Barry Bannan

villianusa

It is narrow, granted.

I just don't think that we have anyone capable of playing wide at the moment. NZogbia and Albrighton have both been far too poor to warrant starting, so we're left with few options unfortunately. I dont think getting the ball out wide really forms part of McLeish's game plan either to be honest, and the above formation seems like the best way of getting our best performers into the side.

That said, I expect Heskey and 4231 to return.

I like it, Bannan has the ability to play on the wing, if not as a winger. I can see McLeish using the wings as an outlet, but only to link up with the central midfielders to build attacks.

Like you say, our wingers aren't firing at the moment so most chances down the flanks go wasted.

It seemed to work well under Oneill, IIRC we played this formation when we beat Small Heath 5-1, though we don't have an Ashley Young on our books.

From my point of view, if we go into the game with Albrighton, NZogbia or Delph in the starting line up then we're basically putting ourselves at a disadvantage before a ball has even been kicked (less so Delph). Would actually rather see Weimann, Herd & Heskey get a look in.

I think it could work BUT we would definitely need our full backs to press on and this, in turn, needs a very solid DCM (as Busquets does for Barca when he almost becomes a third CB). Howabout:

-------------------- Given ---------------------

Hutton ---- Cuellar --- Dunne ---- Warnock

-------------------- Clark ---------------------

----- Bannan ---------------- Delph ---------

------------------- SI/Zog --------------------

------------ Bent ---------- Gab --------------

Gives us a proper DCM and energy/ball playing in front of him with Delph and Bannan and three attackers.

I think it could work BUT we would definitely need our full backs to press on and this, in turn, needs a very solid DCM (as Busquets does for Barca when he almost becomes a third CB). Howabout:

Gives us a proper DCM and energy/ball playing in front of him with Delph and Bannan and three attackers.

I do like the idea of Clark as the DCM. As I recall he did a good job in that role against Man U last season. He has the stopping attributes of a CB but he has better ball skills than most CBs so that role could be where he plays for Villa long term, IMO of course.

Would love to see this against Wigan.

---Gabby-----Bent------N'Zogbia---

-------Ireland-------Bannan-------

---------------Jenas----------------

Some of the interplay between Bannan and Ireland was excellent against QPR, and I think Ireland deserves another start.

Surely the last thing you want is Jenas playing as the holding midfielder?

He's an energetic box to box type that can score goals. It'd be mental to lock him down when we have the likes of lead legs Petrov who can (well, not really) do that 'job'

The thing is, if he's allowed to sit there and do nothing else, Petrov does a great job of this. It was playing in this position that earned him the fans player of the year award. Granted, he has aged a bit since then, but I still think he'd be our best option.

The thing is, if he's allowed to sit there and do nothing else, Petrov does a great job of this. It was playing in this position that earned him the fans player of the year award. Granted, he has aged a bit since then, but I still think he'd be our best option.

He could do a job but I personally feel he lacks energy/an engine which is why we can't really press opposition teams when they have possession. The other benefit of having Clark in there is that we get another aerial threat/defender on set pieces which we lose in a team without a Carew or Heskey in the side.

The experience and captaicy of Petrov behind the youth and developing ability of Bannan seems like a worthwhile combination to me. Heskey in for the headers, knock ons and holding, as well as his tackling. Real workhorse (some here call it donkey), but does trouble defenders well. Bannan looks a treat.

He could do a job but I personally feel he lacks energy/an engine which is why we can't really press opposition teams when they have possession. The other benefit of having Clark in there is that we get another aerial threat/defender on set pieces which we lose in a team without a Carew or Heskey in the side.

Don't entirely disagree, though something tells me that McLeish perhaps isnt as big a fan of Clark. He has been out through injury at times this season, but I get the impression that McLeish doesnt want to play too many youngseters at one time.

I hope i'm wrong though, because along with Bannan, I see him as our best youth player.

Don't entirely disagree, though something tells me that McLeish perhaps isnt as big a fan of Clark. He has been out through injury at times this season, but I get the impression that McLeish doesnt want to play too many youngseters at one time.

I hope i'm wrong though, because along with Bannan, I see him as our best youth player.

Outside Wenger, I don't see many managers playing kids. The problem is that kids lack experience and require development - something that can be a difficult job for a manager when he is judged purely on results.

Houllier blooded a lot of the kids last season, but only because he had to due to injuries. When things got tough he opted for experience.

