The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Listen to that broad Dublin accent.

His parents are irish so he qualifies through that.

If you're gonna be a smart arse remember that England have capped players who haven't a single connection with England other than the fact that they lived and worked here. John Barnes and Tony Dorigo spring to mind, the latter was born and bred in Australia to Italian parents.

My parents were Irish and I consider myself irish as well. There's a lot more to nationality than just where you were born.

I would be against them playing for England if they were playing now.

Fair enough he is of Irish descent but he is English first and foremost.

Ireland should have some pride in their national team and stop picking Englishmen.

what like england picking michael owen? The man was from hawarden north wales! Edited by gwi1890

I'm from Birmingham, but my heritage is Irish and if I'd become a footballer I'd have most likely chosen to play for Ireland. When Ireland make it to a major competition I follow them over England, and in the six nations I back Ireland as well. Nationhood isn't about which country you're born in. I'd like to see Jack turn out for Ireland, but it's entirely up to him who he declares for.

• Like 1

If you're gonna be a smart arse remember that England have capped players who haven't a single connection with England other than the fact that they lived and worked here. John Barnes and Tony Dorigo spring to mind, the latter was born and bred in Australia to Italian parents.

My parents were Irish and I consider myself irish as well. There's a lot more to nationality than just where you were born.

:offtopic:

#claimtofame

I played in the same team as Tony Dorigo's dad

Now that was an experience, I can tell you.

Bob Dorigo now he's a character, I assume it was for Springfield back in the 90's?

Funny I recall watching him play in midfield and some young guy calling him old, he was in his late 40's. Then pissed myself laughing as he walked toward the guy only for the this guy to realise it wasn't going to end good for him so he ran away making him look a right mug lol. Mind you if he had of come at me I would have done the same haha.

It was Springfield, mate, in the mid/late 80s. I played alongside him in defence and you certainly felt a lot safer (in more ways than one) with him there.

Remember one game when the opposing striker was clean through but our keeper brought him down just outside the box. He got up to have a go at him and Bob flattened him. In the ensuing melee a few more punches were thrown, mainly by Bob. Hasten to add he got sent off, but at least he did all the fighting on the team's behalf!! Great bloke, proper character.

Sorry to hijack the Grealish thread BTW. 

Ireland should have some pride in their national team and stop picking Englishmen.

what like england picking michael owen? The man was from hawarden north wales!

Not the same sport but......the England cricket team.......plenty of south africans.....a couple of irishmen.....a barbadian.....until recently a zimbabwean and pakistani coach ?

Some great photos of him with some young fans coming out for the club

He's going to be huge here, will be interesting to see how many people get grealish on the back of their shirts next season, get him on the image rights kev!

• Like 3

Wind your neck in.

• Like 1

Grealish is an Irishman born in England.

Don't try and claim that Ireland picking him is against some sort of moral code.

Exactly.

We live in a world where we can (pretty much) move to the next town tomorrow, and another country in a week. It is a GLOBAL world now, it isn't like 200 yyears ago, with different time zones in each town!

Grealish is an Englishman of Irish descent.

Paul McGrath is an Irishman born in England.

What on Earth are you on about!?

1) God is only half Irish anyway. You could claim he's just as much Nigerian as he is Irish.

2) Jack identifies himself as Irish (AFAIK) and who are we to dismiss that?

Grealish is an Englishman of Irish descent.

Paul McGrath is an Irishman born in England.

What on Earth are you on about!?

1) God is only half Irish anyway. You could claim he's just as much Nigerian as he is Irish.

2) Jack identifies himself as Irish (AFAIK) and who are we to dismiss that?

Not really. He grew up in Ireland while he has probably never set foot in Nigeria. 

Â