The New Condem Government

bickster

I honestly don't think the BBC are biased in favour of UKIP. It's funny because most UKIP supporters seem convinced that there's a media campaign against them, whereas others think the media are trying to promote them and portray them in a positive light. Which is it? Probably somewhere in between. The media just like to hype things that's all.

Certain audience members are placed so they know who to ask? :detect:

I'm not sure how they decide but when you apply to attend you are asked fill out a question so it has to be predetermined. I would say the BBC are anti UKIP. Nigel Farage has been on a lot because he's in the news a lot. The former respect leader Salma Yaqoob used to be on a lot too. So they do have leaders of so called minority parties on quite a lot.

The NO2EU's case against Europe is interesting and quite compelling and so it does seem strange that the Left prefer to attack UKIP rather than promote NO2EU's case.

Here's a quote, which amazed me:

"The wholesale suspension of trade union collective bargaining as a condition of EU “bailouts” in Ireland, Portugal and Greece also demonstrates that trade union rights are an obstacle to EU plans for restructuring labour markets."

Here's the whole article:

http://www.no2eu.com/?page_id=570

I suspect the lack of coverge of NO2EU is more to do with Labour's rather efficient media machine. Go left of Labour and you're in the wilderness, basically. Also Bob Crow died, which no doubt had an effect.

There is no question that the EU is a problem as it is run by Big Finance and is pretty much unaccountable. It goes against a lot of what I stand for, but I still wouldn't leave it, because I've more trust in fellow Europeans to achieve change than in the elitist Lords and Earls and their public schoolboys (and I emphasise boys) running the country for the benefit of their own class.

The mechanisms to achieve that change need to be put in place, admittedly. Hence staying put and sorting out the EU.

• Like 2

It seems likely that the tedious debate about UKIP has been artificially created because the difference between Conservative and Labour has been reduced to how their respective leaders eat a bacon sandwich.

5380dcf4.jpg

Unfortunately that's the age we live in. "Oh no, look how he eats that sandwich, we can't vote for him". This story seems to be almost as big as the elections themselves.

It seems likely that the tedious debate about UKIP has been artificially created because the difference between Conservative and Labour has been reduced to how their respective leaders eat a bacon sandwich.

5380dcf4.jpg

Unfortunately that's the age we live in. "Oh no, look how he eats that sandwich, we can't vote for him". This story seems to be almost as big as the elections themselves.

Years ago I couldn't grasp the fact that, what the PM wore on a ceremonial occasion, mattered to people.

I couldn't believe that people were that shallow and that stupid but I was wrong.

The fact that that photo was in The Independent, which is marketed at a so-called elite, says everything.

H. L. Mencken's famous quote about no one losing money by underestimating the intelligence of the people, gets truer by the day.  :)

• Like 1

The fact that that photo was in The Independent, which is marketed at a so-called elite, says everything.

I don't think it says much at all, other than that the i / Independent like all websites (it wasn't in the paper, I don't think - I didn't see it in the actual paper version of the Independent) chase hits for revenue.

I don't think the Independent is "marketed at a so-called elite" either. It's not really marketed at all, but what there is tends to be about it putting various sides of a debate/discussion/story, rather than being driven by proprietorial bias. In that it mostly succeeds. The i seems to be marketed on the basis that it's a a kind of concise version of the Indie, for a much lower price.

The Independent has Farage as a columnist, had Dominic Lawson (raving Tory, climate change denier, and son of former chancellor) as a columnist and also has left wing people as columnists (Mark Steel, Owen Jones till recently). it's good on financial and economic analysis.

It's less "preachy" than the Guardian, but does have a left of centre feel about some of its editorial stuff but it doesn't support any particular party.

The cricket and football writers are good.

• Like 2

yep, pretty much spot on Blandy.

I've recently switched to the Guardian as it's free in Waitrose (could I be more middle class?). But it's just not the same, it's a bit limp and apologetic. Enjoyed yesterday's article by Will Self on Rod Liddle. Then remembered I liked Self when he wrote for the Independent.

• Like 1

I don't think it says much at all, other than that the i / Independent like all websites (it wasn't in the paper, I don't think - I didn't see it in the actual paper version of the Independent) chase hits for revenue.

I don't think the Independent is "marketed at a so-called elite" either. It's not really marketed at all, but what there is tends to be about it putting various sides of a debate/discussion/story, rather than being driven by proprietorial bias. In that it mostly succeeds. The i seems to be marketed on the basis that it's a a kind of concise version of the Indie, for a much lower price.

The Independent has Farage as a columnist, had Dominic Lawson (raving Tory, climate change denier, and son of former chancellor) as a columnist and also has left wing people as columnists (Mark Steel, Owen Jones till recently). it's good on financial and economic analysis.

It's less "preachy" than the Guardian, but does have a left of centre feel about some of its editorial stuff but it doesn't support any particular party.

The cricket and football writers are good.

From the comments of their on-line clientèle, they are increasingly accused of publishing too many trivial and sensational stories.

The layout and design suggests that their on-line version is increasingly targeted at mobile platform users: who like nice big pictures.

The Guardian is obviously the paper of choice for schoolteachers and other public employees - it might even be compulsory.  :)

Between the Guardian and the Inde it is possible to construct one decent newspaper but they both have their faults.

• Like 2

I suspect the lack of coverge of NO2EU is more to do with Labour's rather efficient media machine. Go left of Labour and you're in the wilderness, basically. Also Bob Crow died, which no doubt had an effect.

I think it's more because they just aren't that popular at the moment (they only got 1% of the vote in 2009) and are only an EU party anyway.

...the left liberal consensus that unlimited immigration is a good thing.

It's more than a shade bizarre that the free movement of people and little (or as little as possible) protectionism in the labour market are seen nowadays to come under the umbrella of the nebulous 'left liberal consensus'.
  • Like 1

I worked for 3 years in Malta doing a job a Maltese person could have learnt in a couple of months.

Whilst I was there I hogged a 3 bedroom beach front apartment all to myself because the company could afford it.

There is no question that the EU is a problem as it is run by Big Finance and is pretty much unaccountable. It goes against a lot of what I stand for, but I still wouldn't leave it, because I've more trust in fellow Europeans to achieve change than in the elitist Lords and Earls and their public schoolboys (and I emphasise boys) running the country for the benefit of their own class.

The mechanisms to achieve that change need to be put in place, admittedly. Hence staying put and sorting out the EU.

Thank you, my stance exactly.

I worked for 3 years in Malta doing a job a Maltese person could have learnt in a couple of months.

Whilst I was there I hogged a 3 bedroom beach front apartment all to myself because the company could afford it.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's emigrants. Going over there, taking their jobs...
  • Like 1

If there's one thing I can't stand it's emigrants. Going over there, taking their jobs...

Playing the man not the ball? I'm amazed...

Where I am the system is simple, all expats pay private medical and education for self and all dependants, 12 months rent paid upfront, when your contract expires you leave - if it's not extended. No citizenship possibility, if your kids are mid year at school and you get sacked then that's just tough shit. The idea that an expat would get involved in public protest is laughable, unlike the fake Romanians protesting against UKIP in Croydon. Don't respect their culture and festivals? Get to jail. That's how the Gulf works, but of course the resident lefties will know all this.

I like their support of the Greens' agenda where the state has control of everything. No personal responsibility required, that's the governments' job.

What a joke.

Â