Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

It's quite clear that he isn't a manager though, Pilchard and I don't think, well I certainly hope, that what you've said isn't enough for him to get it.

It shouldn't be, no. But as I said - Randy may know about Aston Villa, but he has no experience in the football industry. Falkner, ditto. MacDonald was/is the most obvious, easy choice to make for Aston Villa.

The most important thing in all of this, is that we need to bring in a football administrator. Somebody to bridge the gap between the footballing side and the business side. Someone at the top of his game and help run Aston Villa as a successful business and football club.

If I was Randy I'd be calling David Dein every five minutes to see if he wanted to get back into football.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MacDonald's quotes that they'll wait for him to 'decide' before they interview anyone else makes it pretty clear that Kevin MacDonald is Randy Lerner's top choice to be manager of Aston Villa.

Which is a very weak, poor choice in my opinion.

It's who I've wanted to get it since the day MON walked. Guess if it happens we'll have to wait and see how it works out.

The most important thing in all of this, is that we need to bring in a football administrator. Somebody to bridge the gap between the footballing side and the business side. Someone at the top of his game and help run Aston Villa as a successful business and football club.

If I was Randy I'd be calling David Dein every five minutes to see if he wanted to get back into football.

I agree with all of this. Dein is a key figure in the 2018 World Cup bid at the moment though, will be very busy until December.

Randy has 4 years experience in the football industry now - it's not much but it's more than none.

I think if that was their agenda and if it were that clear-cut, they'd have already appointed him.

I don't think he has. As you said yourself

... This is Lerner's biggest test as chairman IMO. All he really needed to do was sanction funds to keep the supporters happy up until now.

This is his first test, IMO.

Just noticed on the Generals thread someone asked about Brian Little and it as apparently been reported in the Guardian that he as been muted as a possible director of football.

How would people feel about Brian Little coming back and reforming the partnership with JG as coach as in 1996 the last time we won a trophy and finished in the top 4. Both worked with Kev Mac as well so could be a big role for him also.

I know they say you should never go back but could it work?

And I might add, it seems like he doesn't know what to do.

How can it seem like that?

He is searching for a new manager. It is such a big and important role that it doesn't happen overnight.

Unless you know for a fact that he is sat at home googling 'good managers' then I think that is a pretty silly remark to make.

Randy has 4 years experience in the football industry now - it's not much but it's more than none.

I think if that was their agenda and if it were that clear-cut, they'd have already appointed him.

I don't think he has. As you said yourself

... This is Lerner's biggest test as chairman IMO. All he really needed to do was sanction funds to keep the supporters happy up until now.

This is his first test, IMO.

It depends how you look at it really. Whilst that was all the action that Randy had to take, he seems to be the studious type and the kind of guy that likes to find out a lot.

I think he must know a hell of a lot more about football now than he did 4 years back.

Just noticed on the Generals thread someone asked about Brian Little and it as apparently been reported in the Guardian that he as been muted as a possible director of football.

How would people feel about Brian Little coming back and reforming the partnership with JG as coach as in 1996 the last time we won a trophy and finished in the top 4. Both worked with Kev Mac as well so could be a big role for him also.

I know they say you should never go back but could it work?

No. It wouldn't work at all.

Little, after leaving Villa in a position where relegation looked very likely, continued a downwards spiral. What's he done in football in the last 17 years to make you think he'd be a good appointment? We need somebody who knows modern day football.

Put it this way - if Little had achieved that success elsewhere, and you were offered this 'dream-team' - what would you react like then? Little may be a Villa man, but being a Villa man doesn't make you the ideal candidate, unfortunately.

You dont get to Randy lerner's position without having half a brain. Hel have advisors and everything. Hopefully none of us who are advising him cos we basically havent got a clue have we, baring we are aware of a tiny ounce of what a villa manager actually does.

We just think, (me included) - Oh Martin Jol he might be good. Cos he took Tottenham to 5th in the prem. Oh wait a minute, he also took them to the bottom as well. Oh and weve never met the bloke so we dont know what hes like, or whether he fits in with our club. Frustrating as it is, why dont we just wait and see? By that I mean - even after weve appointed the man, lets give him the chance to do the job before we start slagging him off etc

I think he must know a hell of a lot more about football now than he did 4 years back.

There's two kind of strands though, isn't there. Facts etc like you, me and most on here know - or the in and outs of running a business in the industry? I'm not saying he wouldn't have picked up anything - but enough? I guess we're finding out....

If KM is appointed manager its because he wants it, Randy wont be forcing him; so all this talk now that it doesn't seem like he wants it is immaterial.

After the West Am game people were quite happy to have him as manager to give him a chance, with another person along side for transfers etc...

Now after one terrible performance, one that MON had as well he is suddenly not the right candidate.

Such a shame Steve Stride was allowed to leave the club.

Why? :huh:

Because he would be someone at a board level who has (had) over 20 years experience at being at a top football club, who was regularly involved in both player and manager contractual negotiations.

We need a manager with a proven record, experience in dealing with teams on a tight budget if necessary. Someone who can make changes during games. Someone who takes every game seriously. Doesn't 'rest' players after one game to be repaid with the worst defeat the club has had in years, to then do the same again a week later.

my thoughts exactly pilchard

jez if you read back a majority of people didnt want mac before he took charge of west ham game, after west ham game then a nother majority of newcastle game.

what pilchard says is exactly what i expect to happen. wait to go up against the blosers and lose and against wolves and lose then people will wnat macs head and i dont want him to go through that as he has been fantastic for the club as reserve team coach.

randy need to get someone in with a thick skull who will be able to guide us through teh tough times taht await us. does anyone actually see ashley young signing a new deal with mac as amnager i dont. does anyone see macdonald being able to attract top players too the club?

And I might add, it seems like he doesn't know what to do.

How can it seem like that?

He is searching for a new manager. It is such a big and important role that it doesn't happen overnight.

Unless you know for a fact that he is sat at home googling 'good managers' then I think that is a pretty silly remark to make.

Well, silly posts from a silly man, what would you expect? I don't know what the man is doing, I hope he is not googling.

But what ever the rumours say this is very difficult time to find a top manager. Eriksson, Southgate, Curbishley - those are all unemployed at the moment (or?) but it's hard to believe that they would present us more satisfaction result wise and performance wise than MON.

Bradley - a Premier League manager? Shaky.

Jol - wishful thinking.

Finding a top manager now would be a hard test for any chairman. Leave out Man.C.