NRC. Are you a fan or not?

BOF

Pick one  

265 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• I am a fan
    • I am not a fan

i'm a big fan of nrc, liked him while he was at west ham and i was delighted when we signed him

christ knows what the deal was with him and mon but i do think nige was harshly treated during the last season or two and that given an extended run in the team playing in front of the back four then some of the nrc haters might soften their stance on him

he's certainly not the player he seems to think he is, his passing sometimes frustrates me, i vaguely remember him picking the wrong pass in the final third of the field a number of times. i can see what people are getting at with their criticisms of nige but i think that he has some very positive atributes, he plays with a lot of heart and commitment, breaks up play well and has lots of energy, he must be a nightmare to play against

i hope we can find a place for him in our first 11 and that he stays with us

If he dropped his delusions of grandeur ('I'm a box to box to midfielder'...), learnt to be disciplined as a holding player, sitting in midfield and keeping it simple, learnt more positional play from that position, read the game from that position much better (rather than do what he does now, which is react to whats happening rather than snuff it out with his presence/position), learnt to nick the ball off a player like Petrov can, rather than steam in, learnt to control a ball with finesse, learnt how to hold possession, and never ever took a shot again in his life, I'd think he'd be great.

Sadly, what he actually does is steam into someone, either make a sliding tackle or just kick it off their toe to everywhere but his own possession, normally just into some free space for another runner from their end to grab onto (and thus starting the whole charade again until it falls to a Villa man or into touch). The times when he intercepts a pass, or is passed to, he 90% of the time either dwells on the ball for an age during which time he seems unable to control the thing and gets pounced on by everything within 20yards, buggering any approach play up, or if he chooses to run with it he punts it miles away from his foot, hasn't the vision or the skill to regularly create anything, and then cocks it up somehow. The amount of times he just runs towards goal and you just know not a thing is going through his head other than 'FORWARD!'. After which he either loses the ball or some other way **** up the attack and generally leaves us short, similar to Laursen when he went through his 'must head everything' phase, left holes all over the shop.

If he could manage to become a simple holding player, I'd be singing his praises.

If he could manage to become an Essien type all action mid, I'd be singing his praises.

Unfortunately, what he is, is a shit box to box player who thinks holding is beneath him, with **** all skill (and I believe the defensive side of the game is a skill, and it isn't all just tackling, it's positional) and atrocious technique at just about everything, and no brain. His endeavour is fantastic but we're past that. 'Trying' only gets you so far, at the sharp end you need to start backing it up with something else, and he can't. Or won't.

He is at best a squad player, ideally should have been out the door a while ago, and only hasn't been seemingly because we've been unable to purchase someone to make him obsolete, which is a travesty.

O'Neills worst signing, in my view, by miles. Big-ish money on potential he's never filled and never had threatened to fulfill. A decent season when we were still pretty mediocre, and the moment he had helped us past that point his first team use expired unless his potential became fulfilled and he became 'The Makelele with Legs'. He didn't.

Thats why I'm not a fan. (Though of course we've heard all that and the counters before...).

I'm not that surprised he's quite so liked. People love a trier, and those who look to be working hard.

Agree with everything said above.

I don't think NRC has ever stated, or even intimate, his ability is more than a holding midfielder, if anything he has welcomed the defensive role and done it effectively for the club.

He's stated on numerous occasions that he sees himself as a box to box midfielder but is happy to play as a holding midfielder if required.

One moment yesterday summed him up - won the ball in midfield, played a clever one-two with Young, bust a gut to drive forward 40 yards into the box, Jagielka falls over, Young unmarked in the box and Reo-Coker plays it straight at Jagielka lying on the floor when it would have been easier to miss him than to hit him.

He's a player who has admirable qualities and there should definitely be a place for him in the squad - but not the first team in 90% of games. Which probably isn't good enough for him.

Exactly, and its not the first time he's done it either. More often than not when he's in that position he ruins a great chance to score. Shame they dont have a stat for that as he would probably be worse than most league one players in that situation.

I'm simply shocked at the results of this poll.

For me Heskey, Downing and NRC are all poor excuses for premier league footballers and have gotten away with that tag all their careers.

They are all good athletes though which has gotten them where they are now but in truth they are all holding us back.

One moment yesterday summed him up - won the ball in midfield, played a clever one-two with Young, bust a gut to drive forward 40 yards into the box, Jagielka falls over, Young unmarked in the box and Reo-Coker plays it straight at Jagielka lying on the floor when it would have been easier to miss him than to hit him.

