Scientific Experiment V2#12-MON(thly) Approval Ratings

Gringo

Are you satisfied with MON as manager  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with MON as manager

• Yes - MON can take us forward
    • No - end of the road

We'd be in terrible shape if MON went.

And if he doesn't sign anyone this summer?

You have comprehended that yes, or is it just not going to happen?

If he doesn't sign anyone this summer then that would be down to randy as i can't believe for one second that MON won't want to.

Do you not get bored of always focussing on the worst case scenario only for it to never happen?

Randy would appoint a better manager, and we'd definitely be better off.
Easy.

If Randy can appoint a better manager than MOn as easy as that why has he not done so already?

Richard that is always your argument and it get boring, with regards to players, transfers, and all other things Villa. There are many variables that come into situations like this. MAYBE he has not done so already because he has loyalty to MON, etc etc, but is becoming fed up?

I would not be unhappy for us to sign nobody, and sell nobody.

I think we'd look quite good then, TBH.

Blimey, a like minded Villa fan!

I agree, but even though that would be ideal for me, I'm sure Mon will eventually sign the 2/3 targets that he is currently after.

If that happens, I predict we'll struggle to score goals again.

Randy would appoint a better manager, and we'd definitely be better off.
Easy.

If Randy can appoint a better manager than MOn as easy as that why has he not done so already?

Richard that is always your argument and it get boring, with regards to players, transfers, and all other things Villa. There are many variables that come into situations like this. MAYBE he has not done so already because he has loyalty to MON, etc etc, but is becoming fed up?

So he has loyalty to MON and is getting fed up but he's more than happy to risk his investment getting worse? He's happy to risk going backwards after all the money he has spent in the last 4 years?

If Randy was fed up with MON and thought he could easily bring in someone better right now then MON would be gone.

Randy has shown with the browns he has no problems getting rid of coaches who don't perform so lets not pretend that randy has some man crush on MON and can't bring himself to part with him.

I am intrigued to know how replacing the manager would secure an improvement over 6th place and who this mystical manager may be.

So, given that any new manager would have to sell players to raise funds ;

- Which manager do you think we could realistically expect to join us who would be an improvement over Martin ?

- What would they do differently to Martin to sell those players that we currently are struggling to sell ?

- How, given that the exact same issues facing Martin would face any new manager, would they improve on 6th place this season ?

Oh and incidentally where would you expect this mythical manager to place us this season - 1,2,3,4 or 5th and who then would we be overtaking ? Man U, Spurs, City, Chelsea or Arsenal. Given that to improve we would automatically have to finish above Liverpool and Everton as we did last season.

well, quite possibly. But i'd hope for a fitter carew, a less deployed Hesketh, a better Downing, a Milly in the centre for the whole season, and an improved Alby and Phonso, who should both get more games.

well, quite possibly. But i'd hope for a fitter carew, a less deployed Hesketh, a better Downing, a Milly in the centre for the whole season, and an improved Alby and Phonso, who should both get more games.

That is not a bad thought at all. I would still really like us to sign a player like Ireland, if we can trust Carew to be fit and Albrighton to perform then we really only need 1 player like Ireland.

RB is an issue that will need to be addressed but it is not urgent.

That is not a bad thought at all. I would still really like us to sign a player like Ireland, if we can trust Carew to be fit and Albrighton to perform then we really only need 1 player like Ireland.

RB is an issue that will need to be addressed but it is not urgent.

well, if we sold nobody and bought nobody, we'd still have L Young and Beye and Carlos for RB! :)

I am intrigued to know how replacing the manager would secure an improvement over 6th place and who this mystical manager may be.

- Which manager do you think we could realistically expect to join us who would be an improvement over Martin ?

- What would they do differently to Martin to sell those players that we currently are struggling to sell ?

- How, given that the exact same issues facing Martin would face any new manager, would they improve on 6th place this season ?

Oh and incidentally where would you expect this mythical manager to place us this season - 1,2,3,4 or 5th and who then would we be overtaking ? Man U, Spurs, City, Chelsea or Arsenal. Given that to improve we would automatically have to finish above Liverpool and Everton as we did last season.

You don't expect people to think before they make ridiculous claims do you?

Well, Martin Jol was all set to join Fulham. I'd have him instead of O'Neill like a shot.

As for those players, we are struggling to sell - what the overpaid, rubbish that O'Neill has signed you mean, like Shorey, Sidwell and Heskey? Those players?

