Dublin

Demitri_C

as going for a weekend id say go to O'Reillys on the quays for cheapest beer usually 3.30 a pint but not greatest drink. could also go Living Room sports bar off O'Connell street where you can pick up pitchers of beer on the cheap

cheers zatman, me and me mate are leaving brum on the friday morning and get into dublin at 9, seems theres a bus (no 16) that will drop us off in parnell sq where our hotel is, then on the night time me missus and her mate are joining us. were not from o`connell street according to our hotels website

Parnell square is a stones throw from O'Connell Street and the Villa supporters pub Murrays is actually on the corner so if their is a game on that weekend you could pop in there and join some other nutjobs ;) they do same pub deals as the Living Room which i mentioned above

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a few times but a while ago (2007-2008). We sought of stuck around Temple Bar but we loved it! I would love to visit the place again soon.

Highlights from the trips:

-Seemingly drunk taxi driver calling everyone "chicken" (including bikers who pulled up alongside: "Hello Chicken!")

-Seemingly drunk taxi driver whom stuck to his word and picked us up at 7am from the hotel 3 days later and even waited half an hour whilst we remembered, thought "oh shit" and promptly got dressed. Seemingly drunk taxi driver wasn't as drunk as he sounded.

-Going to the Guinness Storehouse where once we got to the top, friendly bar dude gave us 2 pints each for "looking like we needed it".

-Seeing the "Guinness Ambulance"!!

-A road trip out to Sligo. Just as we entered the place, I was dying for a pee, so we dashed for the nearest pub. Walked in and distinctly noticed the strange atmosphere (people looking up from their newspapers, others stopping talking). "Uh Oh" we thought. We ended up having a few pints chatting to the locals asking where we're from etc.

Parnell square is a stones throw from O'Connell Street and the Villa supporters pub Murrays is actually on the corner so if their is a game on that weekend you could pop in there and join some other nutjobs ;) they do same pub deals as the Living Room which i mentioned above

Probably a bit late but if you were to venture into Murrays, what they never tell you is that the Villa Nut Jobs are all upstairs (which isn't obvious) and you'll find them in their corner next to the nutjobs from teams around the world all watching their own game on their own screen. And you can nip out onto the smoking deck in seconds for a fag.

The upstairs bit is crucial because you walk in and think, there's not many people here and where's the football on. Walk to the very back of the pub and go upstairs

There's a new entrance to the upstairs of Murrays at the front door now. You go into the porchway and go right for the pub or left for the upstairs.

• 4 weeks later...

one final question chaps, the information ive got for the getting the bus from dublin airport to parnell square is the number 16a and costs 2.20euros, its from tripadvider but 3 years old, as far as i can tell from dublinbus.ie the 16a no longer exists but is just known as the 16, but i cant figure out how much its gonna cost off the website, any info please?

16 or 41 will take you into the city and they are outside Dublin airport. their is a machine at the stop where you can buy a 90 minute bus ticket which is actually cheaper than paying directly on the bus. i think it might be 2.30

It'll be in and around that Jim. You'll be grand. Just note that it is exact change over here. You won't get change from the driver so if you give him a fiver, you'll get a receipt back for a ~€2.70 refund*.

* Which you reclaim quite close to Parnell Street (O'Connell Street), ironically.

May I recommend Jurys inn custom house key to stay in as I used to work there the rooms are decent its not overly expensive and the food is good also had the pleasure of bumping into and talking to an ex villa player/manager who often stays there

thanks for all the advice chaps, im pleased to say from what i remember it was a great weekend, i had my pockets rinsed but it was worth it, we went drinking round temple bar/grafton street during the day and it was about 4.80 a pint which was cheaper than i was told, then went drinking again on the night time to find it was 5.80, then 6.50, then 7 euros a pint as the night went on, what the **** that about! went into murrays and what a fine establishment, 10euros for a pitcher of fosters which was 3 pints, i sharked some new zealanders on the pool table outside then left, didnt get to watch the game in there ended up in sinnotts and o`donogues in grafton street cus we got talking to a couple of locals (one of which claimed he was graham burkes cousin and told me bents definatly off in jan), the highlight was trying to talk to a french bloke outside our hotel at 2.30am, but the only french i know how to say is bonjour and berau de change, so he assumed i was asking where a berau de change was and walked away the miserable bastard.

• Like 1

Where the hell were you paying €7 for a pint? Unless you were in the 5 star Burlington hotel. Anyhoo, glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Sinnotts is a great bar. I've had plenty of good nights in there. It's pretty hard to go wrong anywhere from Templebar up to Stephen's Green. O'Donoghues I wouldn't be a big fan of though and it is over-priced. Did you try Bruxelles?

Â