Scientific Experiment V2#12-MON(thly) Approval Ratings

Gringo

Are you satisfied with MON as manager  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with MON as manager

• Yes - MON can take us forward
    • No - end of the road

Apologies for replying without having read the entire thread but I am at work so time is tight.

I voted that he is absolutely the right man for the job.

He has progressed us each season he has been in charge. It may be slow progression after the initial jump up the table but anyone expecting large jumps once your in the top six would in my mind be too optimistic.

We are competative with the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Man City, Everton. I am content.

Doesn't do everything exactly to my preference but then again neither does the Mrs and I married her.

Given his record with us so far I think anyone shouting for him to go has a serious case of grass is greener.

In a slight Irish accent while adjusting glasses - "I think he suits Villa at this moment in time very well indeed."

Not that nonsense again.

Barry, Laursen, Mellberg were all top class players.

Cahill, Ridgewell and Gabby were all promising youngsters.

Davis, Delaney, Sorensen, Bouma, Berger and Baros were all good enough for a team looking to finish in the top half of the table.

You can also argue that a lot of the replacements hardly showed themselves to be mmuch of an improvement, eg

Davis - Sidwell

Cahill - Knight

Ridgewell - Davies

Sorensen - Carson

That's a massively subjective view of that squad. I personally disagree with almost all of it. You're (IMO) particularly generous towards Ridgewell, Davis, Berger (by that stage in his career), Baros (ditto), Sorensen (ditto), and Delaney was already crocked as far as I remember.

You're arguably quite selective in your choice of replacements too.

It's certainly not 'nonsense' at least.

The squad didn't need "99% replacing" that much was total nonsense.

As for your analsysis of the players, Ridgwell has just played a key part in a Blues defence that did particularly well last season, Davis has prospered at Rangers, Sorensen has been in good form at Stoke etc. I wouldn't necessarily want any of them back, but nor did they need instantly replacing.

However he couldn't play that team could he ?

Barry wanted to leave - left = HAD TO REPLACE

Laursen he played until he had to retire through uinjury = HAD TO REPLACE

Mellberg wanted to leave - left = HAD TO REPLACE

Cahill - MISTAKE imo.

Ridgewell - Shit imo

Gabby - STILL PLAYS REGULARLY

Davis - Shit imo. Didn't exactly set Fulham alight. Plays in a Mickey Mouse League now.

Delaney - Retired through injury = HAD TO REPLACE

Sorensen - Shit imo

Bouma he played until crocked = HAD TO REPLACE

Berger - Shit by that time and at the end of his career - HAD TO REPLACE

Baros - Shit for us. (You wouldn't have swapped for Carew ??)

Out of that lot then I reckon the only mistake he made was gettign rid of Cahill but that topics bin Dunne a million times.

He replaced over time mostly because he had to 100% replace the player at that particular point in time.

All of those have been replaced over the last four years. The squad at the time wasn't one of the worst three in the country, and most of the players had finished in the top 6 a couple of years earlier.

If he thought that the level of spend would ensure CL qualification then I would respectfully suggest he hasn't a clue of what it takes to compete at the top end of the table

But have we not been 'competing'? We were in the top 4 for much of 2008/09 until the infamous implosion, and last season we were only 6 points off 4th, so we have not been a million miles away - as I believe your comment above suggests.

However, O'Neill has been given decent funding three summers running now and he still hasn't been able to rectify our home form. I believe we finished 12th in the home league table last season, and 10th the season before that. If he'd even managed to provide top-6 home form we'd have been in one hell of a strong position for CL qualification.

I don't think Lerner's funding is the real issue here.

He stays, for now.

But I'm more than happy to take money off anyone who is so utterly convinced that he is so good for us and we are in such good shape that he'll still be here in 12 months time.

I reckon this will be his last season one way or another.

- He delivers a measure of success, be that top 5 (4th is highly unlikely), an extended run in Europe or a cup win = he goes. But it will be his choice.

-We have a solid season, finish 6-8th = he goes. The relationship will have ran it's course and he'll leave saying he can't take us any further in the current climate.

-We have a shocker, a really bad run either early into the campaign or around Christmas = he goes. A mutual consent scenario, but we all know what that translates as.

We'd improve substantially if O'Neill left.

We'd have no manager and no chance of getting one in of the same standard or better before the season started. I'd say we'd definitely be worse off.

Randy would appoint a better manager, and we'd definitely be better off.
Easy.

If Randy can appoint a better manager than MOn as easy as that why has he not done so already?

I think there is always a trade off with Mon. At the moment the media still love him so he has a definite value to Villa in terms of our profile and coverage.

The other side of the equation is whether we get good enough results and put bums on seats. Regular 6th place finishes suggest that we are just about where we should be.

So the only possible current area for concern imo (apart from wages) is the entertainment factor. We wont attract sell out crowds at Villa Park to watch our current method of getting through 90 minutes. We will still sell out against the top teams because they have the big names and usually play the kind of football that we want to see.

So as far as I'm concerned Mon still has a plus rating in most areas but definitely needs to make changes to the type of football we play at Villa Park.

How about rolling the ball out to the full backs so that we can keep possession instead of hoofing it 60 yards up to the big man which gives the ball away far too much. How about playing a quick pass and move game through that beautiful unmarked area of grass that other teams call central midfield! Just a couple of suggestions to Mon in order to make my visits to VP more enjoyable.

We'd be in terrible shape if MON went.

And if he doesn't sign anyone this summer?

You have comprehended that yes, or is it just not going to happen?

And what if his mind gets taken over by pixies. Or is that just not going to happen?

MON's relationship with the media is a funny one really. He's still hailed as a great manager despite his blindingly obvious faults that are there for any clued-up Villa fan (not saying he's awful, but the consensus acknowledge that he is very old-fashioned, tactically rigid and stubborn). It infuriates me when our fans are slated for even daring to criticise the great Martin during games. The amount of insults aimed at us as fans by the media for booing against Wigan, although it's counter-productive, was pathetic when there were glaring negative factors that needed to be addressed.

A lot of journos watch Villa once every three months and some of their research is poor at best, and thus this image of O'Neill being a great manager is kept. He'll be found out this season I feel if we go on a bad run. He's not a bad manager, just an incredibly over-rated one.

Â