NRC. Are you a fan or not?

BOF

Pick one  

265 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• I am a fan
    • I am not a fan

No, I think, all in all, you're wrong. People just think Nigel is bollocks. And they're right too, imo of course.

Although many more people, or more rather the cast majority of people, voting in this thread, seem to think he's actually rather a good player.

And they're right too, IMO of course. :winkold:

No, I think, all in all, you're wrong. People just think Nigel is bollocks. And they're right too, imo of course.

Although many more people, or more rather the cast majority of people, voting in this thread, seem to think he's actually rather a good player.

And they're right too, IMO of course. :winkold:

Lots of people believe in homeopathy.

And they're not right either, imo of course.

;)

Good post on this subject on footballfancast.com:

"Aston Villa seem set on making themselves this season’s early favourites to be the Jekyll and Hyde team of the season. With a degree of uncertainty hanging over many player’s future’s at the club and with Chairman Randy Lerner looking to tighten the purse strings, whether it be Kevin McDonald who takes the helm, or an ‘experienced Premiership manager’ as their statement construed, they are going to have to do the best with what they have already at the club, and Nigel Reo Coker could prove pivotal this term.

With every club in the Premiership having to announce their 25 man squads, the quite frankly tiresome and dull debate as to ascertaining the makeup of each team’s squad can be thankfully put to bed. What was interesting was that Villa chose to name just 22 players out of a possible 25, hence signalling a threadbare squad, something which was obviously an open secret by now anyway.

A lot of managers preach about being down to the bare bones, and it’s a well-worn protectionist routine that often carries little truth when trotted out as reasoning for a side’s failures by a beleaguered manager; however in Villa’s case at least, they do seem to have a very small first team squad.

An emphasis has been placed on youth in their opening games in both the league and in Europe so far this season, which would go some way to explaining the inconsistent nature of the club’s results thus far. With McDonald in charge, and his knowledge of those coming through the academy and at reserve team level unparalleled at Villa, it was to be expected.

Marc Albrighton, Ciaran Clark and Barry Bannon all look real prospects, but a side with the stature of Villa cannot rely on youthful vigour over the course of an arduous season alone and a few wiser heads will need to step up to the plate.

This is where Reo Coker comes in. To call him a wise head would seem a bridge too far for most, for his playing style has always bared a youthful exuberance to it, but it’s in his decision making, the hallmark of any experienced pro, that has always been questionable to say the least, but it’s worth remembering that at 26 years of age he already has considerable Premiership experience, captained a Premiership club in West Ham, and amassed over 250 career appearances; a total not to be taken lightly.

Reo Coker was frozen out under previous manager Martin O’Neill after a rumoured bust-up at the training ground, but in all honesty, he was heading towards the fringes long before that. O’Neill rather sadly, had a penchant for discarding a lot of the players that he himself signed as Villa manager, an odd policy, and while the same can be said of a lot of managers in practice, with a squad the size of Villa’s and with opponents planning on your team running out of steam, (something John Terry noted that his Chelsea teammates worked on in training prior to their 7-1 win at Stamford Bridge last March) to work within the confines of such a small squad, would seem wholly detrimental to the rest of the squad and on results.

With James Milner having departed for a big money move to Man City and Stephen Ireland coming in the opposite direction, Villa’s midfield, while full of craft and guile, would seem to lack the urgency and industry that Milner allied to his technical gifts, was capable of providing so superbly last season. In short, Villa can look a little lightweight. Stiliyan Petrov has been exceptional the last two seasons, but his strengths lie in his passing game and his positional discipline rather than his harrying of the opposition and he can often look jaded and off the pace when asked to perform this role.

Reo Coker only started 10 games last season, and quite rightly so with Milner exceptional in the middle of the park, but with him gone, while Ireland may appear to be a like-for-like replacement going forward, they will be easily caught on the break and off the ball without a robust player such as Milner, or now, Reo Coker in the middle.

He started against Everton in what was an extremely fortunate 1-0 victory over the weekend, but the graft shown by Reo Coker was notable and his performance was outstanding in the aspects you’d expect – work rate, tackling ability, closing down – and he could have a large part to play in any success Villa may go onto have this season. He may not be pretty to watch at times, but behind every great side there is, as Didier Deschamps was rather less affectionately called ‘a water carrier’ and this is a role Reo Coker relishes, and one that he could thrive in if he’s allowed to carry it out on a more regular basis than under the end of Martin O’Neill’s tenure."

Made even better by the pics of Van de Vaarts missus at the bottom!!

No, I think it's more that people understand that we need someone to do a defensive role in midfield, and indeed want it, but NRC is shit at it.

