Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

If Delph gets forward more then we leave gaps in the space he has ran from.

He's doing his job very well and if we had Sylla back up to scratch it would probably allow Delph to make more surging runs, knowing he has somebody ready to cover his arse.

• Like 1

I've heard it all now. Slagging our player of the season so far. Some people....

Did you miss his run when he ran about 50 yards, holding off a couple of players before having his shot blocked?

It's not slagging off though. I like Delph but am just pointing out what he can improve on.

I wonder why some people come on these forums sometimes? 

I've heard it all now. Slagging our player of the season so far. Some people....

Did you miss his run when he ran about 50 yards, holding off a couple of players before having his shot blocked?

It's not slagging off though. I like Delph but am just pointing out what he can improve on.

I wonder why some people come on these forums sometimes?

You obviously are though! You said he offers NOTHING in the final third. Delph has been brilliant so far and of couse there are things he can improve on. Just find it strange that you're knocking him when there are others (Weimann) who have been really off the pace.

Delph is a box-to-box player and thus is expected to produce defensively and offensively. He is not an exclusively defensive midfielder which is why Lambert said yesterday:

. I thought on Saturday against Man City we asked him to play a different (deeper) role and maybe asked him to put a marker down at the beginning of the game. I thought he did it.

He can be a defensive player playing further forward. Further back he would be getting under the feet of the deep lying playmaker - Westwood or El Ahmadi.

Last season we saw Sylla play a defensive role the furthest forward of our midfield players. That was proved with heat maps.

These days you can't label a player as offensive or defensive based on their position in midfield. You need to look at their stats.

0 goals and 0 assists in the league last season and so far this equates to little in the final third. Also, you'll find me laying into Weimann, Westwood and others who play poorly on the other threads if you bother to look.

Delph is a box-to-box player and thus is expected to produce defensively and offensively. He is not an exclusively defensive midfielder which is why Lambert said yesterday:

. I thought on Saturday against Man City we asked him to play a different (deeper) role and maybe asked him to put a marker down at the beginning of the game. I thought he did it.

He can be a defensive player playing further forward. Further back he would be getting under the feet of the deep lying playmaker - Westwood or El Ahmadi.

Last season we saw Sylla play a defensive role the furthest forward of our midfield players. That was proved with heat maps.

These days you can't label a player as offensive or defensive based on their position in midfield. You need to look at their stats.

Yes and what did he produce in the final-third last season when he played further forward with Sylla and Westwood behind him?

Sorry.....just looking at Alpay does my head in......

I thought having him as my avatar would be a suitable heads-up that my opinions are not always mainstream...

;)

• Like 1

You cannot use the fact Delph doesn't score or assist as a stick to beat him with

That is not his role or his brief from Lambert

It some times feels like he's doing it all by himself this season in midfield. When he drives forward more often than not he has nobody moving in front of him

I'm watching man UTD at the moment and I'm thinking stick him in instead of Cleverley and he would tear it up

He is carrying our midfield

• Like 3

Yes and what did he produce in the final-third last season when he played further forward with Sylla and Westwood behind him?

You missed the point. If you play further forward defensively with a playmaker behind you're necessarily not going to be "producing" more. 

Delph is the first name on the midfield teamsheet because of his defensive qualities - tackles and interceptions - and his skill at driving forward with possession, and often winning free kicks as a result.

Goals and assists are the least of his responsibilities. It's as ludicrous as judging Bannan on his tackling.

You missed the point. If you play further forward defensively with a playmaker behind you're necessarily not going to be "producing" more.

Well firstly the emboldened part is an oxymoron. Secondly, if you play further forward then you are expected to offer more offensively. Just as if you play deeper you are expected to contribute more defensively.  

Delph is the first name on the midfield teamsheet because of his defensive qualities - tackles and interceptions - and his skill at driving forward with possession, and often winning free kicks as a result.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I haven't claimed anything other then he is our best midfielder.

I think you are a bit harsh on Delph Isa.

For me Delph is a good midfielder, who should be playing alongside a more creative midfielder, alongside Sylla or KEA.It was Westwood who is supposed to be the more creative player, delph is the Mikel kind of player , if you like.I think he has a lot more in his locker, at moments he does show real quality, but , where i do agre with you Isa, is probably not enough,But he is getting better, and i do feel his confidence is getting back to pre-injury levels.

I am not trying to take away from what he has been doing well. I think he has been excellent this year but I still think he should be contributing more to our attacks.

I think the system that PL is playing is having 2 sitting midfielders, who help the defence, and the 3rd midfielder, plus Gabby and Weimann are supposed to provide the assists, and score.We actually look better when Delph breaks from deep, draws a player out, and then bursts into that space.For me, thats when Gabby , Weimann, Westwood and Kozak, should be making themselves more available.A couple of times in the 2nd half, Delph done that, but , on one occassion he shot, when he should have played Tonev in, and the other, Gabby gave the ball away too cheapley.

I'm quite happy with Delph, and Kea, and Syllas contributions, its Westwood, Gabby and Weimann who have got to do much better imho

Delph is a joy to watch atm, our most improved player in the squad by some distance. This time last year I was advocating selling him in the January window and I doubt I was the only one.

Now a cynic might see it's Lee Hendrie syndrome e.g. suddenly stay fit and play well for a bit as your contract is running down (Delph's is up in 18 month) but nah I think that would be unfair, I think he just realises it's about time he started showing the form he did at Leeds and he's also stayed fit for a prolonged period which hasn't always been the case.

I see him as a more advanced NRC, more mobile and much more reliable as a passer. He should chip in with goals as the season goes on, was unlucky at Arsenal hitting the post.

Â