Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aston Villa caretaker boss Kevin MacDonald admitted that new manager Gerard Houllier has met with his players following their 1-1 draw with Bolton.

Houllier has already been announced as Villa boss, but was unable to take charge of the game, but watched the game from the stands alongside new assistant Gary McAllister at Villa Park on Saturday.

What the former Liverpool boss would have seen in the first half was promising, but the second half demonstrated some of the team's shortcomings and were, in the end, lucky to escape with a point.

MacDonald stated that he did not know Houllier's plans for the team once he arrives properly, with some feeling that the Frenchman will not keep faith with some of the bright talents that the Scot has brought into the first team and stick with experience.

"Gerard just came down after the game to speak to the players and say that he will see them Monday morning with Gary (McAllister) and the rest of the coaching staff," said MacDonald.

"He just told me to get stuck in to preparing the team and get the tactics right, but we didn't have enough on the pitch today.

Good players

"There's a lot of good players there, youngsters and seniors. It'll be up to Mr Houllier to bring that forward, but there's not much changes from the team last year with Martin (O'Neill) that did outstandingly well.

"So there is a lot of good players to play with and we'll see if we can work to try and push us further up the table."

Asked whether he would consider staying in a similar role of management after tasting it for the first time following Martin O'Neill's departure in August, MacDonald felt that he would have to assess the spell before making a judgement.

"I'll sit back and look at how I've actually done, then I'll know if I've enjoyed it," he added.

"I've enjoyed loads of things, but some things haven't been as easy.

"I'll have to think about it."

http://tinyurl.com/35svzbu

Who else could we have got Chindie?

Well it isn't my job to hire the manger or know the state of all the managers in all the leagues in the world but I daresay we could have found someone from a league somewhere who is performing well and would be worth giving a go, who brings something new to the table.

Unfortunately we're so risk averse (and/or cheap) that we didn't so we've got Houllier.

Besides which my comment isn't entirely about Houllier, only partly. A lot of trouble of getting better in this league is, for want of a better way of putting it, everyone else we can't compete with.

Best start just enjoying the ride imo.

Well it isn't my job to hire the manger or know the state of all the managers in all the leagues in the world but I daresay we could have found someone from a league somewhere who is performing well and would be worth giving a go, who brings something new to the table.

Unfortunately we're so risk averse (and/or cheap) that we didn't so we've got Houllier.

Besides which my comment isn't entirely about Houllier, only partly. A lot of trouble of getting better in this league is, for want of a better way of putting it, everyone else we can't compete with.

Best start just enjoying the ride imo.

Hang on, Houllier is far from the cheap option. :?

Seems to be as if some people just wanted to take a big risk instead of getting a proven manager.

We tried for Jol and Moyes but failed as they didn't want to come, if it was at the end of last season then maybe, I agree what you say about his play at Anfield and if Thompson had followed then I would have feared the worst, however Gary McAllister and our Sid know how the game is played, that's more why I'm excited, in our coaching staff we have a variation of personnel, a technical manager and fitness coach, two quality midfielders as coaches!

Seems to be as if some people just wanted to take a big risk instead of getting a proven manager.

Forgive me if I disagree that Houllier wasn't a cheap option - I think a desk job in the backroom of the FFF is probably cheaper than front of house somewhere else. Just a thought.

It seems to me as if you're wrong re. just wanting a big risk... I think it's more people wanted us to show some ambition in our hiring, rather than get someone who, imo at least, has a CV that flatters to deceive but is a safe choice, and one who already doesn't think a whole lot of us.

Still, I hope he succeeds.

But, who would YOU have liked us to go for? (obviously discounting the likes of Ferguson, Wenger, Hiddink etc).

Forgive me if I disagree that Houllier wasn't a cheap option - I think a desk job in the backroom of the FFF is probably cheaper than front of house somewhere else. Just a thought.

It seems to me as if you're wrong re. just wanting a big risk... I think it's more people wanted us to show some ambition in our hiring, rather than get someone who, imo at least, has a CV that flatters to deceive but is a safe choice, and one who already doesn't think a whole lot of us.

Still, I hope he succeeds.

If the club were cheap they would've got K Mac or Curbs.

Hiring Houllier is showing ambition! I really can't think of many other managers we could have realistically got that would've been more ambitious.

But, who would YOU have liked us to go for? (obviously discounting the likes of Ferguson, Wenger, Hiddink etc).

I haven't got a clue.

I lent towards Jol but knew it was unlikely given - Ajax's CL qualification, Ajax's giving into his demands re. players, and the sheer cost of his contract (circa £8m).

I'm not sure what that matters though. Because I couldn't think of anyone I would have liked, which says more about quite how much I know of managers on the continent/the lack of thought of I've given it, means I have to like having Houllier? Not sure that follows.

Look, I said when we had him, he was the best of the bad bunch we seemed to have placed as front runners. I don't think that necessarily means he's also the best we could have gotten, regardless of me personally being unable to name all the managers in the world that were attainable and better.

I think we'd have been better off backing the previous manager and ensuring he stayed but that's probably for another thread.

Houllier certainly has a lot to live up to as I think three top 6 finishes on the spin in this league is nothing to be sniffed at. That is the bench mark lets see if Gerard is up to it. I hope so but have my doubts.

Â