The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

How do I know that we dont need to sell Jack at whatever price Man Utd want to pay?

because they dont own us. 

Not sure if you are joking with that question or not?

No, they don’t own us, they’re a bigger club than us though. If they are in for Grealish, they won’t pay over the odds, they will haggle

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Grealish has been in The Championship with Villa for 3 of those 5 years. He has sacrificed a potential move to get us back in the Premier League, I’ll always remember him fondly just for that, not just his exploits on the field for us

When did he sacrifice a move?  If you are talking about Levy, he wanted him but didnt offer anywhere near decent money so Jack has never had to choice of moving or not

Just now, nick76 said:

When did he sacrifice a move?  If you are talking about Levy, he wanted him but didnt offer anywhere near decent money so Jack has never had to choice of moving or not

I was talking hypothetically 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Have to say, that's just you.  I was shocked they paid that much for him, seemed a desperate buy at the time.

I rate him very highly, his technical ability is very good I think, Everton just haven’t found a way to use him yet. Now they have Ancelotti as manager, I think that Iwobi will come to the fore

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

When he stayed for 3 years in The Championship with us, he could’ve left at any time. He could’ve put in a transfer request but to our knowledge he didn’t 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

I was talking hypothetically 

but even hypothetically how has he sacrificed a move when no clubs were in for him and the one that did offered peanuts?

Even at the start of that 4 years your talk about the best we got was a loan offer from Leeds for Jack, which we turned down.  He then had a number of disciplinary issues off the pitch, which for a kid who was only just starting out his career wasnt going to attract buyers.   

You have to put in context, the Jack we see today compared to the Jack 3 years ago....he was a kid with a bit of talent, playing for a championship team and had off the field issues, the big clubs werent banging his door down to buy him.  He's a big star now but that has taken his exploits over the last three years and to be fair only this season has anybody really taken notice. 

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

When he stayed for 3 years in The Championship with us, he could’ve left at any time. He could’ve put in a transfer request but to our knowledge he didn’t 

as I have just said, who wouldve brought him, he wasnt the player he is today in those initial years and then Levy wanted him and we wanted £25m for him and Levy was nowhere near that.  He didnt have the options you are alluding to

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It’s a very inflated market 

Yet we sell Jack for £35m according to you.

You havent replied to my assessment and valuation yet

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

but even hypothetically how has he sacrificed a move when no clubs were in for him and the one that did offered peanuts?

Even at the start of that 4 years your talk about the best we got was a loan offer from Leeds for Jack, which we turned down.  He then had a number of disciplinary issues off the pitch, which for a kid who was only just starting out his career wasnt going to attract buyers.   

You have to put in context, the Jack we see today compared to the Jack 3 years ago....he was a kid with a bit of talent, playing for a championship team and had off the field issues, the big clubs werent banging his door down to buy him.  He's a big star now but that has taken his exploits over the last three years and to be fair only this season has anybody really taken notice. 

A bit of talent? Grealish has always had the ability to be a top player, he’s probably the most naturally talented Villa player that I have seen. I’m no club insider but I’d wager that we’ve had some offers for Grealish since he’s been in the limelight. I think that Grealish has been very highly rated by our coaches since he was a child. We as fans don’t know if there have been offers made for Grealish, there is speculation that but there is no definitive proof

Spurs initially offered £3M and Onomah for Grealish when Xia was still in charge and we were having to sell assets to keep the club going, but once we were taken over and were financially secure, they stopped messing about and offered £25m for him, and we turned that down as well, reportedly as Sawiris was adamant that he wasn't for sale at any price, and that wasn't just press speculation Grealish himself spoke about a move to Tottenham falling through in a few interviews as well.

5 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Came across quite well I thought.

Apologised again for his lock-down misdeamenour, talked very highly of the gaffer and said they have a great relationship (football/non-football), says players like McGinn and Tyrone also think highly of Dean. Sounds like he's a popular head coach.

