Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Darren Lewis in The Mirror. Dembele would be an upgrade on Delph for me but realistically I don't think he'd come here. He could do better.

If Dembele was an upgrade on Delph he wouldn't have been on the bench for 18 months behind dross like Capoue and youth like Bentaleb and Mason. I'm not sure he even makes the bench at the moment.

Doesn't make him a bad player but I would very strongly doubt that he would come in and turn in MOTM performances every other week like Delph has been doing for a while now. 

• Like 2

He's 27, I'd have thought his developmental period has passed it's due date ;)

Not always. Look at Vlaar's improvement since he signed for us, it has been considerable despite our woes. You could also include Guzan into that category. However, I think the player must consider playing regularly first and foremost before any other factor ( such as money & location). 

If Dembele was an upgrade on Delph he wouldn't have been on the bench for 18 months behind dross like Capoue and youth like Bentaleb and Mason. I'm not sure he even makes the bench at the moment.

Doesn't make him a bad player but I would very strongly doubt that he would come in and turn in MOTM performances every other week like Delph has been doing for a while now.

The situation at Spurs in general is odd. Dembele said today that he's never received an explanation from the manager as to why he isn't playing. Let's not forget that this is the same Spurs who deemed Gylfi Sigurðsson not good enough for their team. I wouldn't read too much into it personally.

But going from what I've seen of Dembele as a player since he arrived here, he is pretty complete and a superior footballer to Delph.

• Like 1

Would he want to come here though?

To play games and develop? 

Would he come here if say West Ham or Southampton came in for him?

Probably not, but is it likely those teams would be looking to acquire him? 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Not always. Look at Vlaar's improvement since he signed for us, it has been considerable despite our woes. You could also include Guzan into that category.

I wouldn't say Vlaar has improved as such. More that he has adapted and it was difficult for him to do so in the first season givem how bad the defence was. But I can't think of an attribute that he is much better in than when he was at Feyenoord.

I see what you mean though and obviously it is never too late to learn. What I meant more was that at 27, development is unlikely to feature much in Dembele's thinking when it comes to choosing a new club. He is entering his prime and will likely want to spend these years at a club challenging for Europe/honours if possible you'd think.

However, I think the player must consider playing regularly first and foremost before any other factor ( such as money & location).

Totally agree. It's just whether there will be more attractive propositions still with guaranteed game-time than us. I'm pretty certain there would be.

the bit i'm not sure about is who has delph purportedly spoken to when saying that he doesn't want to sign a new contract at this stage. to the club or to the press? I know the telegraph broke the story, but it seemed vague in its wording...

as with vlaar's comments yesterday, I will not take a view on delph one way or the other until we know definitively what is happening... the problem with being an up and coming player is that being offered a contract, effectively only underwrites your options - players across all clubs use that as the basis to test the market to see whether there are better offers out there...

delph, and more importantly his agent, know that villa's offer will stand and only be improved, the longer he waits before committing... in my mind there is very little downside in delph waiting as a number of better clubs than villa in its current state would take delph at the drop of a hat...

what it needs is a few more stores like NRC, who thought the offers would come flooding in only to find that they didn't, for players to take contract negotations a bit more seriously...

while i'd love the club to be able to play hardball with its players at contract negotiation time, its not a luxury that any club has with its better players....

• Like 1

If Dembele is an upgrade on Delph,  why do Spurs want Delph?

As stated above, Spurs didn't want Sigurdsson. Spurs are a car crash of a club. So are we but we're a car crash because we have literally nothing gong for us, Spurs have every conceivable advantage and all they've built is a retirement home for 28 year olds.

• Like 1

Delph likes his little swerves and fancy touches, but he usually ends up giving the ball away and never does any defence splitting passes!  As for his England call up i think it shows just how woeful the England squad is at the moment!!

• Like 1

Â