Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Young gave us another season and never kicked up a fuss, not a jot. Hope he does really well at United.

Downing, well... I don't know whether I'm fuming about this one or the Barry saga more.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see that things are going bad to worse, A Young gone, Friedel gone, Downing gone, Reo-coker gone,

In Peter Grant wtf, Dr ian McGuiness wtf, no goalkeeper, a striker in Bent who is thinking, mmm wait a minute maybe i need to spk to my agent, no supply, we do this every year now, it's a fiasco

Barry, Milner, Young, Friedel, Downing, Reo-coker, can't wait for us to waste money on Given and McGeady.

RL sell up and go back over the pond and f**k up those Browns as usual.

Go support Liverpool then.

I don't really see the logical step in your argument?

Do you comprehend that Liverpool has been shit for the past two seasons? What did they win? Where did they end up on the table? But still, you think they are a better club than Villa... Go figure....

Wow, I already regret responding to your comment.

Firstly, they have finished above us for both of those seasons.

Secondly, we didn't win anything either.

I never personally stated that Liverpool are a better club that Villa, so 'go figure'.

In addition, I and many other people on this forum, support Villa, not because of how good we are or how much we win, but because they are MY team, my local team, the team I've always supported.

Some people need to get their heads out of the clouds. We will be lucky to get in one quality winger. If we somehow manage to get one in then I would happily take SWP or McGeady as back-up to the new winger and Albrighton...

I would take Mcgeady as a squad player, I have just watched a video of him from this season in Russia where it where it seems like it's the norm for defenders to go in with tackles that you could end up in prison with. And IMHO if we were watching it being some player called magerkov doing the shit he's doing it would be creamed knickers o'clock

Its not a fair point - the fact is we are selling our 'best' players to clubs in the same league, crippling ourselves for 20million quid. And now we have to replace said players. How the **** are we gonna do that with the crap of last season, Mcleish who isn't renowned for his big named signings and a team who consistently does sell it's best players?!?!? No one amazing is gonna come.

It's a load of shit

Liverpool is not a better or bigger club than Villa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What did they win last season??? They are not in the Champions League!!!!!!!!!!! F U Downing!

Surely on a windup?

No, are you?

Kid, you really aint a clue on football judging by your posts. The player is making an upward step in his career to a club that are closer to challenging things, a club closer to what we are.

He has gone to join a club who have shown intent with signings they have made since January.

Liverpool are a big club, bigger than us, there fans are awful and I can't stand them, but take off your villa tinted glasses and realise villa are not the biggest club in the country and are some way of it. Anyway, must be past your bed time ay

Statement on OS about Downing...

Villa accept offer from Liverpool for winger Downing

Aston Villa have reached an agreement with Liverpool for winger Stewart Downing.

Liverpool have now been granted permission to speak with the 26-year-old England international.

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "I can confirm that we have reached an agreement with Liverpool following an improved offer received earlier today and the submission of a formal transfer request by Stewart Downing, and have subsequently given them permission to speak with the player.

"We believe there are replacements available in the market who can strengthen our squad ahead of the coming season, and we are in discussions as such.

"We are also working hard to conclude a deal for a goalkeeper who we believe can also strengthen the side.

"As soon as we have dependable, conclusive information to share then we will do so."

And there was me worrying. Thank good we have somebody as capable and knowledgeable within the game as Faulkner :oops:

I championed him when he first arrived even though he took a long time to settle. Villa were very good to him and I'm very dissapointed with the way he's left, especially the way he's treated the club - always loathed to do business with Liverpool as well with the way they go about things. 20m is a lot of money for him and Lpool have paid over the odds. Looking forward to booing him next season.

I'm generally cautiously positive about AMc, but the reality is we've lost 5 of our best regular starting players from last season (Walker Friedel NRC AYoung and now Downing). We will have no consistency to take forward with us into next season which is a major worry. I hope we've got some quality signings in the bag. We need to bring in a whole host of experinced, quality players, because apart from Bent (who is literally the only person I would rely on on the pitch at the moment) we are left with experienced yet suspect players (Dunne, Warnock, Ireland) and unproven youngsters (Delph, Albrighton, Bannan, Clark) + Makoun who's not up to speed. Everyone else is ok, but that's it.

Also, unless we have deals tied up, clubs will know we have money to burn.

I never felt we'd get relegated last season, but if things keep going badly for us - well, let's just say all the ingredients are there.

What must Bent be thinking!

Young gave us another season and never kicked up a fuss, not a jot. Hope he does really well at United.

Downing, well... I don't know whether I'm fuming about this one or the Barry saga more.

THIS THIS THIS

I really hope he rots in their reserves. Ungrateful prick!

There is one good thing to come from this ...... My ITK was 100% correct again :D:D

I believe you said the fee was agreed yesterday (or the day before) :winkold:

Close enough though, I'll let you have this one!

What is really sad is that we still have shit like Beye, Warnock, Heskey, Dunne and Ireland on our books.

That because we have no intention to strengthen. All we will see is an aging keeper with a dodgy shoulder, either SWP or AM to replace Downing.

I really do now believe that Randy has given up, and is simply reigning in his investment ready to sell.

its not so much that we are selling this particular player. though hes good i dont think he is outstanding. 7 goals and 9 assists last season isnt amazing and he has never completely dominated and single handedly won us games like barry, milner and young all did at some point.

for me its all about the message we are sending out as a club. at the moment its only negative. football is all about what you are doing for me now, and about perceptions of ambitions. yeah its great that lerner has spent big in the past, but that means nothing now. all we have seen over the last few weeks is another complete botch of a managerial search, resulting in a manager who relegated his time twice in 4 years, and the sales of two of our top players. how is that going to look to potential signings?

the other day the manager was saying downing was not for sale, now we have given in at £20 mil, which seems quite low considering recent transfers at other clubs. i have no doubt that spurs will sell modric at some point, all their not for sale talk is just to get a good price. but i know they will get a good one, because they dont give in easily and drive a hard bargain. we just look to have caved in because the player has now come out and said he wants to leave, we come across as an easy touch.

Â