Talking of popular, he reiterated what we've all been saying about the effect John McGinn's return might have on us and what a great bloke he is around the dressing room. His return should be massive.

Sounds like Jack's dying to get back playing and that the team is looking good in training and that the break probably came at a right time for us. I know he isnt going to say anything different but it did sound genuine.

I was hoping they were going to mention reports of a transfer to Man Utd but the final question was in relation to his hair 🙄

He was also on the football show on Sky Sports, but missed start of it, think it's repeated at 5pm. 

so..........what did he say about his hair?! come on man don't keep us in suspense!

• Haha 1

but is it really an inflated market, that seems to get said every year but the following year the next lot of players that get sold are at a higher price.

I mean that Zidane went from Juventus to Real Madrid in 2001 for almost the same price that Everton paid for Iwobi.  We paid more for Lovre Kalinic than Napoli paid for Maradona and was only just less than the price that Ruud Gullit went to AC Milan for.  When Torres who was on fire for Liverpool went to Chelsea for £50m was big but looking at the fee list there is at least 50 players that have gone for more than that value.  Each defender that Man City buy is £50m plus, they 3 left backs at one point.

I’ve just heard him say on the Talksport podcast posted a few pages back that if we didn’t get promoted last season, he didn’t know if he’d still be at Villa :( it was a very insightful interview, I’d recommend listening to it

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

A bit of talent? Grealish has always had the ability to be a top player, he’s probably the most naturally talented Villa player that I have seen. I’m no club insider but I’d wager that we’ve had some offers for Grealish since he’s been in the limelight. I think that Grealish has been very highly rated by our coaches since he was a child. We as fans don’t know if there have been offers made for Grealish, there is speculation that but there is no definitive proof

Sorry dude, you dont know what you are talking about........you seem to be all over the place from early lockdown on your lesser views on Jack, then raving about him, then dropping down again saying he's worth 35m and at the same level as Iwobi.  Then now he's the most naturally talented Villa player you've ever seen but again you only rate him at £35m, yet that wouldnt put in the top 100 fees for players ever and if he is the most talented player you've ever seen then how have we won so many trophies including the European Cup. 

How can you think he's the most naturally talented Villa player then quote 35m when I gave you a list of players at his level that have been sold in recent seasons that werent lower than 50m+

We know how the coaches rated him, we know how he played in the last couple of years, we hear about any serious bids....that's just how football is.  

Think I'm done with this discussion with you on this, it makes no sense......I respect your opinion, even though it seems to be constantly changing but it's very left field opinion.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’ve just heard him say on the Talksport podcast posted a few pages back that if we didn’t get promoted last season, he didn’t know if he’d still be at Villa :( it was a very insightful interview, I’d recommend listening to it

We all knew that, he's said it before and been written on here plenty of times.

Just now, nick76 said:

We all knew that, he's said it before and been written on here plenty of times.

From what has been said it seems clear Xia was offering him out as we needed the cash when he owned us so at that point he believed he was moving. The new owners came in and said we wont sell him and they were true to that. From things that were written at the time it also seems Grealish was sold the idea that his transfer fee would save the club so it's no surprise he talked to Tottenham when they bid. This is how it came across to me at the time and I've not read anything since that has made me think differently.

Just thought I should write it once more to try and head off the rehashing :P 

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

From what has been said it seems clear Xia was offering him out as we needed the cash when he owned us so at that point he believed he was moving. The new owners came in and said we wont sell him and they were true to that. From things that were written at the time it also seems Grealish was sold the idea that his transfer fee would save the club so it's no surprise he talked to Tottenham when they bid. This is how it came across to me at the time and I've not read anything since that has made me think differently.

Just thought I should write it once more to try and head off the rehashing :P 

Yep, agreed, that's why i was surprised it was new news to SGC.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Great, well they dont get him then......it's fairly simple.  We dont need to sell Jack at whatever price Man Utd want to pay.

We don't need to sell true, but if Jack wants a move and want to win titles Dean isn't the type of manager that will stand in his way.

Â