Barry Bannan

villianusa

Totally agree, while we've got MCLeish we need to buy into his brand of "football"

Why? we don't have to accept anything.

just as we had to endure that ineffective tippy tappy bollocks under GED'y

You mean passing the ball? something Villa fans have no patience for.

"involved in over 70% of our goals"

Hilarious statement

Last time I looked he had 1 goal (a penalty!) & 2 assists

If he did that in about 4 and a bit games than I guess he'd be right.

Which was the case in his short-lived strech of about 5 games or so starts in a row in Oct/Nov before the incident.

You mean passing the ball? something Villa fans have no patience for.

Dont get confused You mean, Tippy Tappy 3 yard square balls on the halfway line. God I miss GED's vision

As I said Villa fans (like yourself) have no patience.. players and fans are alike they both are clueless when their team is in possession, fans think it's tippy tappy naff stuff (alien to most) and players would rather play at 100mph+ all the time or just have the mentality to play as a counter attacking team without the players to do so.

Things need to change i'm afraid and McLeish is not the man to do that.

Give me tippy tappy if it means we hold on to the ball instead of chasing it like headless chickens.

• 2 weeks later...

Played well again when he came on - said a while ago and I would like to see him in this team.

I know it would be a risk defensively but I would play instead of Clark who is too slow of mind to play in midfield.

With Bannan, Ireland, Keane, Petrov, NZog I think we could start to boss teams possession wise which might override the drop we would have defensively by having the wee man in place of Clark.

imaginative but he is not a sub.

i heard merson talkin about arshavin the other day and he says it takes him a good half hour to get involved when he starts, i think bannan has the same sort of problem

I don't think we can judge ANY of our players' long-term quality at the moment. So much is wrong at the club, both on and off the field.

I believe that with a different manager and tactical approach (not to mention some refreshing of the squad), we would see some of our current players develop in entirely different ways.

Bannan's potential ability is not being well managed at the moment.

I believe he has the potential to become a good player for the club.

There is quite a few things "I've" noticed about him that i find appealing. Please correct me if I'm wrong or you disagree with my "I'm a scout dribble". (I have the tendency to remember the youtube moments and not the average ones)

My 2 cents on Bannan:

1. Always seems to have a passing option in mind before he receives the ball(more or less).

2.Good at moving with the ball at his feet(at a slow tempo).

Noticed him trotting around with the ball at his feet while 2-3 players try to close him down without giving away possession.

3. Good at switching play, and finding players when others would have passed back to defense.

4. Good first touch and short passes.

5. When it comes to the hollywood pass I agree that he tries it a bit to often. The timing of his release and the reaction of others players seems to be a bit off at times. But I believe that this is something that will improve with experience. More experience will also improve his decision making.

I'd rather see Bannan dropping deep to get the ball from defense and try a Hollywood pass that has a chance of an end product then Collins hoofing it over the sidelines.

6. His movement seems decent in around the midfield when we have possession, but a bit lacking when going forward.

7. Defensively he doesn't add much even though he tries hard.

(Sorry for messy post, poor grammar etc. I've been awake for 30 hours)

He's a luxury we cant afford

Our midfield is too lightweight as it is

Will never get ahead of Ireland in the side if he's on form

Get rid in the summer and use the money to sign an enforcer/ball winner in the middle of the pitch that we desperately need use the fee to pay Diame's wages he's available on a free from wigan

Skruff,

You have made some good points regarding Bannan's abilities and limitations. The structure and grammar of your post is good and compares favourably with many.

I haven't seen enough yet from Bannan to indicate he should be a regular starter for us, but at a time when we need to be clever with our wage structure, surely the likes of Bannan are great as squad players? If Bannan has a few good games for us or Scotland and another club takes a shine to him then perhaps we should consider a decent offer for him (£5m?). It probably won't happen like that, but I'll trust that decision to whoever is our manager at the time (they'll have closer knowledge of the player than any of us hindsighters/guessers :winkold: ). Until then, keep him in the squad on a relatively reasonable wage for a season or two; if he develops, great; if not, take the money.

Am a big fan of Bannan and I thought he made a difference when he came on against QPR. However, I do think he's trying far too hard to impress during the brief spells he is on the pitch for, hence the endless 'hollywood passes'. Gardner looks the better option at the moment.

I'd agree, he is one player who is never afraid of recieving the ball and always wants it. Our squad has got too many players who are afraid to recieve the ball in certain positions and dont wanna show for it, especially when were a goal down. This is probably why the defenders resort the hoofing it.

good to see that he asked to play for the reserves yesterday too.

Bannan is one of our most technically gifted players - keeps the ball well, has good vision and has a sweet left foot (witness the cross into Gary Gardner against Newcastle)

The problem is that he is very small and lightweight however players like Silva or Mata have overcome this.

I also think he needs to work harder on and off the pitch to become a better professional. I'm not sure he's dedicated enough for what it takes to become a Prem player.