Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

20 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Boston is the city in America I want to visit the most but I'm not sure why!

My perception of things has always made me think the one city most Brits would have no interest in would be Boston.

Random history type question for yuz- When you think of British Colonial America, do you think Boston, New York, Phily, Virginia...or do you not really view it that narrowly?

22 minutes ago, maqroll said:

My perception of things has always made me think the one city most Brits would have no interest in would be Boston.

Like I said, I can't put my finger on it but whenever someone says where would you like to visit in America I always say Boston.

want to go to boston to see a red sox game.seen the mets in ny and dodgers in la but as a red sox fan got to go to boston.the history of the independence as well is a reason and of course a fan of cheers.

Was Cheers really popular over there? Cheers is corny now, but at the time, it could be a pretty funny show I guess. NBC made some pretty good shows in the 80's. They did alright with Seinfeld and Friends in the 90's too. But I don't get why so many Brits thought Friends was funny. It was **** stupid, vapid, insipid mediocrity. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Random history type question for yuz- When you think of British Colonial America, do you think Boston, New York, Phily, Virginia...or do you not really view it that narrowly?

For what it's worth, I wouldn't very often think of any part of America as British Colonial America. But for a bit of history I'd personally presume to go on a grand tour of Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Salem and that whole general 'New England' nebulous place I've got in my mind. But Boston would definitely be in there, it would be an 'obvious' place and I'd fully expect it to have a touristy side.

New York City I think I'd treat as a separate thing. I really want to go and see the Flatiron Building in Manhattan. That's a bucket list thing for me, plus trying to find some of those stereotype streets from films like 'The French Connection'.

Then for me, I will eventually get out there and see the whole vast nothing of the dusty middle. I quite fancy the idea of the old straight road through the red dust from horizon to horizon with a mom 'n' pop gas station every 200 miles or so. Film stereotype: 'Vanishing Point'.

Currently getting a whole bunch of vicarious pleasure researching where my nipper might be going for a year. Bizarrely, Detroit is a front runner. Absolutely no interest in Florida, LA, Vegas and all that bright lights chuff.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Weirdly before I visited the states it was number one place I wanted to visit, blame Pixies, I used to love them and always associate them with the city.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Was Cheers really popular over there?

And here. I use the quote "women, you cant live them, pass the beernuts" at least once a month

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

For what it's worth, I wouldn't very often think of any part of America as British Colonial America. But for a bit of history I'd personally presume to go on a grand tour of Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, Salem and that whole general 'New England' nebulous place I've got in my mind. But Boston would definitely be in there, it would be an 'obvious' place and I'd fully expect it to have a touristy side.

New York City I think I'd treat as a separate thing. I really want to go and see the Flatiron Building in Manhattan. That's a bucket list thing for me, plus trying to find some of those stereotype streets from films like 'The French Connection'.

Then for me, I will eventually get out there and see the whole vast nothing of the dusty middle. I quite fancy the idea of the old straight road through the red dust from horizon to horizon with a mom 'n' pop gas station every 200 miles or so. Film stereotype: 'Vanishing Point'.

Currently getting a whole bunch of vicarious pleasure researching where my nipper might be going for a year. Bizarrely, Detroit is a front runner. Absolutely no interest in Florida, LA, Vegas and all that bright lights chuff.

Good man

Â