Scientific Experiment V2#12-MON(thly) Approval Ratings

Gringo

Are you satisfied with MON as manager  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with MON as manager

• Yes - MON can take us forward
    • No - end of the road

O'Neill has had FOUR YEARS. Are we still going to be excusing his fuckawful football in 2015 because he inherited Liam Ridgewell a long time ago?

This 'fuckawful football' has still just taken us to sixth place and two trips to Wembley. It's effective enough to have seen us beat everyone else in the Premiership in recent years, including an extremely sweet win at Old Trafford which had previously happened once in my Villa-supporting life. Bleating about an alleged lack of entertainment is just ridiculous. Let's win something first, eh?

I can't believe what a pile of miserable, unrealistic swine some of you are. We're still on an upwards trajectory despite running into a 'big 4' entrenched by years of success and Champions League money, a Spurs squad who had a massive head-start on us (and still barely scraped into fourth ahead of us), and a Manchester City empire which is effectively unrivalled in world football.

Why do some of you believe we have any right to compete against them? We don't. We're a provincial team with a dwindling budget, a limited support and minimal global appeal.

Get real. We're doing at least as well as we could realistically hope for.

This absolutely hits the nail on the head.

Some of the unrealistic expectations and baffling opinions on here are quite frankly cringe worthy and borderline pathetic.

The fact that we went from relegation fodder to qualifying for Europe each season in such a small space of time has clearly gone to people's head, and they seem to think that the next step should be achieved in the same amount of time, if not, sooner.

As Gramme said; get real.

What unrealistic expectations?

O'Neill has had FOUR YEARS. Are we still going to be excusing his fuckawful football in 2015 because he inherited Liam Ridgewell a long time ago?

This 'fuckawful football' has still just taken us to sixth place and two trips to Wembley. It's effective enough to have seen us beat everyone else in the Premiership in recent years, including an extremely sweet win at Old Trafford which had previously happened once in my Villa-supporting life. Bleating about an alleged lack of entertainment is just ridiculous. Let's win something first, eh?

I can't believe what a pile of miserable, unrealistic swine some of you are. We're still on an upwards trajectory despite running into a 'big 4' entrenched by years of success and Champions League money, a Spurs squad who had a massive head-start on us (and still barely scraped into fourth ahead of us), and a Manchester City empire which is effectively unrivalled in world football.

Why do some of you believe we have any right to compete against them? We don't. We're a provincial team with a dwindling budget, a limited support and minimal global appeal.

Get real. We're doing at least as well as we could realistically hope for.

This absolutely hits the nail on the head.

Some of the unrealistic expectations and baffling opinions on here are quite frankly cringe worthy and borderline pathetic.

The fact that we went from relegation fodder to qualifying for Europe each season in such a small space of time has clearly gone to people's head, and they seem to think that the next step should be achieved in the same amount of time, if not, sooner.

As Gramme said; get real.

What unrealistic expectations?

Trying to raise ourselves from being the best of the also rans, i think :oops:

Having said what i said above, i still think Oniel deserves our support. I dont like the way he goes around things at times, but like the poster said.....from relegation fodder to where we are now?

I would of snapped their hands off when told that would happen 4 years ago!

I understand Randies wish to reduce the wage bill, but i think we only three players away from having a decent side. One more push Randy..... please!

Let's do away with playing football matches then, and just arrange the league table according to accounting results...Spurs haven't spent as much as Liverpool or Man City, but finished above both of them.

Redknapp did a great job last season, but let's not kid ourselves Spurs had a much better squad than us last season and have been operating on a different financial basis for a while.

We're not on a level with Spurs and Man City financially. That's a cold, hard fact unfortunately. That's not anybody's fault, but neither should it be used as a stick to beat O'Neill with.

We're more comparable with Everton. It's a realistic comparison and one that paints us favourably, but one that doesn't suit because we want to be competing higher than Everton.

O'Neill has also served up the dreariest excuse for football in the top 8. He's also wasted vast amounts of money on some truly hopeless players, making it almost impossible for whoever who follows him to do any better. His transfer record is little better than 50% good, 50% bad. You can't afford a stinker for every decent player you bring in.

This is all terribly subjective and does not constitute a good reason to sack the manager.

First things last...

He's supposed to be an excellent manager. Excellent managers are supposed to be able to achieve great things. For us, this would mean finishing top 4. Difficult? Yes. Impossible? No.

He's a good manager and he's performing as a good manager should.

