The New Condem Government

bickster

Do you not think the money could be better spent on something else like jobs in the NHS etc?

What money could be better spent on the NHS? A few policemen on overtime making sure that people exorcising their democratic right behave themselves is not going to solve the problems of the NHS.

Your arguments are illogical, I pity you if that really is your thought process

I see, like Labour you would prefer to criticise the ideas without giving alterntive solutions. I think you have (purposely) missed the point that I think the time and money could be better spent elsewhere (this is what "etc" means).

Its a shame moral high ground seeems to be more important than actually getting out there and trying to improve the community in someway or other. It seems a common trend, lots of "these people need help" rather than "how can I help".

May was the hottest on earth since records began. We know temperature and CO2 levels are linked. We know a warmer atmosphere has more energy, we know an atmosphere with more energy leads to more extreme weather events. We know extreme weather events kill in poor countries and cause heavy disruption in rich countries.

So if they know all this, why does the head of Green Peace commute 250 miles by plane for his job in Amsterdam?

And, why does Al Gore have a carbon footprint the size of a small town?

May was the hottest on earth since records began. We know temperature and CO2 levels are linked. We know a warmer atmosphere has more energy, we know an atmosphere with more energy leads to more extreme weather events. We know extreme weather events kill in poor countries and cause heavy disruption in rich countries.

So if they know all this, why does the head of Green Peace commute 250 miles by plane for his job in Amsterdam?

due to change.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/24/greenpeace-executive-to-commute-by-train-instead-of-plane

due to change.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/24/greenpeace-executive-to-commute-by-train-instead-of-plane

Yeah, I read that.

It's the travelling 250 miles to tell the rest of us to travel less, which is the problem, not his choice of carbon-producing conveyance. :)

"On Monday, the Guardian revealed details of the flights, which John Sauven, executive director of Greenpeace UK, defended in a blogpost. "As for Pascal’s air travel. Well it’s a really tough one. Was it the right decision to allow him to use air travel to try to balance his job with the needs of his family for a while?"

I'm sure everybody on the planet who uses too much energy has got a similar excuse.

"Easier to pick the kids up, do the shopping, get anywhere by car, innit."

• Like 1

Are you all being for real? He uses a plane/train for his work, its a necessity and he isnt doing it every day, I dont really care much for greenpeace but mock outrage is really tiresome. Should he cycle?

Are you all being for real? He uses a plane/train for his work, its a necessity and he isnt doing it every day, I dont really care much for greenpeace but mock outrage is really tiresome. Should he cycle?

The plane wasn't a necessity, that's the entire point.  And it isn't mock outrage to point out the hypocrisy of somebody who's the number one fan of all things green but who gets a plane to do the equivalent journey of Lancaster to London.

so he should cycle? tell me how he should do it, he is taking the train in the future, if that isnt ok, what should he do, its not his every day place of work, so for these meetings, tell me what he should do?

Well according to the Guardian he travels there several times a month. So how about in the Job interview they tell the applicant what they stand for and a requirement is to live nearby?

Here is a less left wing version.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/10920198/Greenpeace-executive-flies-250-miles-to-work.html

twice a month, it will drop to once a month after a team restructuring, which he will use the train for. So if lets say he moved to Netherlands due to a couple of meetings a month, would he be criticised for flying the other way for his normal work? No.

Well if he is executive director, shouldn't he be at the head office?

Probably, but sometimes its not like that and people work from home, I am not in a position to say, I dont know their set up and if the work he does is better being based at the head office, as he is only required there twice a month, I would say not. 

^^ because the "right" thing to do is expensive, inefficient, unwanted by vast swathes of the population who have to live near them all of whom vote Conservative. Stuff underground is far easier to sell to the electorate than a dirty great windmill or a field full of shiny PV cells.

The Green ideal is a very noble one, but it won't keep the lights on in 50 years time and so other alternatives need to be explored. There should absolutely be an increase in "green" energy but it is not the only answer and not solely a failing of THIS government.

what we need is for the bad guys to do us a favour and give us a proper short term jolt

We are about to lose the oil from Iraq, we've already recently lost the largest oil port in Libya (not exactly big in the news for some reason), perhaps now something will happen with Ukraine that will give madman Putin the excuse to turn off the tap and we will be in trouble. Not grumbling about petrol at £1.50 a litre trouble, proper 1970's spare candles trouble.

Only then will the great selfish swathes of Britain realise we need to generate our own power and vastly more importantly, we need to insulate and drive power saving design and efficiency. 

Classic right wingers, more interested in petty point scoring (**** travel arrangements, like) rather than focusing on the pressing matters at hand.

Yeah but aeroplane! Hypocrite!

post on Monday evening, Sauven added his personal apologies, saying, From the responses to my question today, it is very clear a lot of Greenpeace supporters feel this was the wrong decision.

Seems like it is not just right wingers who disagreed with his decision http://tinyurl.com/p9yjrcl

Classic right wingers, more interested in petty point scoring (**** travel arrangements, like) rather than focusing on the pressing matters at hand.

he shoiuld be travelling 'everywhere' on horse and cart. For the sea, use a yacht that harnesses wind power. :mrgreen:

he shoiuld be travelling 'everywhere' on horse and cart. For the sea, use a yacht that harnesses wind power. :mrgreen:

Unbelievable.  Is it it really wrong to expect the boss of an organisation concerned with the environment not to have a massive carbon footprint and avoid unnecessary air travel?  I thought the environment was a pressing matter?

Yeah I don't get why people can't use video conferencing etc for meetings, the tech is good and for the most part reliable.

I work full-time for a company 150 miles away and could count the number of times I have seen my boss in the last 12 months on one hand.

Edited by andyjsg

Yep, I'm 'based' in an office in Redditch - I went there last week for the first time in three months. Similarly a lot of my drawing work is completed by guys over at Waltham Abbey - I've never been there.

The price of a train to London at peak time will pay for some pretty decent video kit. I've also got weird black magic software that allows us all to jump onto each others computers and take over who's clicking and pointing at what whilst we all sit in our own houses.

I'm in the house today, the boss knows that, he's in his house. The work is getting done. Later on I'll turn the music down and run through an hour of phone calls.

Having said that, I'll be in Suffolk later, for a job that cannot be done remotely. So yeah, having spent two and a half days working from home I'm now going to do a 500 mile round trip by car. At either end of which doubtless there will be people tutting at me for driving a big fat mother ship of a car - a car that hasn't been out of the garage since the weekend but now needs to get me to somewhere that doesn't have a train station or an airport that I'm not prepared to take 5 days cycling to.

I think that's reasonable.

• Like 1

Â