Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if we get him, we will have hired above ourselves IMO.

if we get him, we would not have hired above ourselves IMO. Given his C.V. I can't imagine him being a contender for any club above our level. We're about as good as he could do. I have been talking to the French guy in work who follows french football and he's been saying Houillier is rubbish.

I think he was shortlisted for the sha job actually before Mcleish. He was most definietly strongly linked to that role IIRC

if we get him, we would not have hired above ourselves IMO. Given his C.V. I can't imagine him being a contender for any club above our level. We're about as good as he could do. I have been talking to the French guy in work who follows french football and he's been saying Houillier is rubbish.

Aww jeez, I didn't realise you had access to a genuine bona fide French man. I can't compete with that :)

Tell you what, some people on here are legendary

Some would like Curbishley - a guy who has won jack in his entire life, a guy who slagged off our club and left us to die

And then you have GH.

A Guy who took over a club in absolute turmoil (didn't Carragher say yesterday that Souness destroyed Liverpool). He took them from roughly where we are now, into the top 3 and fighting for the league. On the way he won all the cups (Yep - I'd take that on it's own cheers).

He blood youngsters like Gerard. I've just read "Yeah, but he had them". Yeah he had an 18yr old kid, and give him the confidence to show what he could do. Ask Bannan, Albrighton, Cahill and co - did they get the same chance !.

He had a 53% win record. I don't give a shit if we play 9-0-1 if we win most our games !.

He then left and won leagues in France.

He then is now employed by the France FA, in a job which is basically "We are totally in the shit - find us the next generation to get us out of it !"

and hopefully, we may be able to tap that.

And there you go. we are getting a WINNER - and people moan.

And I fecking HATE HATE HATE Thompson. I despise the bloke. But I couldn't stand Paul Barron when he was Big Rons assistant. Didnt stop us being the best football side I ever saw.

Very happy at appointment. Jol was my fave, but houllier I'll take nicely.

Oh, and as for Freidal, I know he was good against Everton, but he needs replacing quickly anyway so I aint bothered. I would hope Shayy Given will be our first signing in Jan !

I think he was shortlisted for the sha job actually before Mcleish. He was most definietly strongly linked to that role IIRC
I knew there was some link Found it

Tell you what, some people on here are legendary

Some would like Curbishley - a guy who has won jack in his entire life, a guy who slagged off our club and left us to die

And then you have GH.

Are those who are not keen on Houllier automatically those who wanted Curbishley then?

I wouldn't take the Phil Thompson links seriously a few days ago it was Staunton.

It's just journo talk.

I'd prefer GH to Sven and with no obvious candidate available there's few options.

Our last European manager Venglos was a disaster, let's hope Houllier, if it is to be him, does a better job.

I knew there was some link Found it

Goal.com :crylaugh: and again no quotes and pure rumour.

ANd on a previous post you put "Something that concerns me is that Houllier is not generally regarded as a man manager yet, according to some, we only have players of a specific nature at the club"

According to some and generally regarded!!!! Says who? Again more rumour and sweeping statements why not get concerned when its fact and not fiction.

The other thing with Thompson I am very unsure of is his commitment.

I think it is obvious why he was succesful at Liverpool, coz he absolutely bled for the club. It is heart and soul and would crash cars into walls at 200mph for them.

Would he at Villa - or will he just be going through the motions.

Thats the worry for me.

Its swings and roundabouts, but I would take Staunton over Thompson to be honest. However, I'd take McInally (who has all his coaching badges) over both of them

Can you imagine Carew trying to cry off with a snivvle with Rambo standing over him !

The other thing with Thompson I am very unsure of is his commitment.

I think it is obvious why he was succesful at Liverpool, coz he absolutely bled for the club. It is heart and soul and would crash cars into walls at 200mph for them.

Would he at Villa - or will he just be going through the motions.

Thats the worry for me.

If the rumours of Thompson turn out to be true (and I think they will), I think he is showing commitment by leaving a very cushy number at Sky to come to Villa. He's a professional and a winner, he won almost every honour he could as a player.

I'm pretty confident he wouldn't be changing his lifestyle so dramatically in order to just go through the motions.

Its swings and roundabouts, but I would take Staunton over Thompson to be honest. However, I'd take McInally (who has all his coaching badges) over both of them
On one hand you criticise people for wanting Curbishley because he has won nothing and then you say you'd take Staunton & McInally over Thompson? Doesn't make sense, more for the fact that not only has Stan not won anything, but he has failed spectacularly everywhere he has been. I'll take the 2 winners, Houllier & Thommo thanks very much!

The 63-year-old had been expected to be confirmed as Martin O’Neill’s replacement at Villa Park today or tomorrow, but the deal has been delayed over some minor complications which club officials are confident of smoothing out in the next 48 hours.

http://tinyurl.com/38aj6mz

Seems to be dragging now..

where does the appointment of GH and Thommo leave Kev Mac i wonder?.
Hopefully back where he was before all of this mess. There's no reason to go near the successful reserve/academy setup and Thommo will know K-Mac better than most so I don't think he'll be out on his ear.

Hmmm, reading up on what Houlier has done with Liverpool - we could do a lot worse!
We certainly could.

The 63-year-old had been expected to be confirmed as Martin O’Neill’s replacement at Villa Park today or tomorrow, but the deal has been delayed over some minor complications which club officials are confident of smoothing out in the next 48 hours.

http://tinyurl.com/38aj6mz

Seems to be dragging now..

Dragging isn't a word I would use....It's starting to piss me off.