I also believe we could do better, fairly easily. We just haven't. There are plenty of players around the world better at the defensive side of things in midfield than Nigel, and there are plenty of players around the world better at the all action deal in midfield, ala Essien.

Not surprised to see you express that view in such a humble manner.

Given that we haven't signed any of these "plenty of players" and we have the squad of 22 that we have, at least until January, would you not recognise that we need NRC in there at the minute??

Putting the plenty of players in quotes makes it seem like you are disbelieving of such a thought, which makes arguing the toss with you seemingly pointless, but still.

I recognise we need the players, not that we need NRC. Had we another, even decent, CM, I'd have him out the door so fast his head would spin. I'd be tempted to have got rid of him anyway to be frank.

This is a sensible question I think, (I won't respond with anything but an "Okay"....)

What would you have as the current midfield with what we have at the moment then? I know you clearly dislike Reo-Coker but surely he has to start with what we have right now, I mean surely you can admit, our results with him in the side aren't results that would suggest we are playing with a totally inept player?

I'd be tempted to try Sidwell ahead of him in a 3 with Ireland playing in the hole.

For all his vanishing acts, Sidwell is still a better football player and has a enough of the box to box about him to leave Petrov to the finesse stuff and Ireland to rely almost entirely on attacking.

If I were picking the team, and NRC played, make no mistake - he'd be playing in the infamous DOL Craig Gardner role - There Is No Alternative.

Thats not an endorsement of NRC at all. It's the opposite.

I'd be tempted to try Sidwell ahead of him in a 3 with Ireland playing in the hole.

For all his vanishing acts, Sidwell is still a better football player and has a enough of the box to box about him to leave Petrov to the finesse stuff and Ireland to rely almost entirely on attacking.

If I were picking the team, and NRC played, make no mistake - he'd be playing in the infamous DOL Craig Gardner role - There Is No Alternative.

Thats not an endorsement of NRC at all. It's the opposite.

FFS No!!! When Sidwell steps on the field you just know he will commit a silly foul to concede a penalty or a dangerous free kick in the 90th minute.

The "Reo-Coker can't pass for shit" myth is one of my favourite down the Villa :lol: Because it's entirely that of course, a myth...

Anyone who can make C.Ronaldo look remotely average has a touch of class about him. And, as highlighted by this poll, the vast majority of people agree he is a good player for us :) Not exceptional, but a good honest player with many great attributes. And I for one would have him in the team over Petrov every day of the week.

The "Reo-Coker can't pass for shit" myth is one of my favourite down the Villa :lol: Because it's entirely that of course, a myth...

Just like the "NRC tackles a lot" myth. No he doesn't anymore.

And there's more to passing than just about managing to roll the ball to someone to make it a successful attempt in statistics. There was a time on Sunday when we were breaking, Albrighton running on the wing and it needed a crisp ball to space from NRC. Instead he slowly rolls it behind Albrighton who has to stop, defenders mark the forwards, the whole thing dies down. And its not isolated, he does that.

Anyone who can make C.Ronaldo look remotely average has a touch of class about him. And, as highlighted by this poll, the vast majority of people agree he is a good player for us :) Not exceptional, but a good honest player with many great attributes. And I for one would have him in the team over Petrov every day of the week.

being able to make Ronaldo look average doesnt make him a good passer of the ball. And alongside make Ronaldo look average he also managed to make Albert Riera look like a world beater. More selective memory from the villa fans.

I'd get shot of him. Keep Sidwell though, can never have enough gingers in the squad.

We lack height in Midfield. The amount of balls lost in the air is pathetic. We've always had a player in the middle like a Taylor or a Boateng who can get up and win challenges. Half the time Reo-Coker don't even jump.

NRC isn't even close to Stan. This weekends game summed it up for me, Stan was making all the tackles, creating play to go forward, the one showing passion and protecting the back 4. NRC just looked completely lost.

Sorry but Reo-Coker was far better.

Creating play to go forward? When was this :?

Reo-Coker was involved more than Petrov and better than Petrov on sunday, no question.

NRC isn't even close to Stan. This weekends game summed it up for me, Stan was making all the tackles, creating play to go forward, the one showing passion and protecting the back 4. NRC just looked completely lost.

Sorry but Reo-Coker was far better.

Creating play to go forward? When was this :?

Reo-Coker was involved more than Petrov and better than Petrov on sunday, no question.

No really he wasn't

NRC is still our player and can still do a job for us. He might run out of ideas in and around the box but apart from that he has an influence when we need to tough out a game. Who knows, if he plays regularly and gets his full confidence back he could be a key player for us this season.

Â