Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

If you don't think that Delph has consistently performed, I would venture to suggest that you wouldn't know a footballer if one hit you in the face.

The fact that both the England and Man City set ups think different says everything that needs to be said about your drivel. How I wish you were the manager at Man City.

Fabian Delph is the absolute epitomy of inconsistent.  If he was consistent, he'd have been out of here long ago.

There's talent there, but the end product is more often than not incredibly frustrating.

The Man City transfer policy is not really a good reason to judge a player Mangala, Javi Garcia, Rodwell, Sinclair in recent seasons and its not a great England midfield either

Delph really is very average. Doesnt score enough, create and cant tackle and has no consistency. 1 good game in every 5 game. Delph is one of reasons we are a shit team and if he goes good luck ot him but I wont miss him

Delph certainly is not 'very average', he's an above average premier league midfielder who has been punching below his weight at this club for the past 2 seasons, he's easily good enough for a lot of top half sides.

Now, I don't for a minute think he's Man City quality, but at the end of the day, he's clearly a confident bloke who wants to test himself at the highest possible level. No one can blame him for moving to club like Man City, not only will he get a lot more money but he will have the chance to compete for trophies and play in the champions league, he'd be dumb to turn down such an opportunity. 

Alternatively, he could take the view that he's got himself a spot as an England starter playing in a crap, underperforming team.  He might see that Tim has decent plans in place for players to come in and that captaining a resurgent Villa side every week will make him even more valuable in 1-2 years time when he will be peaking as a player and will then be able to cash in AND get a starting spot in a CL team, rather than the promise of cup games and 18 starts. 

• Like 1

I think the issue is Delph for all his energy and dribbling ability, he rarely scores or assists, rarely takes set pieces that lead to assists. Not saying his passing stats are bad as i'm sure they aren't at all.

Not to say he can't do all of the good stuff above or won't in the future as he clearly has all the ability, attitude and passion to be world class.

But if he was even close to finding a consistent level or performance and end product then he would have gone to Barcelona by now. The fact he plays for England as a key player now tells you how average our current England squad is.

He's made the England team at a point where the England team is arguably at its lowest point in my lifetime. Almost like he's been called the tallest dwarf. He's not THAT good and certainly not Champions League good.

He's made the England team at a point where the England team is arguably at its lowest point in my lifetime. Almost like he's been called the tallest dwarf. He's not THAT good and certainly not Champions League good.

I totally agree with this, and I think people are very quickly forgetting how rotten he was before he signed the new deal. He's good, sure, better than almost everyone else in the team, but he would play very irregularly for a top 6 side. 

If you don't think that Delph has consistently performed, I would venture to suggest that you wouldn't know a footballer if one hit you in the face.

Given the responses of other people in this thread, and the lack of those so far saying hes been consistent for 2/3 years.....im glad im not the only one "who wouldnt know a footballer if one hit me in the face". Glad we got butterfingers to prove us all wrong with his expert footballing knowledge and to show us who the real footballers are of this world

Edited by gharperr

Given the responses of other people in this thread, and the lack of those so far saying hes been consistent for 2/3 years.....im glad im not the only one "who wouldnt know a footballer if one hit me in the face". Glad we got butterfingers to prove us all wrong with his expert footballing knowledge and to show us who the real footballers are of this world

How old are you? Seriously?

Of course he has consistently performed. The majority voted him player of the season for the past 2 seasons, not a few bitter & twisted souls on VT who have the hump because Delph may dare to leave relegation battling Aston Villa.

Tbh as well, are players really THAT bothered about the Euros? Worle cups etc used to be the pinnacle of a players career. Now I don't believe it is.

He's a regular for England right now. That may not continue forever, this could be his one chance to play at a major tournament for his country.

Yes they care. Very much so.

As much as the champions league? I'm not so sure.

Well then it's a good job that's not what I'm doing at all isn't it. Isa said a team wouldn't want that, I was just stating a team with one of the best coaches worldwide at the helm have done that, so presumably did want that, for the last 2 years.

Fair point. In Chelsea's case they have maybe the best youth team in the world currently and I believe Mourinho has been instructed to bring more of those through. So they were seemingly happy to use some of those to bulk up the squad.

Edit: Also, Mourinho historically isn't as big an advocate of the 'big squad'. He prefers settled line-ups and having versatile players who can cover a few positions. But he is an exception in that regard.

Wasn't Mourinho a big advocat of having two players for every position?

Butterfingers - why the personal attack asking people's age, they are entitled to an opinion. Before he got his contract renewed he hadn't been performing well. Since the new yr he performed better and was a big impact on the team. Player of the season votes are always distorted by performances at the end of the season (Grealish won young player but barely featured for over half the season)

• Like 1

The Man City transfer policy is not really a good reason to judge a player Mangala, Javi Garcia, Rodwell, Sinclair in recent seasons and its not a great England midfield either

Delph really is very average. Doesnt score enough, create and cant tackle and has no consistency. 1 good game in every 5 game. Delph is one of reasons we are a shit team and if he goes good luck ot him but I wont miss him

Delph certainly is not 'very average', he's an above average premier league midfielder who has been punching below his weight at this club for the past 2 seasons, he's easily good enough for a lot of top half sides.

Now, I don't for a minute think he's Man City quality, but at the end of the day, he's clearly a confident bloke who wants to test himself at the highest possible level. No one can blame him for moving to club like Man City, not only will he get a lot more money but he will have the chance to compete for trophies and play in the champions league, he'd be dumb to turn down such an opportunity. 

3 league goals and 5 assists in 3 seasons. That is crap not average.

Steve Sidwell the definition of average has 11 goals and 4 assists in that timeframe

Butterfingers people are entitled to their own opinions calling them bitter because they counter yours is also childish.

I'm a big Delph fan and I'm not bitter about him as I think he will stay, even if he leaves I'm grateful he allowed us to get a fee for him. But I still feel his isn't the most consistent of players and as I said its my opinion.

3 league goals and 5 assists in 3 seasons. That is crap not average.

Steve Sidwell the definition of average has 11 goals and 4 assists in that timeframe

That's not all its about though. He's got plenty to work on but if you can't see that Delph has been our best player by a mile for the last few seasons then I'm not sure what you've been watching.

He's not in the England team for nothing.

Since the World Cup and Gerrard and Lampard left the England squad has included Vardy, Mason, Downing, COlback, Danny Rose and Jonjo Shelvey

world beaters to say the least

Edited by Zatman

I agree with you on many things Zatman but I don't agree with you about Delph. I think he is a very talented player. He could easily step up to the next level not that I want him to of course unless its with Villa. 

Since the World Cup and Gerrard and Lampard left the England squad has included Vardy, Mason, Downing, COlback, Danny Rose and Jonjo Shelvey

world beaters to say the least

Yeah they've all been regular starters.

I agree with you on many things Zatman but I don't agree with you about Delph. I think he is a very talented player. He could easily step up to the next level not that I want him to of course unless its with Villa. 

He is good and a battling relegation level but he doesnt offer anything more for me and doesnt turn up in that many games. He has talent but he has never showed it consistently

Selling Delph wont make Villa a better team but it wont cripple us compared to selling Benteke who has lived off the scraps our midfield has fed him

• Like 1

consistently? give me a break. We have finished average 16th in them 3 seasons and he is supposed to be the "heartbeat" of our team

3 league goals in 3 seasons is pathetic

There's 10 other players on the pitch you numpty, can't do it all can he?!

Â