

• 3 months later...

Just spent a grand weekend in Dublin, to be sure, to be sure.

I read this thread and was slightly surprised at how underplayed the prison tour was. It was an excellent introduction into Irish history. Our guide was really engaging and knowledgeable.

Temple bar was too expensive and unremarkable for us.

We had an excellent Japanese meal, which was genuinely excellent and enjoyed the Guinness storehouse. The views at the top were good. We had a few Irish ales and it's clear why Guinness is so popular.

All the museums are free which is good, particularly enjoyed the bog men at the history museum.

Dublin is an excellent mix of old and new and for a £20 return and a 45 minute flight , a no brainer.

Overall thoroughly enjoyable.

• Like 2

It is a good tour, and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets tarted up even more now with this being the centenary of the 1916 rising.  There'll be extra attention paid to it and it'll no doubt be a bumper year.

What set it apart from my expectation was that our guide attempted to contextualise the political history alongside the history of the prison. In fact, the prison was there to facilitate the telling of history, because the prison was used to house political prisoners. It was probably the best tour I've been on.

As an aside we did go on the open top bus tour. Not something we normally do, but a nice couple from Mansfield gave us their tickets as they were leaving and the ticket was still valid.

It was good, but especially because the driver guide was the caricature of Irishness. He was so (intentionally) funny, 'So it were, some were ' etc.

Copper Face Jack's was the most vile rammed sweat fest I've ever been in.

I think I'd have loved it at 17 or 18, not for me now.

So many women in shoes far too high just falling all over the place. They don't even care just a "...**** me..." and they get back up and dance off. Very amusing.

Is that why they're called "**** me shoes"?

The male/female toilets thing may be changing. We've been to several places lately where the men's were immaculate, but my missus said the ladies' were filthy, stinking and generally scary.

Looking forward to Dublin in March. Any handy tips for a 3 day trip?

Some good places to eat and see? I don't drink but it's a stag do so i will let those guys pick the places to go. I'll just enjoy the music and the sightseeing during the day!

15 hours ago, omariqy said:

Looking forward to Dublin in March. Any handy tips for a 3 day trip?

Some good places to eat and see? I don't drink but it's a stag do so i will let those guys pick the places to go. I'll just enjoy the music and the sightseeing during the day!

Have a read of this and my map post a few below it.  I did it for Stevo last year.  This thread in general will be good advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Have a read of this and my map post a few below it.  I did it for Stevo last year.  This thread in general will be good advice.

Thanks BOF. Looks pretty comprehensive. Any tips on what to do during the day?

Obviously depends on what you want to get from it and what you like doing, but it's quite a nice city to just walk around taking in the atmosphere. Taking in Grafton Street, walking up to Christchurch, doing the Quays and O'Connell Street.  Stopping for coffees and whatnot.  As for actual sights to see, that's covered elsewhere within this thread.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Best pub for a stag do .....The George.......Dont listen to BoF its a hidden gem  

Oh yeah I forgot you telling me they threw you the best party ever.  All the bells and whistles, and whatever else they could cram in :D:thumb:

• Like 1

Honestly, start with a read of this thread.  It has a mix of everything, from the drinking to the culture.  See where you are (at) after that.

15 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I'm going to be at UCD for a may-term sponsored by my college over here in the states. any advice on what to do to pass the time while over there?

Go out to ballymun or tallaght for the day with a map and bumbag "fannypack" & ask for directions ......it will lead to a very interesting & fun filled  day :D 

• 5 months later...

Going 1st - 4th July with the girly, her twin, and her boyfriend. Staying on Leeson Street near the canal, have already bought a 3 day open top bus thing ticket to get around, and although I have the last few pages of the thread - any other advice on eating out and things to do, specifically in that area of town? 

It's their birthday on the Saturday night so need a nice place for dinner then, have had a look at Bloom Brasserie which is nearby and look decent, and the twin wants a night at the 'International Comedy Club' - any good? Anywhere better? 

Â