Yeh, that's why he drives me nuts. And it's all so predictable, you know it'll happen as soon as he makes the burst forward.

I like the effort he puts in but.... where's the poll option for "meh"?

He's better than McCann ever was and my favourite player used to be another that divided opinion (Lee Hendrie) so I really had to say "Yes" to NRC, didn't I?

... but he's not my favourite. :winkold:

If he dropped his delusions of grandeur ('I'm a box to box to midfielder'...), learnt to be disciplined as a holding player, sitting in midfield and keeping it simple, learnt more positional play from that position, read the game from that position much better (rather than do what he does now, which is react to whats happening rather than snuff it out with his presence/position), learnt to nick the ball off a player like Petrov can, rather than steam in, learnt to control a ball with finesse, learnt how to hold possession, and never ever took a shot again in his life, I'd think he'd be great.

Sadly, what he actually does is steam into someone, either make a sliding tackle or just kick it off their toe to everywhere but his own possession, normally just into some free space for another runner from their end to grab onto (and thus starting the whole charade again until it falls to a Villa man or into touch). The times when he intercepts a pass, or is passed to, he 90% of the time either dwells on the ball for an age during which time he seems unable to control the thing and gets pounced on by everything within 20yards, buggering any approach play up, or if he chooses to run with it he punts it miles away from his foot, hasn't the vision or the skill to regularly create anything, and then cocks it up somehow. The amount of times he just runs towards goal and you just know not a thing is going through his head other than 'FORWARD!'. After which he either loses the ball or some other way **** up the attack and generally leaves us short, similar to Laursen when he went through his 'must head everything' phase, left holes all over the shop.

If he could manage to become a simple holding player, I'd be singing his praises.

If he could manage to become an Essien type all action mid, I'd be singing his praises.

Unfortunately, what he is, is a shit box to box player who thinks holding is beneath him, with **** all skill (and I believe the defensive side of the game is a skill, and it isn't all just tackling, it's positional) and atrocious technique at just about everything, and no brain. His endeavour is fantastic but we're past that. 'Trying' only gets you so far, at the sharp end you need to start backing it up with something else, and he can't. Or won't.

He is at best a squad player, ideally should have been out the door a while ago, and only hasn't been seemingly because we've been unable to purchase someone to make him obsolete, which is a travesty.

O'Neills worst signing, in my view, by miles. Big-ish money on potential he's never filled and never had threatened to fulfill. A decent season when we were still pretty mediocre, and the moment he had helped us past that point his first team use expired unless his potential became fulfilled and he became 'The Makelele with Legs'. He didn't.

Thats why I'm not a fan. (Though of course we've heard all that and the counters before...).

I'm not that surprised he's quite so liked. People love a trier, and those who look to be working hard.

SPOT.ON

I think he's OK.

Every once in a while he has a great game.

When he's not playing people get very excited about him and decide he's better than he actually is.

I agree with Chindie that I wish he was a great holding midfielder, but that's not what he thinks he is.

I used to be a fan when he used to get stuck in and I was hoping he'd eventually learn not to get caught in possession so much. He isn't quite as stupid with the ball nowadays, which is nice. But at the same time he doesn't really tackle anymore for some reason. He just runs around, wins the ball maybe a couple of times per game and joins a few attacks where he never contributes towards a goal. Feeling very meh about him nowadays, just about does a job on the pitch when he's starting I suppose.

Fan. Should be captain.

This for me. I agree with most that he should be a holding/sitting/defensive midfielder BUT its bloody hard to do that when he plays alongside Stan! If Nige doesn't make the lungbursting runs Stan certainly isn't going to!!

He played the DCM role really well when we beat Bolton last year. This was the only chance he got in a 4-4-2 alongside someone other than Stan and anyone that can make a CM pairing look good with Sidders in needs some praise IMO. I would have loved to have seen him given a chance alongside Jimmy - that would have been an energetic CM pairing.

My CM would be:

------------ NRC -----------

----------------- Delph ----

---- SI ---------------------

I would love to see this.

i like Reo Coker for what he does but hate him for what he doesnt, he is half a midfielder.

He tackles, he breaks up play, he surges forward "yes" but he cant pass, he gives opposing midfielders acres of space to play in & is often slow to get back in position

Â