Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

Fingers crossed, he's starting to become the player that many thought he could become a few years ago.

He's still learning, but he's been playing well this season, and I hope he continues. It's nice having defenders that can pass the ball (Baker excluded).

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd long since written him off, so I find his form this season particularly pleasing. 

It's funny how the form of a number of our players seems to have changed somewhat since last season; Clark, KEA, Delph and even Bennet look to have improved, while the likes of Lowton, Westwood and, to a lesser extent, Weimann seem to have less successful starts to the campaign.

I'd long since written him off, so I find his form this season particularly pleasing. 

It's funny how the form of a number of our players seems to have changed somewhat since last season; Clark, KEA, Delph and even Bennet look to have improved, while the likes of Lowton, Westwood and, to a lesser extent, Weimann seem to have less successful starts to the campaign.

This is why writing young players off is too soon is a risky business.  You have to give people time - in any walk of life - to prove themselves.  Every one of youngsters who have come through in the last three years have been given a huge baptism of fire.  In fact I can't think of any other set of youngsters that have had such a tough introduction to Premier League football.  Our club was in turmoil when the likes of Clark were first thrown into the action - if he had been blooded into a ready made winning team like man utd three years ago people would have been talking about him in the same (over the top, admittedly) way that they have been speaking about the likes of Smalling and Jones.

I'll say it again:  when Clark was representing England at youth levels he was skipper of a cohort that included the likes of Gibbs, Sturridge etc.  He's a class act and should be all the better for the experiences of the past three years.

• Like 1

The only thing that has changed in his game for me is that he has removed the almost daily clanger he has. He was always a good cultured defender. He'd be that defender for 89 minutes and then do something unbelievably stupid. All he has done is remove that bonehead move . He's now that same good cultured defender for 90 minutes. And he's been the same playing in green too which is pleasing. We've a good'un there.

• Like 1

yeah agree BOF he has been a revelation this season. Think the signing of Okore, fact Baker seemed ahead of him last season has meant he has upped his game and concentrates for the full 90.

seems to have got rid of his habit of conceding stupid yellow cards as well

Yeah and also at that age I suppose the natural progression of experience, particularly for centrebacks, means he is just polishing the flaws that he did have - the primary one being concentration as you say. One of the single most important traits for a centre back.

I think it is quite a general improvement.

Previously as well as the daily clanger he was also getting the round around quite a bit. By which I mean he was struggling to get close to his man or then over compensating and getting too close. He was reacting always to the more savvy striker rather than the other way around.

Now he seems to have added a touch of physicality and seems more confident in his own positioning/concentration which means he is dictating a bit more.

Very glad to see the improvement - really felt he was a weak link for us last year but as with others added competition has brought the best out of him.

Edited by villaglint

Yep, he did drop clangers - and probably has a few more in him - but that's all part and parcel of being a young defender and learning his trade at the highest level.

It's not really just part of being a young defender it's part of being a defender. You're going to make mistakes throughout your career it's how you bounce back from them. Look at Ferdinand against West Brom getting nutmegged and made to look terrible. If that had happened to Clark and the team scored a lot of people on here would be calling for his head lol

Trouble is, with Baker, Clark, Vlaar and Okore we might have a Cahill-like situation on our hands not that far into the future, as they will all be far too good to sit on the bench. Hopefully Lambert will resolve that eventual pickle in a better way than MON did.

The only thing that has changed in his game for me is that he has removed the almost daily clanger he has. He was always a good cultured defender. He'd be that defender for 89 minutes and then do something unbelievably stupid. All he has done is remove that bonehead move . He's now that same good cultured defender for 90 minutes. And he's been the same playing in green too which is pleasing. We've a good'un there.

Agree with that Bof, I think he picked up the 'clanger' move from Dunne, and it's took a year for it to wear off.

Trouble is, with Baker, Clark, Vlaar and Okore we might have a Cahill-like situation on our hands not that far into the future, as they will all be far too good to sit on the bench. Hopefully Lambert will resolve that eventual pickle in a better way than MON did.

I don't think that's a worry. Baker will knock himself out, Clark will get sent off and suspended & Vlaar will be out injured for enough of the season for each defender to get enough playing time ;)

Perfectly put. Those errors were always so frustrating, he was perhaps unlucky that his errors always seemed to lead to goals.

I don't think that's a worry. Baker will knock himself out, Clark will get sent off and suspended & Vlaar will be out injured for enough of the season for each defender to get enough playing time ;)

Good points, sir. Nothing more to add!

• Like 1

I'm not surprised at all. Last year he had the responsibility of captain in a very young team, many games with no senior centre back playing alongside him. To expect clean sheets from him every game in that situation is not being realistic.

He made some silly mistakes as well but the talent is there and he works hard, is a natural leader, so is never going to be far away from the first XI. Better than Gary Cahill (already?) and if he can show his concentration levels are better than Vlaar's, he could eventually be paired with Okore.

Â