Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, ten and the keeper out of shot makes eleven.  You can see the 10th player's legs under the first 'A' of 'A Villa' in the scoreboard.  You can also see the ref and 11 Liverpool players.

Eh, ten and the keeper out of shot makes eleven.  You can see the 10th player's legs under the first 'A' of 'A Villa' in the scoreboard.  You can also see the ref and 11 Liverpool players.

You could as easily photoshop those "legs" in as you could airbrush Baker from the back line.

However, if we call those "legs" Holman this is what the formation looks like at that moment.

What is Baker doing there? My guess is we had possession, passing the ball along the back line with Clark as pivot. Someone lost the ball and they counter attacked. (Bannan did not get dispossessed and did not turnover the ball once during this game, so it would not have been him!).

5occhs.png

Point is, you can't criticise Clark for his positioning if you don't know the build up to that moment. Clark could be in the correct position.

The fact there are only 9 outfielders clearly visible suggests it could be a photoshop though. 

The fact there are only 9 outfielders clearly visible suggests it could be a photoshop though.

Because, presumably, in a picture where a photoshopper only wants to move Clark into a silly position, there would be a need to add more players to the picture too. #logicfail

Because, presumably, in a picture where a photoshopper only wants to move Clark into a silly position, there would be a need to add more players to the picture too. #logicfail

No, it's much easier to keep Clark in the same position but delete Baker, who is next to him at the top of the left side of the D.

If this is an unphotoshopped picture, that would mean Baker in CM next to Bannan, Herd on the right and Lowton standing in Liverpool's half of the pitch. Is the player I have called "Westwood" below Westwood or Holman? If Baker has been deleted Westwood is most likely to be Baker. We know from game statistics that Westwood was dispossessed once during the game. Maybe we were passing the ball at the back, Westwood took possession, got dispossessed, Liverpool broke at our back 3. Then someone airbrushes Baker from the picture to make it look like Clark's in a weird position.

5occhs.png

What is Baker doing there? My guess is we had possession, passing the ball along the back line with Clark as pivot. Someone lost the ball and they counter attacked. (Bannan did not get dispossessed and did not turnover the ball once during this game, so it would not have been him!).

5occhs.png

Rage-why.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You could as easily photoshop those "legs" in as you could airbrush Baker from the back line.

However, if we call those "legs" Holman this is what the formation looks like at that moment.

5occhs.png

na4v.jpg

Put him in the defending mid role and he will prove to be a good player.

Don't see it myself, don't think he has the ability

He was pretty good in that role when McLeish had him there. He is a good defender but he makes silly errors that often get punished in the center defender spot. 

Highly rated youth player - who hasn't made the grade at first team level. Typically once a young players early form dips - they rarely come back. Wouldn't expect him to get much action next season, he his IMO behind Baker, Okore, Vlaar, at CB - and numerous players in midfield are ahead of him.

Time for all parties to move on.

Highly rated youth player - who hasn't made the grade at first team level. Typically once a young players early form dips - they rarely come back. Wouldn't expect him to get much action next season, he his IMO behind Baker, Okore, Vlaar, at CB - and numerous players in midfield are ahead of him.

Time for all parties to move on.

Nonsense. We could be playing three centre-backs in quite a few games next season. Lots of opportunities. Lambert has no favourites, he will pick on form in training. Clark has the talent to be the overall best of the CBs we have. Except long passing, Okore's long passing looks a little ridiculous.

Edited by Con

Ciaran Clark is almost a mirror image of Chris Herd's versatility. By that I mean Clark can play Left Back, Left Centre Back, Left Midfield or Central Midfield. Herd can play Right back, Right Centre Back, Right Side of Midfield or Central Midfield. Both can fit comfortably into a 3 man defence.

Both are great utility players too who bring us versatility & cover in key positions. I rate Herd extremely highly because I think he can blossom into a great holding midfield player, although his lack of pace is possibly his biggest weakness.

Clark could be immense if he can just play with an edge, toughen up more & obviously cut out the silly mistakes. He is a much better player than most people give him credit for & his very underated IMO. Like Herd too he his not blessed with the greatest of pace, but he is very comfortable on the ball & certainly much better in possession than Herd.

I hope they both come of age in the Premiership this season.

• Like 1

Â