Match Thread (Locked)

limpid

Haven't been able to watch. How is Ireland doing?

I would say he has been our best player. Getting into the right positions, getting stuck in and his passing has been top notch. Made a fantastic run into the box and deserves a goal.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First half thoughts:

We look good in glimpses but we're playing too narrow and relying on two fullbacks for width, both of whom are playing out of position!

Great play leading upto the goal and a nice comeback from Gabby - shame he picked up a knock.

NRC is not a RM but Ireland is slowly imposing himself on the match. Petrov is looking very composed tonight!

Heskey's work rate is admirable but that's all!!!

Davies is not doing himself any favours!

Worthy of the lead and definately the better of the two teams.

Hope we bag another early in the 2nd to put this to bed.

NRC is a poor ball player imo gets the odd foot in i can see why oneil didnt rate him

Can't be poor if he's given it away once or twice. Unless it has to be forward all the time for you?

no hes just another average player that some on here spunk over

Average why?

Because he has no flair or dribbling ability? He's a defensive player. He's won the ball and played safe passes, which is exactly what is required. He's not a Wesley Sneijder ffs.

I'm liking Ireland a lot. Not everything he does has come off, but I love his desire to play a 1-2 all the time, his movement, his runs into space and his clever little passes. I also loved him screaming at NRC to give him the ball back simply when NRC looked like he was trying to think of a hopeful long pass forward. The more time he plays with the rest of the team the better we'll see from him, I think. I'd love to see him play with Delph too.

NRC is a poor ball player imo gets the odd foot in i can see why oneil didnt rate him

But he still paid £8.5m for him, and with the money West Ham got from us they bought Scott Parker and had had a couple of million quid change. We really did get stitched up on that deal.

I dont like Reo Coker at all. One or two good games a season just isnt enough, he was fantastic at Liverpool away last year but in the 12 months since that game all he has been able to do is have a fist fight with the manager and sit on the bench. No doubt he will bugger off on a Bosman in the summer and will be up there with Balaban and Sasa Curcic in the biggest wastes of money to grace Villa Park club.

Can't be poor if he's given it away once or twice. Unless it has to be forward all the time for you?

no hes just another average player that some on here spunk over

Average why?

Because he has no flair or dribbling ability? He's a defensive player. He's won the ball and played safe passes, which is exactly what is required. He's not a Wesley Sneijder ffs.

no hes makelele with legs

I think in the second half we'd be better if we went to 5 in midfield with Ash and Marc on the wings. I think we need bother Reo and Petrov to be playing central with Ireland playing off Heskey. 4-2-3-1 basically.

How awful is Ugo as a pundit? Shocking performance.

more wooden than the Cuprinol man!! a typical ITV pundit

Even Deano looked slightly embarrassed to see him desperately try and string a sentence together. Poor Ugo.

A bit early to start defending for me - not that Albrighton is a defensive player. Fonz like for like makes sense, too.

Glad there was no quality in the final third there. Rough defending.

Why would you think we were going to start defending? :?

Subbing in a midfielder instead of a striker in the first half. Someone mentioned something about Albrighton's workrate over Delfouneso. I probably took it out of context.

See I half agree and I half don't. Absolutely right to play him tonight, and he does bring something to the team. Closing down on the edge of our box near the end of the half is the perfect example. If he was actually any good at the second bit - playing safe passes to team mates regularly - he'd be an incredible player. As it is he's useful but limited.

I'm liking Ireland a lot. Not everything he does has come off, but I love his desire to play a 1-2 all the time, his movement, his runs into space and his clever little passes. I also loved him screaming at NRC to give him the ball back simply when NRC looked like he was trying to think of a hopeful long pass forward. The more time he plays with the rest of the team the better we'll see from him, I think. I'd love to see him play with Delph too.

I think he'll link up with Ash as well as he did with Robinho.

But he still paid £8.5m for him, and with the money West Ham got from us they bought Scott Parker and had had a couple of million quid change. We really did get stitched up on that deal.

I dont like Reo Coker at all. One or two good games a season just isnt enough, he was fantastic at Liverpool away last year but in the 12 months since that game all he has been able to do is have a fist fight with the manager and sit on the bench. No doubt he will bugger off on a Bosman in the summer and will be up there with Balaban and Sasa Curcic in the biggest wastes of money to grace Villa Park club.

Well it was hardly his decision to sit on the bench, was it? Maybe his apparent 'fight' with MON was a step too far but at least it showed he wasn't just happy to 'sit on the bench' and collect his paycheck every month.