Stephen Ireland

Richard

Hang on, let's take stock here...

It looks like we might be safe this year,

One of our players, who is a major confidence player, who has been showing promise recently, enough to be named MOTM on numerous occasions, has been voted Fans Player of the Year...

yet we are STILL moaning about it.

That's Villa fans :lol:

Some of us just dont realise how much we actually moan.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After one of the crappest seasons in living memory, I find the matter of who gets the fans award a bit pointless. Its not as if we're overun with Silva's or Rooney's, is it? We've got the spectacularly underperforming likes of Gabby, Hutton, Albrighton, Warnock etc etc....the list goes on.

So Ireland gets it? And?

On balance of play, given the number of times he's actually topped polls, he probably shaded it. His only problem is that people have long memories and bear grudges. Personally, I think he's worked hard and shown glimpses of what a influential player he could be, which is'nt a popular opinion most likely but then its only that....an opinion.

I think Given was head and shoulders above everyone else this year - from the first game of the season until now.

Ireland has been much improved - but still up and down form wise (which I suppose is still an improvement on last year).

On the positive side to this, Stevie is a confidence player - and this can only help in that regard. It shows a degree of resolve to bounce back the way he has this seasn after his treatment under Houllier - and still not being a first team regular up until Keane's departure.

If we do sell him this summer, clubs won't be able to bend us over and get him for peanuts. We can simply say 'Player of the Year - sensible offers only.'

If any club were to offer £8 million + I'd be tempted. But I wouldn't be distraught to see him remain at all. A manager who doesn't have an aversion to flair players might get even more from him. And we will -touch wood- have one of those on board by the time the new season gets underway in August.

I like his interview on AVTV.

He says that he now knows what the Villa fans want - hard work, every game.

I hope he stays and a new manager builds players around him and DB.

The thing that makes Ireland more important than he already is, is the fact that we know his ceiling; his ability; is so much higher. On his day he's a top 4 player. He's basically a player that this current Aston Villa side shouldn't have. If we can massage his confidence with POTY awards then all the better. We need players like him in the side if we're to achieve anything above mediocrity. We saw with Laursen what can happen when you have a player that's above your club's current station. We got Laursen from AC Milan because of a crocked knee that ultimately finished his career, but when his star was shining, my McGrath it shone bright. I'm only comparing their 2 situations rather than their 2 abilities but hopefully most of you can grasp the point being made.

Best player on the playing staff by a country mile.

Building a team around him should be #1 on the new managers priority list.

And to think there are still people on here that think he should be sold!?!?

Haha - So a player (Attacking Midfielder?) who has played in only 17 of 36 premiership games, scored one goal and probably no more than a couple of assists is our player of the season.

Man alive that says it all about how shit we have been this season

Haha - So a player (Attacking Midfielder?) who has played in only 17 of 36 premiership games, scored one goal and probably no more than a couple of assists is our player of the season.

What about his work rate in an unfamiliar role of late though?

I don't like to think how the mood would be on here had he not made that goalline clearance against Sunderland and we were sat on 36 points.

very much deserved and I hope he starts every game next season.

I dont think he's played in his natural position all season.

I don't like to think how the mood would be on here had he not made that goalline clearance against Sunderland and we were sat on 36 points.

For **** sake !!

For **** sake !!

Easily i'd say.