Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I do know that the player is very aware that the majority of fans are against him. He is aware that there's a good chance he'll get booed next time he goes on the field.

This is, IMHO, a load of rubbish. I would say 90% of Villa fans - and I am certainly one of them - are more than with him. We are all hoping that he can be the Ireland that Citeh had in 08/09. All he has to do is apply himself and show some effort and no-one would boo him I am sure.

IMO, he needs to show some maturity and work his socks off for his team mates and we would all love him to become a Villa legend.

I have to agree with Barry'sboots, all the AV fans wanted from him is to show some real effort, not just the odd pass here and there, put it in for the whole game.

He has potential. But so did I when I was a youth. Potential really means nothing to be honest, you have to back it up with something more than just a season. He could work here, he just seems so reluctant to do so.

Lets be wise and put his wages somewhere worth while and improve our game on the field.

I can see him going to a Bolton, Blackburn, Fulham style club where he will, like Sidwell, play most games and get in to a rhythm and become successful for them. Wouldn't be surprised if he opt abroad though.

He has potential. But so did I when I was a youth. Potential really means nothing to be honest, you have to back it up with something more than just a season. He could work here, he just seems so reluctant to do so.

Lets be wise and put his wages somewhere worth while and improve our game on the field.

I can see him going to a Bolton, Blackburn, Fulham style club where he will, like Sidwell, play most games and get in to a rhythm and become successful for them. Wouldn't be surprised if he opt abroad though.

Apologies as I don't know you and how much potential you had or what level you got to. But that statement is a joke. SI has got potential but he has also played very well for 2 seasons at the top level for a good team. He's got more than potential.

I had potential too. Knees got **** though :cry:

Apologies as I don't know you and how much potential you had or what level you got to. But that statement is a joke. SI has got potential but he has also played very well for 1 season at the top level for a good team. He's got more than potential.

Fixed that for you!

1 season in how many?

Apologies as I don't know you and how much potential you had or what level you got to. But that statement is a joke. SI has got potential but he has also played very well for 2 seasons at the top level for a good team. He's got more than potential.

I beg to differ. So your saying he's past the potential stage? Well if so, what has he done? Bar that outstanding season at City where he played with the likes of a very in form Robinho, Elano etc.?

For me, a player comes out of the potential stage once he has actually proved something over a decent amount of time.

He has not exactly set Villa on fire and has come nowhere close to how VDV has set Spurs up this season.

Has he **** off yet ?

Probably too **** lazy to start his car

Don't say that, he just lacks self-belief!

What he needs is someone to sit in the passenger seat and put his arm round him, give him some encouragement to pick up the keys and applaud like a seal on crystal meth when he finally hits the ignition.

Situation seems pretty clear to me.

GH came in and club said you will have money to spend but you need to slash the wage bill. (A la what MON was unhappy about doing).

So he looks at his squad and pinpoints a number of players on high wages he doesn't want - Carew, Sidwell, Ireland. And he basically says I don't want you at the club.

Gazton - You are simply giving us the other side to the media storey and the truth is always somewhere in between. GH says I don't see you as part of my plans, SI says well in that case I better find someone who does want me. GH says OK hand in a transfer request (trying to save some money) SI says feck off you are the one who's getting rid of me.

I dont see anything bad in all this surely if you backed GH in the beginning you have to back him to pick his own squad.

I along with everyone else had high hopes for Mr Ireland but it hasn't panned out (of course with more time he could still shine but it looks like its not to be and if GH brings in someone with similar ability and a bigger heart I'm happy).

I don't think GH has lied. As previous people have said its not in his interest to do so. He's just telling his side of the same storey.

So he looks at his squad and pinpoints a number of players on high wages he doesn't want - Carew, Sidwell, Ireland. And he basically says I don't want you at the club.

Hmmm, judging by the quote from Houllier in this football tips blog it looks like it's Ireland who wanted out "Once a player wants to go, he goes. He said he wanted to go in January. He said that to his agent. I think we will be looking to get the same kind of money back."

Clearly doesn't like Houllier. Just hope we do get our money back.

I beg to differ. So your saying he's past the potential stage? Well if so, what has he done? Bar that outstanding season at City where he played with the likes of a very in form Robinho, Elano etc.?

For me, a player comes out of the potential stage once he has actually proved something over a decent amount of time.

He has not exactly set Villa on fire and has come nowhere close to how VDV has set Spurs up this season.

No as I said he still has that potential but he has done well for 2 seasons in the prem not just one. People seem to forget the season before when he chipped in with a few goals and assists. Not just the Robinho season. For a player to do that in 2 seasons at the age of 20/21/22 means that they have also realised some of that ability. Now he needs to do it every season for a prolonged period.

The previous poster was comparing SI's situation to his own and I'm saying it's markedly different. Unless said poster has played for a good premiership club and performed well for 2 seasons?

No as I said he still has that potential but he has done well for 2 seasons in the prem not just one. People seem to forget the season before when he chipped in with a few goals and assists. Not just the Robinho season. For a player to do that in 2 seasons at the age of 20/21/22 means that they have also realised some of that ability. Now he needs to do it every season for a prolonged period.

The previous poster was comparing SI's situation to his own and I'm saying it's markedly different. Unless said poster has played for a good premiership club and performed well for 2 seasons?

Didn't play premiership football but played for a premiership club. I **** things up because I wasn't grounded and let things get to my head.

Anyway, Ireland got 4 goals the season before, hardly setting it alight really and definitely did not have the impact like he did the season after. yes, i appreciate the season after he way a year older, a year wiser but he had different quality around him, helping him to look better than he was. IMO!

He still has A LOT to prove and show the fans that he actually is good. I think that is what is frustrating for most of the fans here, the fact that everyone can see he could be good but he thinks he has done it already, when he is far far from it.