Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

What happened to "I won't believe it until it's on the OS"? It would be hilarious if it was all bull now and everyone had to eat their words.

Anyway since it is definitely going to happen, at least we're getting some money and replacing him the day before. I doubt he'll be starting the Euro's next year but at least he will get to play in 2 champions league group games and lift a few trophies that his teammates won.

Replacing Delph and Vlaar, with Gueye and Richards, and just about breaking even isn't bad business to start the window, there's still a 8 weeks left don't forget.

I wont. I still think we can get a better player into midfield than him ;)

• Like 3

Before we start blaming Delph for leaving for 8M I think it's about time people realised the only people to blame are the club for letting a key asset get to the last year of his contact. We should admire Delph for even making sure the club got

8M for him. He was fully entitled to leave us for free.

Pathetic from Villa yet again. Praying for new owners.

yes, all very well and I agree;

But why talk crap about LOYALTY IN FOOTBALL?

What should he be loyal for? Being signed by a club and told they had big plans but then a few years later pay transfer fees and wages lower than a Championship club? I can't blame him for leaving and I bet prob 99.9% of you would do the same if were in his shoes.

most players you could argue but Villa stood by him through some injuries and some wretched form. remember his loan spell at Leeds? Nope most of their fans probably dont either

and also the fact he bullshitted about loyalty 6 months ago doesnt help his case

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Before we start blaming Delph for leaving for 8M I think it's about time people realised the only people to blame are the club for letting a key asset get to the last year of his contact. We should admire Delph for even making sure the club got

What should he be loyal for? Being signed by a club and told they had big plans but then a few years later pay transfer fees and wages lower than a Championship club? I can't blame him for leaving and I bet prob 99.9% of you would do the same if were in his shoes.

most players you could argue but Villa stood by him through some injuries and some wretched form. remember his loan spell at Leeds? Nope most of their fans probably dont either

What was the alternative? When you sign a player you have to stand by him when injured. You can't just leave him to rot.

I don't blame him for leaving. The only poor form from him was the shit he came out with in January. He would have know full well he would be snapped for 8M.

Unless he didn't expect it?

most players you could argue but Villa stood by him through some injuries and some wretched form. remember his loan spell at Leeds? Nope most of their fans probably dont eithe

What was the alternative? When you sign a player you have to stand by him when injured. You can't just leave him to rot.

We didnt have to give him a new deal when he seemed injury prone at time and not in great form

So it seems that Sky Bet suspended betting, The Daily Mail (a paper that many said this week is not too reliable with its transfer rumours) took it from this that a deal was done and The Evening Mail, SKY & BBC Radio WM ran with the story.

It does not look good does it? But I will wait to see Delph pictured in Manchester waving a Citeh shirt or to hear him or either club say that a deal is close or has been done before I am 100% sure he is a Villa captain who has put money before loyalty to "his" club and his England place.

Prove us all wrong again Fab as you did by not choosing to walk away for nothing during this window. Set an example to those coming to the club and to those who like you might have a choice to make on staying or leaving during this window. Do the right thing or face the wrath of those fans you will leave behind despite those recent assurances you gave them.   

Edited by John

At the end of the day if we can replace him with a better passer of the ball in that final 3rd and someone that can score more than 1 goal a season we will be better off.

I can't see him making it in the champions league, etc. He will get 15 mins off the bench or garbage premier league time against lower half teams.

He has done OK for England so that is his sole reason for moving but I don't recall the opposition being too good. Messi will meg him once and then next time Delph will dive in and be red carded

To all those who say that they don't begrudge him doing it for money and that we would all take the offer if given to us, I honestly wouldn't. Not just for money. As he is, he's already rich. I make far less, but am happy with my job and if some other school (I'm a teacher) cam in offering double what I earn, I wouldn't feel a strong inclination to take it. You see, I feel a sense of loyalty to the organization I currently work for. I don't think that it crazy. Sure if I hated my job or the people I worked with, I'd snap at a new opportunity, but that is not how it seemed to Delphi at all. So, with respect, if the extra pay is one of delph's main reasons for jumping ship, I will hold that against him (mind you, how can we know?)