An excellent manager may be able to take us from where we are into the top four within a few seasons, however, how many truly excellent managers are out there at the moment, and how many of them would be interested in being Villa manager?

Essentially you're saying MON is not massively exceeding expectation at Villa, and therefore should be sacked. You're then making a huge gamble in expecting someone of a similar, if not higher calibre to come in and work miracles and get us into the top 4. What if they don't succeed in 3 seasons...?

A thoughtful and intelligent post.

Best delete it from this thread, then.

Let's do away with playing football matches then, and just arrange the league table according to accounting results...Spurs haven't spent as much as Liverpool or Man City, but finished above both of them.

Redknapp did a great job last season, but let's not kid ourselves Spurs had a much better squad than us last season and have been operating on a different financial basis for a while.

We're not on a level with Spurs and Man City financially. That's a cold, hard fact unfortunately. That's not anybody's fault, but neither should it be used as a stick to beat O'Neill with.

We're more comparable with Everton. It's a realistic comparison and one that paints us favourably, but one that doesn't suit because we want to be competing higher than Everton.

O'Neill has also served up the dreariest excuse for football in the top 8. He's also wasted vast amounts of money on some truly hopeless players, making it almost impossible for whoever who follows him to do any better. His transfer record is little better than 50% good, 50% bad. You can't afford a stinker for every decent player you bring in.

This is all terribly subjective and does not constitute a good reason to sack the manager.

First things last...

He's supposed to be an excellent manager. Excellent managers are supposed to be able to achieve great things. For us, this would mean finishing top 4. Difficult? Yes. Impossible? No.

An excellent manager may be able to take us from where we are into the top four within a few seasons, however, how many truly excellent managers are out there at the moment, and how many of them would be interested in being Villa manager?

Essentially you're saying MON is not massively exceeding expectation at Villa, and therefore should be sacked. You're then making a huge gamble in expecting someone of a similar, if not higher calibre to come in and work miracles and get us into the top 4. What if they don't succeed in 3 seasons...?

Hadn't noticed that post. What was said is very much an 'Amen to that brother'

I think much of it comes down to how much money Lerner is willing to spend.

It's become obvious that Lerner is not the money faucet we may have been hoping for.

That said, MON has made some piss poor buys, from Maloney to Salifou to Harewood to Heskey, to players that COULD succeed, but were thwarted by him, like Luke Young or Habib Beye.

With MON at the helm, and modest expenditure from Lerner, Villa will continue to finish around 6th place with the odd deep cup run.

I think if Villa really have designs on the Champions League, Lerner will have to open his wallet more, and bring in a manager with a continental mentality.

O'Neill is too parochial in his outlook, tactics and methods....I might be wrong, but that's my feeling.

I like him, and I want to give him more time. But 6th place every year is not what we are really striving for as supporters and the club itself would be looking for more than that.

First things last...

Yours will be OK to leave up then Peter.

Lol. the funniest thing about everyone saying "from relegation fodder to top 6" is. Even DOL used to have us in the top 6, and we used to play better football, and he did this with almost NO money. Eventually we couldnt even pay for cofee, or physiotherapists etc and these managers had to deal with this. yet people talk about MON as if he is some supehero who saved the club from the arch nemesis DOL. If John Gregory or DOL had the resources MON has had we would still be doing better, the real saviour was RANDY LERNER, NOT MON, get off his C*ck. there are other managers out there who could have and would have done a better job for us, yes, admittedley, MOn has made the odd masterstroke in setting us off on the ascendancy, Ashley Young, Delph etc, but I still see him as a very limited manager who can't go much further unless he has a HUGE transfer budget and and spunk at least 30-50 percent of it on shite, pulling off the occassional masterstroke.

Lol. the funniest thing about everyone saying "from relegation fodder to top 6" is. Even DOL used to have us in the top 6, and we used to play better football, and he did this with almost NO money. Eventually we couldnt even pay for cofee, or physiotherapists etc and these managers had to deal with this. yet people talk about MON as if he is some supehero who saved the club from the arch nemesis DOL. If John Gregory or DOL had the resources MON has had we would still be doing better, the real saviour was RANDY LERNER, NOT MON, get off his C*ck. there are other managers out there who could have and would have done a better job for us, yes, admittedley, MOn has made the odd masterstroke in setting us off on the ascendancy, Ashley Young, Delph etc, but I still see him as a very limited manager who can't go much further unless he has a HUGE transfer budget and and spunk at least 30-50 percent of it on shite, pulling off the occassional masterstroke.

