The New Condem Government

bickster

Greens on course to getting 10% of the vote, apparently.

Not bad.

If they'd been given the same TV opportunities as UKIP, it might have been better still.

I am not sure about that.

If the Greens had been subjected to as much scrutiny as UKIP, people might have got round to actually reading their manifesto and might have concluded that behind the benign Lucas smile is the sort of left-wing statist agenda which promises to bring about an environmentally sound version of East Germany.

Euphemisms like, "quieter, cleaner, safer streets" can only mean fewer and slower cars, and "move away from an obsession with growth" means shrinking the economy.

Raising the tax-burden from 36% to 40% of gdp is probably not what the 'squeezed middle' would want to inflict upon themselves, especially if that gdp is shrinking.

Re-introducing the fuel-tax escalator, increasing tax on alcohol by 50%, and adding VAT to the price of a new house, are not the sort of things the vast majority of people want and would probably consider extreme.

If members of the Green Party were subjected to the same amount of scrutiny as UKIP, there is little doubt that we would find all sorts of eco-idealists who would want long-haul flights banned, strict limits to be placed on the import of food, and a ban on the slaughter of farm animals etc.

It is the Green Party's aim to base the UK economy on manufacturing and agriculture, which would take the country backwards. 

They would assume a lot more power to the state, control the economy centrally, and ensure capital flight would impoverish the country.

This is far more extreme than UKIP's promise to control immigration and cut a few taxes.

So you genuinely wouldn't want to live in a quieter, cleaner, safer street? 

That list has actually got me interested......

I made no reference to what I would prefer, I only mentioned, what I thought most of the people I know, would dislike because they are obsessed with getting more stuff and enjoying more services.

The Green Party's vision may be laudable but it would be dissimulation to pretend that what they want to do, is entirely moderate or benign.

Out of the Lib Dems, Labour, the Conservatives and UKIP. I probably prefer UKIP's transport policy.

What is it, to build a big fence and blow up the channel tunnel?

• Like 4

The Greens would put up fuel duty, road tax, lower speed limits, 'pedestrianisation', car purchase tax, off street parking levies, forced retaking of your driving test every 5 years, "impose safety and pollution standards on historic cars".

No thank you.

Sounds alright to me ;)

Get a bicycle.

The Greens would put up fuel duty, road tax, lower speed limits, 'pedestrianisation', car purchase tax, off street parking levies, forced retaking of your driving test every 5 years, "impose safety and pollution standards on historic cars".

No thank you.

Sounds alright to me ;)

Get a bicycle.

Bicycles are for children.

No thank you.

Sounds alright to me ;)

Get a bicycle.

Bloody extremists!

I strongly believe there should be regular re testing of all drivers, say, every 5 or 10 years.

As a minimum it would create self funding employment and get people to refresh their knowledge of the highway code. Potentially it would reduce the number of accidents and save lives.

No thank you.

Sounds fantastic

So if UKIP win the popular vote in the euro election results tomorrow does that mean those who voted for them are mostly extremists, or might they be expressing a legitimate objection to the EU and uncontrolled immigration from its member countries?

Who knows AWOL. I'd guess there's a strong element of anti EU, a stronger element of anti immigration, a good deal of protest against, just everything.

On the local elections, their share of the vote dropped a chunk since the last ones 12 months ago, they did badly in that there fancy London, where their own candidate said London voters are younger and better educated and that's why they don't vote ukips.

ukips are predominantly older, white, conservatiive and fearful.

They did well in Eastern places where there's a lot of migrant seasonal farm workers, so I'm guessing people there are disturbed at their smaller towns and villages being "inundated" with outsiders which puts a strain on all kinds of services and a kind of familiarity and to an extent insularity.

• Like 4

Â