Not that good a player from what i have seen loses the ball in really important places on the pitch and his step overs got on my nerves as nothing really came from them.  He will be found out soon enough as he will only play in the carling cup!

so lambert agreed to the £8 million buy out clause. well done scotty.

You realise it was either that or he'd have already left for free, right?

How are people not getting this?

Do people think we just put that clause in for a laugh?

I certainly agree the club have been forced into it in one respect, but they've been quick to capitalize on it...and I wonder how much PR stunt is behind the so called "message to fans".

I don't know what you mean by this?

You think we've deliberately got Man City to bid so that we get to sell him?

We have no choice if there's a clause and they've met it.

We won`t hold on to England internationals will we . These guys don`t support the Villa and are quite willing to be part of an English contingent squad filler in the big four sides . At least by signing his contract for us it allowed us to get SOME cash for him

I genuinely fell for all that guff he fed us in January, it sounded like it was coming from the heart and like he really meant it. Maybe at the time he was aware there'd been interest from Liverpool/Spurs level clubs but he knew he'd rather stay at Villa than go to one of those, so he felt confident saying what he did as he intended to stay for the foreseeable future. He might not have envisaged a club like Utd, City or Arsenal triggering the clause any time soon. Overall, I'm still very disappointed in the way it's panned out and it leaves a sour taste in the mouth, whatever the explanation.

• Like 1

Now he'll be Fabian Shelf.

Not angry and him leaving. It's a blow, but hardly unexpected given his questioning Micah Richards about what life is like at Citeh.

He did sign a contract which meant he didn't leave for free - respect to him for that.

My problem is the garbage he spouted when he signed his new deal. He made representations that made Villa fans believe he'd adopted the club as a club he truly loved.

Pretty two-faced of him to behave as he has.

Bizarrely I actually feel less confident about keeping Benteke now. Just thought bringing in Gueye and potential a couple of others we have been linked with surrounded by Delph would show Benteke that while we aren't great, Liverpool isn't much of a leap as they will again struggle to get a CL place this season so what's the point, wait for a big team to come in for him.

so lambert agreed to the £8 million buy out clause. well done scotty.

You realise it was either that or he'd have already left for free, right?

How are people not getting this?

Do people think we just put that clause in for a laugh?

I certainly agree the club have been forced into it in one respect, but they've been quick to capitalize on it...and I wonder how much PR stunt is behind the so called "message to fans".

I don't know what you mean by this?

You think we've deliberately got Man City to bid so that we get to sell him?

We have no choice if there's a clause and they've met it.

The media spin from it, all #avfcofficial glossy images of his "loyalty" and video message to the fans.  All very elaborate.

If such a low clause does exist, then it's obvious that the bartering between player and club went on and Delph in a very loyal way (not) gave them the ultimatum.  I can very much see the club factoring into the deal the best they can get out of the situation, moving in to get the loyalty video done...which is all very professional and script read.

In a way, the club done a deal with the devil...almost knowingly making a false sense of good feeling for the fans.  I don't hate on them for that, just sayin'.

They capitalized on the situation as much as they could, because it all helps to sell season tickets / etc.  I have no doubt that they will have known of the sincerity of the message (or lack of) they were getting Delph to record, which feels a little bit like exploit.  Cannot blaim them of course, #AVFC is a company that has to turn profits to survive and move onwards.

• Like 1

To all those who say that they don't begrudge him doing it for money and that we would all take the offer if given to us, I honestly wouldn't. Not just for money. As he is, he's already rich. I make far less, but am happy with my job and if some other school (I'm a teacher) cam in offering double what I earn, I wouldn't feel a strong inclination to take it. You see, I feel a sense of loyalty to the organization I currently work for. I don't think that it crazy. Sure if I hated my job or the people I worked with, I'd snap at a new opportunity, but that is not how it seemed to Delphi at all. So, with respect, if the extra pay is one of delph's main reasons for jumping ship, I will hold that against him (mind you, how can we know?)

Oh come on. How can you compare that to winning things in football and being an England great??

I'm not angry at him leaving.

I am angry at him spouting all that shit when he signed the new contract though.

Watch it again, it's all too sterile and fabricated...one of those "now it makes sense" moments looking in hind sight, if all this transfer and clause is true :-

Â