30 - 50% on shite is probably better than Ferguson's return and a hundred times better than Benitez's. A gauge of a successful manager? Probably not.

Pretty much the rest of your argument is un-measureable. I personally still enjoy MON's style of football more than DOL's... at the very worst it has more potential than the previous 6 managers as we have had patches of really entertaining football. I would also say that should MON of been in charge in the Gregory era then there is a very good chance he could of gone further than Gregory (remember MON's Leicester City outwitted Gregory's Villa team every single time. Hell, we won about 1 game against MON in about 20 attempts!). You have to remember that was back in the day when there were no sugar-daddies - perhaps 6th place today is the equivilent of 2nd place back then? (It's a rhetorical question... do not answer). To try and measure the past with the present is uncomparible and fundamentally flawed.

Also, your coffee, physiotherapists etc comments are all from DOL. Try and understand the source. He knew he was on his way out and would do anything to protect his dwindling reputation. I think the whole football world understands that he doesn't really know what he is talking about hence his lack of job opportunities after his sacking... and that includes pundit roles. No one believes a word he says...

No manager has ever gone 6 games in a row of beating Birmingham. MON has done this for us. DOL nearly gave that record to Birmingham!!

Has DOL been hanging around in Jamica since his forced retirement from football? Are you DOL?

its funny how whenever say, a small heath fan laughs at villa fans and says we all live in the past we all jump over him (metaphorically!) but its 90% of what this post is talking about!

mon has done ok - agreed, now lets stop talking about it as it is irrelevant.

what does the future hold? can mon take this club further? does he appear to have a strategy of evolving the team in the way say wenger does? is he in control of the destiny of his current squad?

for me the answers are decline, no, no and no.

its funny how whenever say, a small heath fan laughs at villa fans and says we all live in the past we all jump over him (metaphorically!) but its 90% of what this post is talking about!

what does the future hold? can mon take this club further? does he appear to have a strategy of evolving the team in the way say wenger does? is he in control of the destiny of his current squad?

How odd, you appear to be saying that football managers should be judged on the future alone? Can you explain to me how that works?

And if we're in decline, you come we keep getting more points season on season with (imo of course) increased competition in our section of the league. If that is indeed decline then I think we should decline some more

It is also funny how say, a small heath fan will laugh at us and call us fickle which 90% of us will deny. Possibly even yourself? However, your post is against MON in every sense, and your signature is pro MON in every sense. Fickle indeed some of us are... perhaps without even realising it.

How would Ferguson do with Villa? It is difficult to say, but there is a chance he wouldn't get us into Champions League given the resources of other teams. Let's accept the facts... 5th place is our Premiership title. 6th place is a runners up position. Only Mourinho gets sacked for finishing runners up and Chelsea will know better than most what a huge mistake that was.

30 - 50% on shite is probably better than Ferguson's return

Absolutely no way that's true.

2003 - 2006:

David Bellion - FAIL

Eric Djemba-Djemba - FAIL

Tim Howard - FAIL

Cristiano Ronaldo - SUCCESS

Kleberson - FAIL

Louis Saha - SUCCESS

Alan Smith - FAIL

Gabriel Heinze - SUCCESS

Wayne Rooney - SUCCESS

Edwin van der Sar - SUCCESS

Park Ji-Sung - ?

John Obi Mikel - FAIL

Nemanja Vidic - SUCCESS

Patrice Evra - SUCCESS

Michael Carrick - SUCCESS

Tomasz Kuszczak - FAIL

Perhaps a slight over-exageration but I had to use the figures given in the previous posters post. Although it isn't horrundous amounts of failures, it is probably easily over 30% and not as good as most people remember. Especially when you consider the amount of money spent on a lot of these players. I put Howard down as a failure as they shipped him out... turned out to be excellent but in Fergusons era I feel it should be deemed as a failure.

I'd put Saha down as a fail too. Great player, injured far too much though.

Anderson more recently too. No doubt he has the potential, but he's really not shown it anywhere near enough to justify spending nearly £20m on him.

2003 - 2006:

David Bellion - FAIL

Tim Howard - FAIL

Kleberson - FAIL

Louis Saha - SUCCESS

Alan Smith - FAIL

Gabriel Heinze - SUCCESS

Wayne Rooney - SUCCESS

Park Ji-Sung - ?

