Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I actually think in today's market he is probably worth around 70-75k p/w and I've no doubt that he'll find that somewhere.

I can't believe we're looking at Vlaar, Delph and Benteke leaving in the next 1-7 months :blush:

Yep and only getting a fee for one of them. Should make rebuilding an easy task.
Lerner's problem of Lerner's making. If he'd invested more, making us more competitive, then they might have signed extensions or even wanted to stay here.
  • Like 1

Its the clubs fault and no one elses. From Lerner, lambert, faiulkner to now fox. Not sorting out the contracts of arguably our best two players after benteke is stupid and ridiculous.

You don't let your best players contracts run down to the final year.

• Like 2

Its the clubs fault and no one elses. From Lerner, lambert, faiulkner to now fox. Not sorting out the contracts of arguably our best two players after benteke is stupid and ridiculous.

True, but it also requires the player to actually sign.  We all seem to be working on some belief that Delph or Vlaar or <next man> would love to stay here.

Of course, they may well sign a new deal; who knows.  Football is a greedy game though - both know they could get more money elsewhere.

• Like 1

True, but it also requires the player to actually sign.  We all seem to be working on some belief that Delph or Vlaar or <next man> would love to stay here.

Of course, they may well sign a new deal; who knows.  Football is a greedy game though - both know they could get more money elsewhere.

This - you can't make them sign if they do not want to.

I suspect this was all left too late because of Lerner's decision to sell.

If the decision was taken to hold off until Lerner sold the club, which obviously didn't materialise, then a lot has happened in those 6 months, namely

Vlaar had an exceptional world cup, which will have alerted anyone to he's quality.

Delph has now broken into the England squad and hasn't looked out of place doing so.

Add to that the fact that we still have an owner who's treating us like a ginger haired step son & our form has hardly been stellar so far, another season of struggle on the cards, who can blame either of them for wanting to play in a better environment.

Again, the decision to let them get to this stage was **** mental.

• Like 1

Let's say that Vlaar has a brilliant WC under Van Gaal and Van Gaal says to him "Ron, I want you to come with me to Man Utd.  I'm going to look to sign Daley Blind as well as you - you guys have been the stars of my defence and I'd want you with me at Old Trafford". Vlaar knows he's in the last year of his contract, sees Man Utd as a] a bigger club b] a chance to win something c] more money for himself and decides not to sign the offer Aston Villa have made him.

It may well be the fault of the club but it still takes two to tango.  You'd assume (granted, assume) that people at Aston Villa recognise the better players in the team and would want to keep them.  I'd assume (again, assume) that efforts have been made to extend both contracts before we've gotten to this situation.

Yeah, it's definitely down to the club. You just don't wait until a player enters the final year of his contract before offering a renewal. The reason is likely due to the sale situation and Lerner believing he would've sold by now but still, very incompetent. Though unfortunately not surprising where our imbecile of an owner is concerned.

• Like 1

Darren Lewis in The Mirror. Dembele would be an upgrade on Delph for me but realistically I don't think he'd come here. He could do better.

Edited by Isa

Â