Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Thing with Sturridge is that you would be shelling out a lot on wages for a player that is nowhere near ready or even proven. We need proven players now if we want to get into the CL.

Spurs had a lot of "proven" players. Keane's Woodgates of this world.

They took a gamble in blooding youngsters who were skilful, quick, agile and hungry (Bale, Huddlestone, Lennon, Crouch etc....)

Where are they now ?

We need to swap players who think they have made it (Carew , Heskey , and in MON's eyes - NRC) to players who want to make it.

Milner is a perfect example of that.

I would go Micah Richards , Daniel Sturridge, and if poss, but improbable, Huddlestone or more realistically Ireland

Then we will have the hunger , and the ability to go forward

Agree we need hungry players but just because they are young does not make them hungry.

Sturridge went to Chelski knowing he was at least 3rd or 4th choice and hasn't really done anything of note. By all accounts he had the chance to come here so not sure why he would come here now.

Huddlestone is definetly out of our reach- as you say look at where Spurs are now.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the whole Sturridge thing. I'm pretty sure many people base their opinion on what they have read rather than what they have seen.

When have we seen signs of Sturridge being a star in the making? No more times than we have Delfouneso that's for sure.

So Sturridge has a bad attitude and yet one of the top 3 managers in the world, possibly ever, has chosen to blood him in every game, Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup (including the final)

Nah mate, I think I'll stick to Ancelotti's view of him thanks :D

Oh, and by the way, if you say, well why would he sell him then , I have already answered it - I don't think Ancelotti wants to - but Abramovic wants Torres.

And if you have Torres , Anelka and Drogba (as well as Kalou) then a young Daniel Sturridge may be available.

Even if it is on loan !

Can't see Chelsea loaning him out.

Too bigger wages for someone not yet complete.

Won't be available to buy I doubt. I also don't think O'Neill believes in giving someone like Sturridge, unproven say 40k a week.

That said, if there was a deal that could see Sturridge come here on loan with the wages not as much as we are led to believe or a deal between us and Chelsea, I think O'Neill would take it as he likes him (I'm sure he went for him)

Chelsea will be in no rush to sell or loan out good young players especially with the impending introduction of the home grown rule.

Was this not the main reason him and Turnbull got signed

Daniel Sturridge is an international forward in the making, and if you can't see it .........

How can i see it if he doesn't play?

In the Premier League this season he has started 2 games and come on as a sub for 11 games.... 1 goal. In the FA Cup, 3 starts and 1 sub appearance, 4 goals. Looks a bit more respectable. Goals against Cardiff, Preston North End, and Watford.

He's still unproven in the Premier League and imo we should be looking for the guy who has experience at the higher levels and who can take us to the next level.

I'd imagine Delf's stats are not far away from those. Would seem odd to spend a fair bit of cash for someone who may not be any better in a few years time. Especially since they'd both be fighting for the same place.

havent chelsea bypassed that home grown rule by getting them very young? like how fabregas counts as home grown for le arse? IIRC you need 8 trained at the club, 4 from that country, so terry, cole x 2 and lamps is the 4 they dont need sturridge for the CL

and im with wainy and zatman, he got hammered in the papers earlier in the year for not bothering in training, too much too young IMO

Daniel Sturridge is an international forward in the making, and if you can't see it .........

How can i see it if he doesn't play?

In the Premier League this season he has started 2 games and come on as a sub for 11 games.... 1 goal. In the FA Cup, 3 starts and 1 sub appearance, 4 goals. Looks a bit more respectable. Goals against Cardiff, Preston North End, and Watford.

He's still unproven in the Premier League and imo we should be looking for the guy who has experience at the higher levels and who can take us to the next level.

I'd imagine Delf's stats are not far away from those. Would seem odd to spend a fair bit of cash for someone who may not be any better in a few years time. Especially since they'd both be fighting for the same place.

Delfouneso - 2 starts, 11 sub appearances, 3 goals (Premier League, Carling Cup and FA Cup.)

Delfouneso and Sturridge are almost at identical positions in development. Given starts in the Cup competitions, they will score goals. I think Delfouneso in his Villa career has scored like 7 goals in 8/9 starts? in various competitions?

Both haven't really been given a full chance in the Premiership though to say anything more than both are very good prospects.

Sky Sports

Nelson Valdez: Borussia Dortmund Striker, 26, can also play in midfield.

His agent is thought to be eyeing up a move for him before the World Cup with England a possible destination.

Barry McIntosh (his agent) says: "I have moved a number of South American players in recent years to England, but he would be amongst the best"..

Does anyone know anything about this guy/ seen him play/ or who his agent has represented previously?

(If he hasn't moved by the WC then I think I'll keep an eye on Paraguay's games.. just in case!)

Sky Sports

His agent is thought to be eyeing up a move for him before the World Cup with England a possible destination.

Barry McIntosh (his agent) says: "I have moved a number of South American players in recent years to England, but he would be amongst the best"..

Does anyone know anything about this guy/ seen him play/ or who his agent has represented previously?

(If he hasn't moved by the WC then I think I'll keep an eye on Paraguay's games.. just in case!)

interesting- he sounds like the Shaun Maloney/Patrik Berger type player MON's been trying to make Sidwell into the past two years.

So Sturridge has a bad attitude and yet one of the top 3 managers in the world, possibly ever, has chosen to blood him in every game, Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup (including the final)

Oh, and by the way, if you say, well why would he sell him then , I have already answered it - I don't think Ancelotti wants to - but Abramovic wants Torres.

And if you have Torres , Anelka and Drogba (as well as Kalou) then a young Daniel Sturridge may be available.

Even if it is on loan !

I agree completely, we should've got him 1st time around and given 50k per week but as usual we were too slow in the transfer market

Even if it is on loan !

I agree completely, we should've got him 1st time around and given 50k per week but as usual we were too slow in the transfer market

Why would we give a 19 or 20 year old 50k? Ridiculous wage demands.

Sky Sports

interesting- he sounds like the Shaun Maloney/Patrik Berger type player MON's been trying to make Sidwell into the past two years.

I really like Valdez, one of my favourite players but I'm not sure if he's what we need. A very good team player who runs everywhere like Milner, but his finishing has always been very suspect. We need the opposite. I could see MON being very interested though.

Even if it is on loan !

Exactly.

Even if it is on loan !

you have to pay top dollar to the best young talent

Even if it is on loan !

you have to pay top dollar to the best young talent

You don't. Only the select few go for the money early on, and quite frankly we're not in the position to do that. If our firsy XI heard that a 20 year old kid come in and was on 50k they'd all want that or more. This would probably double the wage total for the club, something we can't afford to do. Financially stupid.