Scientific Experiment V2#12-MON(thly) Approval Ratings

Gringo

Are you satisfied with MON as manager  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with MON as manager

• Yes - MON can take us forward
    • No - end of the road

I keep reading about our style of football being a reason to get rid.

Yes we played more attractive a couple of seasons ago but now we've lost less games, done better in cup competitons and got closer to 4th spot. Changing our style has made us a lot harder to beat and got us closer to the top 4.

Cup competitions are more about the luck of the draw. I don't think any of our performances point to us being "harder to beat", given the number of goals we shipped last season in the FA Cup.

I think the highest ranking team we played, with the exception of Chelski and Man U, was Sunderland/Blackburn and we were probably lucky to get by the former?

So people complain about the manager when we get knocked out the first round and then the same people complain when we reach the semi final and final because the draw didn't give us plenty of premiership opposition.

You have to laugh at the stupidity of it.

He gets the best out of some players, others he doesn't.

Sidwell hasn't played as well for O'Neill as he did for Coppell for example. Milner on the other hand, has prospered.

I've liked Jimmy Milner since he came to us on loan but I don't think anyone expected him to be as succesful as last season. I really think Martin saw something and truly got the best out of him and that looks like it *might just pay dividends. Martin likes hard grafters and I think hard grafters like Milner will always come to the fore under his management.

I'm not convinced Milner would have looked so great under Appy Arry at Spurs. Of course there is no way of knowing though.

So people complain about the manager when we get knocked out the first round and then the same people complain when we reach the semi final and final because the draw didn't give us plenty of premiership opposition.

I think we should go back to ignoring each other. You've slipped back into juvenile name calling, which is the usual sign that you've lost the argument again.

O'Neill goes about his business buying a certain type of player. He gets the best out of them where others fail, and where they would look average elsewhere.

Which of our good players would look average in other sides?

If I thought it was worth trying to have a discussion with you, I would. But it's not, because I can go elsewhere to end up reading name calling.

Even the great mourinho couldn't get sidwell performing at the same level.

Which argument have I lost? The one that shows we're harder to beat or the one that shows the attitude towards our cup runs from the same people who complain when we go out early?

O'Neill goes about his business buying a certain type of player. He gets the best out of them where others fail, and where they would look average elsewhere.

If I thought it was worth trying to have a discussion with you, I would. But it's not, because I can go elsewhere to end up reading name calling.

So you can't answer it?

And I'm sure if I resorted to name calling the mods would soon delete my posts

Exactly John. The school holidays have a lot to answer for. I'll be glad when Big_John_10 reaches becomes Big_John_11 and has to go to big school.

2007/8 we lost 10 league games

2008/9 we lost 10 league games

2009/10 we lost 6 league games.

It seems that as people can't complain about points total or league position they need something to have a go at the manager about.

What teams play consistent attractive football and are dominant? Man u and Chelsea aren't always great to watch but they get the job done, arsenal are great to watch and haven't looked a threat to the title for ages.

I thought city played better football than spurs last season but spurs way was more effective.

We don't play like arsenal but we're no where near as bad as some try to make out.

We lost 8 league games last season.

09/10 Won 17 league games

08/09 Won 17 league games

07/08 Won 16 league games

There are two sides to every argument. Though we were marginally harder to beat last season (2 defeats turned into 2 draws), we aren't improving our victory tally. We're also scoring fewer goals every season.

A downward trend?

It's sad that I have to start this post with a disclaimer, but the following does not mean I want Martin O'Neill to go.

I don't believe that many, if anyone who would consider joing us could manage the squad we had last year to anywhere better than where it was. This year, it looks like we may start the season with one of our key men out and no one in. I think it's only fair to presume that should it stay like that, to have a similar kind of finish after a poor preseason would be a mamoth ask.

On the opposite side, for the money he spends on these players, I think that better value could be gained on different kinds of players - but these kind of players I think wouldn't perform as well under Martin O'Neill.

I fully expect, that when O'Neill does leave, we will struggle to initally match the 'achievement' of finish sixth for some while without a squad overhaul.

Yes I have said a few times that we are a top 6 club, with top six players bought with top six investment and a top six manager.

It is hard to move beyond that when you have all of those factors and the manager is performing about the best he can

Yes I have said a few times that we are a top 6 club, with top six players bought with top six investment and a top six manager.

It is hard to move beyond that when you have all of those factors and the manager is performing about the best he can

Well it's perfectly obvious, we are a 666 club and that's the number of the beast! What more proof do we need that the devil is amongst us? :twisted:

You've slipped back into juvenile name calling, which is the usual sign that you've lost the argument again.

I'll take the precise words of the player himself over those of a keyboard warrior if it's all the same.

:oops:

thats not complaining, its pointing out a fact.

the bit about stupidity says more about you than the person who you were directing it at.

Pointing it out as a fact and using it as a way to make negative comments about the manager.

What should MON do? Tell them to forget the draw and villa will just play whoever the best team left in is?

Its stupid to complain about not having a good cup run and then not being happy when you have a good cup run, its out of our hands who we face but its not like the best team always wins in cup matches now is it?

We'd be in terrible shape if MON went.

And if he doesn't sign anyone this summer?

You have comprehended that yes, or is it just not going to happen?

If he doesn't sign anyone, the team will be fine. We've got, IMO, the deepest defensive squad in the Prem, probably the second deepest central midfield grouping in the Prem, A top-tier keeper, two strikers who scored over 15 goals in all competitions, and one, maybe two top tier wingers. With four youngsters who will be pushing for places through the season.

Sounds like a good team to me.

Â