Things aren't fantastic at the moment (though it could be worse) so I can't see McLeish blooding many youngsters any time soon.

Outside Wenger, I don't see many managers playing kids. The problem is that kids lack experience and require development - something that can be a difficult job for a manager when he is judged purely on results.

Are you Alan Hansen?

Look at Fergie's signings - Jones and De Gea - his bringing through of the de Silva brothers, Cleverly, Wellbeck, Hernandes, Smalling the year before. A fair spattering of youth there?

Shame that he'll be dropped for Heskey this weekend

I agree Bannan shouldnt be dropped but

With Heskey: 1 goal conceded

Without Heskey: 6 goals conceded (if you count CC)

No too ways about it - Emile Heskey is a very important player for us

That is worrying though, we shouldn't be relying on a striker to balance up the goals against column. I think perhaps the thing with Heskey is that because we're playing so deep he's the only person really capable of holding people off until A N Other of our players catches up with play, that said if we weren't smashing it up field it wouldn't be a problem.

That is worrying though, we shouldn't be relying on a striker to balance up the goals against column. I think perhaps the thing with Heskey is that because we're playing so deep he's the only person really capable of holding people off until A N Other of our players catches up with play, that said if we weren't smashing it up field it wouldn't be a problem.

No I agree, its far from an ideal stat but its there to be seen and imo Emile - along with an on form Petrov are our best at retaining the ball.

I actually think it might be worth taking a punt with Heskey and Bent up front. The problem with Emiles hold up play so far is that its on the half way line - so wen its laid off to a Bannan or Ireland there not in a position to get creative.

Big call to drop Gabby, but weve got to find a balance and so far we havent. Were yet to try a Bent/Heskey partnership

I think you are over egging it.

Heskey was important with the players we had / were playing at that time.

However, we can now play players in the correct positions. Petrov as the holding midfielder, Jenas as the box to box, Ireland as the link guy, with Bannan on one wing, Gabby the other, bent up top.

This will make us much much stronger, and much more potent in attack in one go.

I think its been appalling so far, I will admit, but I always said, I'd reserve judgement until AMc can put his desired team and formation out - and I think we are about to get the answer

deffo think bannan should start, i'd go with...

------jenas---petrov-----

zog-----ireland----bannan

----------bent-------------

with zog and ireland and bannan swapping all the time, maybe even gabby as one of the 3 seeing how zog has been playing...

i think ireland and bannan woudl benefit from the freedom of being in a fluid 3 and bent would deffo get more service.

Few points for consideration...

•Bannan's showing promise, we don't wanna drop him.

•Ireland's starting to show glimpses of quality, we probably don't wanna drop him.

•Agbonlahor's recapturing his better form, we definitely don't wanna drop him.

•When Heskey plays he has a positive impact on the team and will ideally reduce the amount of long-balls from the back that go straight to the opposition, ergo we probably want to re-introduce him when available.

•Bent desperately needs a goal, but we know for a fact that once he starts scoring he won't stop so ideally we don't wanna drop him.

•Both our natural wingers N'Zogbia and Albrighton are going through a poor spell, as such our offensive potency from the flanks is sorely lacking.

Whilst our width is posing little threat in addition to the majority of our distribution from defence consisting of lofted balls to the front, would the logical course of action not be to narrow our field of play completely?

Few points for consideration...

•Bannan's showing promise, we don't wanna drop him.

•Ireland's starting to show glimpses of quality, we probably don't wanna drop him.

•Agbonlahor's recapturing his better form, we definitely don't wanna drop him.

•When Heskey plays he has a positive impact on the team and will ideally reduce the amount of long-balls from the back that go straight to the opposition, ergo we probably want to re-introduce him when available.

•Bent desperately needs a goal, but we know for a fact that once he starts scoring he won't stop so ideally we don't wanna drop him.

•Both our natural wingers N'Zogbia and Albrighton are going through a poor spell, as such our offensive potency from the flanks is sorely lacking.

Whilst our width is posing little threat in addition to the majority of our distribution from defence consisting of lofted balls to the front, would the logical course of action not be to narrow our field of play completely?

As long as we can get our full backs overlapping then definitely. Although not sure about Ireland ...

Probably use Jenas, Petrov, Bannan, Gabby, Heskey, Bent if everyone is fit. Warnock overlapped really well in the second half vs QPR, If we are too play narrow, that's the key.