Seeing as O'Neill clearly isn't going to improve us beyond being the new Leciester City, I'd give a new bloke fair chance to ship out the crap that O'Neill has accumulated, get some decent players in with whatever money is left after O'Neill has blown the budget, and above all, get us playing the sort of football that doesn't belong at Plough Lane.

I keep reading about our style of football being a reason to get rid.

Yes we played more attractive a couple of seasons ago but now we've lost less games, done better in cup competitons and got closer to 4th spot. Changing our style has made us a lot harder to beat and got us closer to the top 4.

I thought only people wearing black and White football shirts cared more about performances than results.

Well, Martin Jol was all set to join Fulham. I'd have him instead of O'Neill like a shot.

As for those players, we are struggling to sell - what the overpaid, rubbish that O'Neill has signed you mean, like Shorey, Sidwell and Heskey? Those players?

Seeing as O'Neill clearly isn't going to improve us beyond being the new Leciester City, I'd give a new bloke fair chance to ship out the crap that O'Neill has accumulated, get some decent players in with whatever money is left after O'Neill has blown the budget, and above all, get us playing the sort of football that doesn't belong at Plough Lane.

This doesn't answer any of the questions.

Martin Jol isn't available, as Fulham found.

You don't actually explain how the new manager (whose identity remains elusive) would do better than MON at selling off the players you describe as "overpaid rubbish".

You also don't say which of Man U, Spurs, City, Chelsea or Arsenal you expect us to overhaul with this unknown new manager in place, enjoying his fair chance at shipping out players.

Yes we played more attractive a couple of seasons ago but now we've lost less games, done better in cup competitons and got closer to 4th spot. Changing our style has made us a lot harder to beat and got us closer to the top 4.

I thought only people wearing black and White football shirts cared more about performances than results.

I'm not sure anyone has said they care more about performances than results, you are really presenting a false dichotomy, you can have good football and good results. In fact you will generally find that the two go together and that those teams that are the most successful are those that play the best football.

The style of football we have played in recent seasons has taken us just about as far as it can IMO.

If it were just about results then I wouldn't bother watching the games, I would just look at the results and our table position. As it is I want to watch our games and be entertained not pained.

The club's business model is based upon sustainable growth, that ultimately relies upon maintaining and broadening our fan base, we won't do that playing unattractive football.

I think MON has forged a solid hard working and organised team, with some exciting talent mixed into the bag, over the last couple of years. That's an important foundation for a team to do well, now we have to move that on a step a play better football consistently, that will rely upon better ball possession and more guile in the team. I think there are a lot of good arguments for why this need to be the case.

I think MON could possibly do that with 3 or 4 good signings over the next few weeks, hence why I think Milner's sale could be good for the club. One very good, put fairly industrial player out, with some players with better technique and creativity coming in. Whether MON will get those type of players in and then play them in a system that allows them to flourish remains to be seen.

I think this is MON's big year at the club and indeed I think the next few weeks and whether or not he gets the right players in will determine where we go from here. One thing I don't think he can do though, is complain about lack of funds, he has had the money and the freedom to pretty much utilise it how he wants so he will have to stand by the decisions he has made. He's not had it as good as some managers, but he's had it better than most.

It's sad that I have to start this post with a disclaimer, but the following does not mean I want Martin O'Neill to go.

I don't believe that many, if anyone who would consider joing us could manage the squad we had last year to anywhere better than where it was. This year, it looks like we may start the season with one of our key men out and no one in. I think it's only fair to presume that should it stay like that, to have a similar kind of finish after a poor preseason would be a mamoth ask.

O'Neill goes about his business buying a certain type of player. He gets the best out of them where others fail, and where they would look average elsewhere.

On the opposite side, for the money he spends on these players, I think that better value could be gained on different kinds of players - but these kind of players I think wouldn't perform as well under Martin O'Neill.

I fully expect, that when O'Neill does leave, we will struggle to initally match the 'achievement' of finish sixth for some while without a squad overhaul.

Cup competitions are more about the luck of the draw. I don't think any of our performances point to us being "harder to beat", given the number of goals we shipped last season in the FA Cup.

2007/8 we lost 10 league games

2008/9 we lost 10 league games

2009/10 we lost 6 league games.

It seems that as people can't complain about points total or league position they need something to have a go at the manager about.

What teams play consistent attractive football and are dominant? Man u and Chelsea aren't always great to watch but they get the job done, arsenal are great to watch and haven't looked a threat to the title for ages.

I thought city played better football than spurs last season but spurs way was more effective.

We don't play like arsenal but we're no where near as bad as some try to make out.

Â