John Obi Mikel - FAIL

Nemanja Vidic - SUCCESS

Patrice Evra - SUCCESS

Tomasz Kuszczak - FAIL

Perhaps a slight over-exageration but I had to use the figures given in the previous posters post. Although it isn't horrundous amounts of failures, it is probably easily over 30% and not as good as most people remember. Especially when you consider the amount of money spent on a lot of these players. I put Howard down as a failure as they shipped him out... turned out to be excellent but in Fergusons era I feel it should be deemed as a failure.

What a truly desperate post. Why stop at 2006 for a start? As for Mikel, he never actually really signed for Man U did, he, and certainly never played a game. Park Ji-Sung has obviously been a success as well. Tomasz Kuszczak was signed as a back up player for about £2m, and as he's still there as a back up player, how is that in anyway a failure?

Even if Ferguson has bought players that haven't turned out to as well as hoped, a) he normally already has a player in that position who is just as good, B) he's not working under the financial constraints that O'Neill is, c) it hasn't stopped him winning things, and d) it hasn't stopped him from signing other players.

None of those true are for O'Neill.

2003 - 2006:

David Bellion - FAIL

Tim Howard - FAIL

Kleberson - FAIL

Louis Saha - SUCCESS

Alan Smith - FAIL

Gabriel Heinze - SUCCESS

Wayne Rooney - SUCCESS

Park Ji-Sung - ?

John Obi Mikel - FAIL

Nemanja Vidic - SUCCESS

Patrice Evra - SUCCESS

Tomasz Kuszczak - FAIL

What a truly desperate post. Why stop at 2006 for a start? As for Mikel, he never actually really signed for Man U did, he, and certainly never played a game. Park Ji-Sung has obviously been a success as well. Tomasz Kuszczak was signed as a back up player for about £2m, and as he's still there as a back up player, how is that in anyway a failure?

Even if Ferguson has bought players that haven't turned out to as well as hoped, a) he normally already has a player in that position who is just as good, B) he's not working under the financial constraints that O'Neill is, c) it hasn't stopped him winning things, and d) it hasn't stopped him from signing other players.

None of those true are for O'Neill.

I stopped at 2006 becuase MON has been here 4 years and the website I took the stats from only had upto 2006. :)

I don't really understand the point you are trying to make. My point is, that every manager buys rubbish from time to time and MON is no different and is certainly no worse than the top managers in the success of purchases department. End of debate.

How odd, you appear to be saying that football managers should be judged on the future alone? Can you explain to me how that works?

And if we're in decline, you come we keep getting more points season on season with (imo of course) increased competition in our section of the league. If that is indeed decline then I think we should decline some more

so where does the continuing arguments about dol fit into that then? why does the fact mon took a team that had finished 6th and then 16th prior to his arrival and got them to finish er... 6th again mean that four years later he is the man to take us higher up the league.

i didnt say mon should be judged on the future because that is well - you're just posting for effect really arent you? i said lets agree that he has done up to now a decent job - because he has, but what he achieved in the last four seasons wont give us any more points this coming season. if he doesnt sign a single new player but reduces the squad by a few bodies probably will.

i also didnt say we are IN decline - i said in my opinion the answer to the question "what does the future hold?" is decline - not exactly the same is it?

i dont believe he has any squad building strategy, i dont believe he has this summers transfer activity under control and therefore i dont think he is in a position to take us any further.

your reply wasnt actually a reply to what i wrote...

so where does the continuing arguments about dol fit into that then? why does the fact mon took a team that had finished 6th and then 16th prior to his arrival and got them to finish er... 6th again mean that four years later he is the man to take us higher up the league.

i didnt say mon should be judged on the future because that is well - you're just posting for effect really arent you? i said lets agree that he has done up to now a decent job - because he has, but what he achieved in the last four seasons wont give us any more points this coming season. if he doesnt sign a single new player but reduces the squad by a few bodies probably will.

i also didnt say we are IN decline - i said in my opinion the answer to the question "what does the future hold?" is decline - not exactly the same is it?

i dont believe he has any squad building strategy, i dont believe he has this summers transfer activity under control and therefore i dont think he is in a position to take us any further.

your reply wasnt actually a reply to what i wrote...

So is it in MON we trust or do not trust? If it is not, then can you change your signature and advise when your mind changed as I don't see many failures in MON when it comes to someone being a custodian of our football club - which is what you are basing your argument on. Tactically, yes I see flaws but not in our future potential.

Â